Day 1 April 10th

PARyan

@PARyan @Purejoy

I've been feeling down too. Not sure if it's because I don't have enough fat intake or cause I saw my ex yesterday and he makes me emotional (probably both, lol!)

A friend of mine who introduced me to this said that everyone is different and sometimes we'll feel a change later than the timeline said. I think we should just focus on following the rules.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is cause there's a history of diabetes in my family. @jmbcn do you know which starchy vegetables would be good to eat in this case? I LOOOOOOVE potatoes but I've been told I eat too much of them lol so I haven't had any since I started, but maybe that's why I'm hungry?

8 minutes ago, simpleexannie said:

do you know which starchy vegetables would be good to eat in this case? I LOOOOOOVE potatoes but I've been told I eat too much of them lol so I haven't had any since I started, but maybe that's why I'm hungry?

Basically any root veg contains starch, but for improved mood white potatoes are your best bet, particularly when eaten with oil fish. Basically the tryptophan (the precursor to seratonin - a happy hormone) in the spuds makes the DHA (omega 3 fatty acids) in the oily fish more bio-available, and omega 3's are also linked to improved mood/better brain function etc. If you want to experience the Tiger Blood then eat plenty of fish...

As far as eating too many potatoes goes that depends - are you pre-diabetic? Or is it just a family history we're talking about? Are you active or sedentary?

Potatoes (& other veg) will provide fibre which will make you feel full, but the fat & protein provide better *actual* satiety - keep a log of your food, then let us have a look and maybe we can suggest some tweaks that help keep you feeling fuller for longer. And remember that often people interpret thirst as hunger - how much water are you drinking each day?

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

As far as eating too many potatoes goes that depends - are you pre-diabetic? Or is it just a family history we're talking about? Are you active or sedentary?

Doesn't tryptophan make you sleepy?

I'm pretty sedentary during the day cause I have a boring desk job. Although I do have a standing desk and I use it quite often. And after work I go to the gym maybe 3 times a week?

I haven't had my blood tested for a while so I'm not sure about whether I'm prediabetic. I just know that I wasn't healthy before because I love fries and chocolate. My Mom has diabetes, and she had it when she was pregnant with me. And my Aunt had gestational diabetes too, but she's currently not diabetic. And my Grandpa had diabetes during the last several years of his life. And I've been drinking water regularly but haven't kept track of the amount.

26 minutes ago, simpleexannie said:

Doesn't tryptophan make you sleepy?

Kind of. The body needs tryptophan in order produce seratonin - a brain chemical associated with feelings of well being & relaxation. Sleep also plays a huge role in general well being.

You *may* be okay in a day or two to drop the starches to the days that you train. If your owrk outs are intense you'll deplete muscle glycogen stores which don't normalise on a daily basis so you'll need to replenish them - that's where the starches will come into play.

On the days you're more sedentary you might want to give the starches a miss. I'd wait until such times as your body is fat adapted though - once you're able to easily go 4-5hrs or so without feeling the need to snack, & when you have steady throughout the day...

I've read a few places, I swear even on this forum somewhere, that eating at Chipotle restaurants is OK as long as you stick to carnitas over lettuce with guacamole and non-corn salsa.  Hoping that's true, since that was my dinner tonight...(@jmcbn - did I err?).

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, PARyan said:

I've read a few places, I swear even on this forum somewhere, that eating at Chipotle restaurants is OK as long as you stick to carnitas over lettuce with guacamole and non-corn salsa.  Hoping that's true, since that was my dinner tonight...(@jmcbn - did I err?).

For any restaurant, it's best to check before you eat there -- Chipotle's website is very helpful about listing ingredients. Unless it's changed lately, carnitas over salad or whatever raw vegetables they have with guac and salsa should be fine. 

Hey 4/10'ers, just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  I am managing all right and survived Easter though there were some tempting moments.  In general I'm spending a lot of time in the kitchen, which isn't necessarily bad, but a little stressful when I'm tired or really just want to be relaxing with my wife and kids.  Over the next few days, assuming I stay on plan, I'd like to figure out how to make meals in a quantities that last longer (especially with a family eating them, most of the time) and also broaden my choices a little - I tend to get stuck in a pattern once I find a few things I like.  Anyhow - if you are still going, great job and keep it up!  If you faltered - let us know when you plan to try again.

I'm a 4/11 er. We celebrate Passover AND Easter and waited until after our Seder to start. Easter was easy-isa, but I was out of town so was just focused on compliance. I probably didn't eat enough over all and ate way to many nuts. I did accidentally discover a great "mock-tail." I ordered a Topo Chico (Mexican sparkling mineral water) with lime at a Mexican restaurant where everyone was partaking in beer and margaritas.The waiter brought me a glass with a salted rim, a nice portion of lime juice along with my bottle of Topo Chico. It was tart and fizzy and salty and felt special. Looking forward to mixing it up with proteins, fats and veggies this week! 

Day 7 and my first all-in dinner, meaning I made everything and embraced the meat and fats! Tenderloin, zucchini noodles with olive oil and red onions, roasted potatoes with s & p, olive oil, parsley & paprika and a slaw made with watermelon radishes, cucumbers, fennel, cilantro dressed with homemade aioli, lemon, olive oil.

IMG_0468.JPG

I'm on day 9 and I guess most of you are on day 10! 1/3 of the way through. This morning I worked out before eating and came home to make a leftover chicken/egg salad with those things, capers, watermelon radish, cucumber, homemade aioli, lemon juice and tabasco! My husband checked on Tabasco which has no sugar and then I also checked Valentina Salsa Picante a Mexican hot sauce common here in Houston. My kids put it on chips and popcorn, but I'll be adding it to all kinds of Whole30. Anyway, I gobbled down my salad and am feeling pretty full. I can't stand store bought mayo, but LOVE my homemade. 

IMG_0027.JPG

Hi @AnnaE67,

Your pictures are great and it looks (and sounds) like you're making a really great variety of food.  Keep it up!  I'm on Day 10 and hitting a bit of a wall as far as advanced meal prep (I need to make something for dinner with limited time.  Yikes!).  I look forward to more of your posts!

Archived