Weight Gain after Reintro

Morning all,

I completed Whole30 in August of last year, which I had done due to some GI issues that have since resolved.  (Thanks Whole30!!!)  However, I have re-introduced most foods back into my diet with the exception of some that were obviously causing the issue.  I am currently training for my 2nd marathon and have been consistently gaining weight since January.  It's not a lot at once, but consistent, establishing a new higher baseline almost every day.

I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day, distributed well between CHO, fat, and protein (I check with MyFitnessPal).  I run between 30-50 miles per week and strength train 2-3x per week.

Anyone else have this problem?  I'm pretty frustrated.

5 minutes ago, ballerina2180 said:

I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day, distributed well between CHO, fat, and protein (I check with MyFitnessPal).  I run between 30-50 miles per week and strength train 2-3x per week.

As you know Whole30 is not about counting calories, and I'm assuming you're not Whole30ing right now, but it sounds to me like you might not be eating enough to support your activity levels - or that what you ARE eating is not nutrient dense.

What do your meals look like, and what have you added back on the regular?

Are you including a rest day in your schedule?

How is your sleep?

Actually I eat pretty well even though I'm not following Whole30 religiously right now.

Breakfast - steel cut oats with hard boiled egg, banana OR 1/2 sweet potato with 1/2 avocado and hard boiled egg, banana

Sometimes I'll mix in some greek yogurt

Lunch - salad - spinach, tuna, tomatoes, green olives, green pepper, carrots, apple

Dinner - depends....usually chicken with sweet potato and veggies (broccoli or kale)

Snack - apple, sometimes almonds before I work out.  I have the occasional splurges on the weekend as well, but nothing out of control

I have a rest day with one lighter day during the week.  I sleep about 6-7 hours per night. 

*pulls hair out*

Your breakfast certainly looks light on protein...

Sleep is also on the low side.

How much water are you drinking?

Are you incorporating postWO meals?

Is your rest day complete rest, and the lighter day active recovery?

I drink A LOT of water.  At least literally half my body weight in ounces. 

I usually eat breakfast or dinner after I work out (either right away in the morning or after work)

It's not COMPLETE rest, but it's maybe walking for 20 minutes at lunch, so again, no real big deal there.

And I have no more space for more sleep hahaha

9 minutes ago, ballerina2180 said:

I usually eat breakfast or dinner after I work out

This really doesn't negate your body's need for protein - especially after strength training, and since you're light on protein at breakfast anyways I think that's where you need to do some work.

Try incorporating some lean protein after your training sessions on top of what you're currently eating and see how you go. I think your body is compensating for the general lack of protein intake by slowing the metabolism to burn less fuel.

Archived