Whole 30 workout recommendations?

Jamie.Roman1

Hey everyone! My name is Jamie, today is my day 1 with the whole 30 program! I'm wondering if anyone had workout recommendations during this time? I told myself maybe I'd just do cardio all month and start building back my muscle when I finish. I'd like to drop some pant sizes for sure. Im a moderate gym go'er, 3-4 days a week and enjoy all forms of workouts ESPECIALLY weight training.

i welcome ALL thoughts!

• Moderators

Workouts are personal to the person doing them.  We suggest that you contact a personal trainer in your area to help you make a gym plan.

Whole30 did partner with tmacfitness for a special offer, which you can find by going to the Whole30 instagram site.  I'm not sure what it entails but it's something to look into.

I wouldn't go all cardio for a month because you'll potentially lose muscle that you would rather hold onto.  Instead, I suggest backing off on strength workouts -- focus on perceived exertion rather than the reps and weight moved.  The same is probably true of your cardio exercise, actually.  It's likely that your perceived exertion will really vary for a while, in comparison to what you think  you should be able to do.  Just go with perceived exertion and you'll be fine.

Also, get lots of sleep.  And lots of water.

ThyPeace, really, like go to bed an hour early.

Throughout each of my Whole30s, I've been doing Crossfit. For my first Whole30, I worked out a lot less than usual and with less intensity. My body really needed to recover and adapt to all the changes, so I had to take more time off than I anticipated. Fortunately, taking time off while on the Whole30 really changes your perspective on whether you use the gym as punishment for what you ate, or if you really do enjoy working out. I think paying attention to those thoughts will be really important! Especially if you start missing the weight lifting because you enjoy it!

All the other Whole30s (This current one is my 5th), I fortunately haven't had to take time off to recover. I have learned how to listen to my body when it says "hey, I'm not doing this today. I need to recover." Following the pre- and post-wod meals also helps with listening to your body's recovery signals. 

Follow the program, pay attention to your body, and do whatever workouts feel right to you! Keep notes too, I find that helps a lot! (Notes that don't involve stepping on the scale of course!)

21 hours ago, ThyPeace said:

I wouldn't go all cardio for a month because you'll potentially lose muscle that you would rather hold onto.  Instead, I suggest backing off on strength workouts -- focus on perceived exertion rather than the reps and weight moved.  The same is probably true of your cardio exercise, actually.  It's likely that your perceived exertion will really vary for a while, in comparison to what you think  you should be able to do.  Just go with perceived exertion and you'll be fine.

Also, get lots of sleep.  And lots of water.

ThyPeace, really, like go to bed an hour early.

I'll have to look into what that jargon all means but thank you so much!

1 hour ago, crossiter said:

Throughout each of my Whole30s, I've been doing Crossfit. For my first Whole30, I worked out a lot less than usual and with less intensity. My body really needed to recover and adapt to all the changes, so I had to take more time off than I anticipated. Fortunately, taking time off while on the Whole30 really changes your perspective on whether you use the gym as punishment for what you ate, or if you really do enjoy working out. I think paying attention to those thoughts will be really important! Especially if you start missing the weight lifting because you enjoy it!

All the other Whole30s (This current one is my 5th), I fortunately haven't had to take time off to recover. I have learned how to listen to my body when it says "hey, I'm not doing this today. I need to recover." Following the pre- and post-wod meals also helps with listening to your body's recovery signals. 

Follow the program, pay attention to your body, and do whatever workouts feel right to you! Keep notes too, I find that helps a lot! (Notes that don't involve stepping on the scale of course!)

Super good info! I think I'm going to rotate between easy/moderate cardio 3 days a week and LIGHT weightlifting. I'm only on day two and feeling a little weaker/depleted so I want to make sure I don't injure myself!

Archived