Kale vs Spinach

I know kale is supposed to be a super food and all, but am wondering if it's really all that much better nutritionally than spinach. Here's the thing: I don't really like the stuff (or collard, dandelion or whatever greens), feeling as Erma Bombeck famously said about celery, "It's not really a food, but is actually a member of the cellulose family." To me, it's bitter, tough, and hard to chew to a point where you can swallow it. I did steam some baby kale this morning, drowned it in clarified butter and topped it with a couple of eggs, which rendered it semi-edible ( and detracted from my enjoyment of the eggs.) Bottom line: if it really offers me a lot more bang for the buck than spinach, I'll eat the stuff, but if not I'll stick with spinach, which I love (oh, and Swiss chard too)

• Moderators

You don't have to eat Kale... 'superfoods' are a construct of the media... if you're getting a rich variety of greens and other veggies, you do not have to force yourself to eat Kale.

That said, most people don't eat kale raw... even baby kale raw can be difficult.  However, if you did want to try it again raw, you can wash it, rip it up and then massage it with olive oil and a bit of salt and let it sit... it breaks down into a pretty tender green and has a great flavor.  No need to force yourself tho... there are other veggies you can eat :)

When I first heard of "massaged kale" I thought that sounded pretty strange! But it makes it much more edible and not so chewy. Another option is to chop it finely before either massaging in the dressing, steaming, or adding to a soup. Be sure to cut out the tough ribs; they aren't very edible either.

Stephanie

On 4/16/2017 at 4:14 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

You don't have to eat Kale... 'superfoods' are a construct of the media... if you're getting a rich variety of greens and other veggies, you do not have to force yourself to eat Kale.

That said, most people don't eat kale raw... even baby kale raw can be difficult.  However, if you did want to try it again raw, you can wash it, rip it up and then massage it with olive oil and a bit of salt and let it sit... it breaks down into a pretty tender green and has a great flavor.  No need to force yourself tho... there are other veggies you can eat :)

Thank you. I will try the massaging on the kale I have left.

Archived