Frozen green plantain tostones?

LauraOC

Doing some research for a group I moderate. Someone posted these and I'VE never seen them before. They are Chiquita brand. Ingredients are sliced green plantains & palm oil. Ready to prepare at home. Of couse, they are saying they aren't chips, so they're fine. Looks like a new gray area to me. Technically ok, but... Then again, foljs,are buying pre prepped/spiralized veggies, sweet potatoes cut into fries, etc. What do y'all think?

https://www.publix.com/p/RIO-PCI-505304?ch=8.4.

Screenshot_2017-04-11-21-45-14.png

Screenshot_2017-04-11-21-45-21.png

Look at the directions on thr link.   These are a no go because they require deep frying.   

Directions

Keep frozen. How to Prepare? Deep Fryer or Pan: Crispy Tostones: (Do not thaw) Preheat oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place a small amount of frozen tostones in fryer and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and serve warm. Season with salt if desired. Tender Tostones: (Thaw) Preheat oil to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place a small amount of thawed tostones in fryer and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and serve warm. Season with salt if desired. Do not microwave.

No doubt someone will say "but.....but......it says deep fryer OR pan!"     The vessel used doesn't matter.  Pouring oil in to a stovetop vessel and heating it to a specidied temperature is the first step in the deep frying process.

Another thought.    Tostones, in the Latino tradition are fried twice.    Once to fry the green plaintain slice.  Then the slice is flattened in to a chip and they are fried a second time.   These look like they have already been fried and flattened the factory, yes?   Its just up to you to give it the second frying.   

This is a commercially prepared chip to me.

If Chiquita sold slices of green plantains, with no verboten ingredients added, that would be OK.    Much like the Trader Joe's riced cauliflower is OK.

I made sauteed plantain slices (from fresh, very ripe plantains) as an addition to a dinner this week, they are so easy to make with a bit of coconut oil and a cast iron pan, you can get them as crispy as you like and they are so delicious ! probably better than store-bought plantain chips.

Just a thought !

On 4/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, MicMD2503 said:

I made sauteed plantain slices (from fresh, very ripe plantains) as an addition to a dinner this week, they are so easy to make with a bit of coconut oil and a cast iron pan, you can get them as crispy as you like and they are so delicious ! probably better than store-bought plantain chips.

Just a thought !

Thank you! Yes! Totally! That's how it's supposed to be done. I am a moderator for a FB Whole30 group, and this was posted as a suggestion. I was trying to get some info for our members. 

Archived