Arriving At Zen

Carol

Zen.  I'm not there yet.  Or am I?  

I'm certainly  not at the end of Whole 30.  Today is only Day 29.  

I opened my sliding glass door and brought a steel pot inside.   The pot contained a brine that had been cooling overnight on my patio.   I slipped a beautiful point cut of beef brisket and placed it in to the fridge to cure.  Sometime after Easter, I'll have 5 pounds of homemade corned beef.   For the first time in a month, I'm planning a non-compliant dish.

I still have more to do.  I have to finish my W30, and plan my reintro.  But if I look towards the horizon, I can see that shiny new bike waiting for me.  

I'm looking forward to the ride :)

Day 30.  When  I wake tomorrow, I will begin reintro.  The Slow Roll is the path I'll be taking.  

Two days from now, I see my nurse for a follow up.   I'll see the impact that Whole30 had on my blood pressure and weight.   Perhaps then I'll be in a celebratory mood.  But right now I'm more uneasy about the visit than anything else.

As an avid hiker and camper -- and also as someone who lives in a stormy climate, I'm used to having a supply of high protein provisions around the house.  Foil packets of salmon, tuna, and chicken are great when adventuring outdoors.    Canned tuna, chicken, pork, and turkey can always be found on my kitchen shelf.   They can be the foundation of a decent quick meal.  And  they can make a passable meal at room temperature even if the power is out, everything is dark, and the zombies are attacking.   

With my usual stash on hand, I *thought* I was in good shape to begin my W30 a month ago.  But....as I recall from my failed W30 attempt, several years ago -- READ THE LABELS!  Commercial food processors add many sneaky ingredients in there that may not be compliant.   The day before it was go time, I took a look at my pantry and my heart sank.  The foil packets?   All non-compliant -- packaged in a vegetable broth with soy.  The canned meats and fish?   All but 2 cans of tuna fish were non-compliant, due to packaging with soy or food starch.   Le sigh.

I'm disappointed that my usual stash couldn't be utilized on W30, but I would have been more disappointed if I ate some without reading the labels first.  

Breakfast was compliant template meal.  Baked eggs in avocado, and a splash of coconut aminos, and some chilled cucumber-dill soup.   

But lunch will be a salmon salad using the previously forbidden packets.   I'm ready.  Lets do this!

Epiphany time.

The salmon salad was one packet of salmon mixed with avocado.  Served with a nice batch of leafy greens and a cucumber.  During W30, I made similar salads but usualy from chicken.  But the portion of chicken that I used was much larger than the single packet of salmon.

Why did I ever think this was enough for a meal when I was hiking?   No wonder I felt like I was cannibalizing my own muscles.  

Made a meat sauce for the zoodles I cut for last night's dinner.   The goat dairy near me has recent begun selling their own goat meat, so ground goat went in to the sauce instead of ground beef.   I am beginning to like goat.   It smells a little odd to me, but not in an unpleasant way.   The nutritional profile of goat meat is outstanding!   It is leaner than hamburg.    Sure, we sll love our fats, but I have always had a preference for leaner meats.    I could eat venison alllllll daaaay.

A bigger win?    The goat dairy will do their best to stock bones for me!   This is a huge win as beef bones and chicken/duck feet are tough to find at the other farms.

The reintro portion if dinner?    At Walgreens, I found a $5 wine marked down to $3.49.    We all know the best wines can be found at U.S. chain drug stores, right?    (That's sarcasm).    I added a generous  spalsh of the cheap Merlot to the pot as I was cooking, and poured a bit in a glass to sample for myself.   Was it as bad as I was thinking?    No.   It was worse.    But it spiffed up the sauce perfectly.

I served the zoodles (sauteed in bacon) and sauce with some kale (also sauteed in bacon) and a large salad.

Hopefully the nurse thinks I am doing well.   I'm still anxious.

Archived