Sulfur Dioxide accident

Help! I am on day 7, and I am so proud of myself for not giving up and drinking a beer or eating a bagel. But...on day 4 I was eating some cocoa almonds I made (from the cookbook) and threw in some goji berries I bought awhile ago from Sprouts. I don't know WHY I didn't look at the label, but I didn't. 

Upon going through the pantry tonight, I realized they had SULFUR DIOXIDE in there! Shoot, I am so upset. I've been doing really well and trying so hard. Am I screwed? Help! 

• Moderators

Bummer!  Those are the tough lessons about reading labels but often the ones that stick.

Sulphites can be extremely disruptive... consider doing a 'whole37'??

You can read the article 'do I have to start over' linked in my signature below or google 'whole30 do I have to start over' and then decide.

Well, it was on day 4 or 5 when I ate them, so would I just push my Whole30 back? Or just move forward from it more careful & label-focused? I read the article about starting over, but I am so disheartened to do that honestly. But if I have to, I have to, huh? My Whole30 is over May 9, so I could push it to May 12? 

• 1 year later...

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is (chemically) neither a sulfate (SO4) nor a sulfite (SO3). While it may contain sulfur, that's not the definition of sulfites or sulfates. The rule specifically states "No Sulfites," not "No Sulfur containing compounds." This may need to be clarified by the creators, but it would not be a bad idea to avoid them in the future. 

Archived