Is my breakfast too big?

Hello

I am on Day 29 and although I have not weighed myself, I can tell I have not lost any weight, as none of my clothes are fitting looser, and my stomach is still carrying a lot of weight.

I have been eating 'compliant' food and so when I wasn't losing weight I went online to 'troubleshooting' and it said you should count how many calories you're eating, 'it's possible you're eating too much oil'. I don't think my problem is oil; rather maybe too many starchy vegetables?

So I counted my breakfast: 3 eggs (213 calories), One 10 oz sweet potatoe (243 calories) chopped with 1 tsp coconut oil, 1/4 onion, and 1 tsp olive oil (for frying eggs) - 537 calories.

Is this too large a breakfast?!! Should I drop to half a sweet potatoe and incorporate other vegetables?  I am 5'10 and 192 lbs and aiming to get to 'healthy' weight for me of 180 lbs.

Lunch is  a hearty salad with lettuce, 6 oz chicken or salmon, tomatoe, cucumber and 1/2 apple and 1/4 avocado..they drizzle olive oil and balsamic generously, so I could possibly ask for it on the side and measure if you think this could also be issue.

Dinner I generally have 6 oz salmon with broccoli and sweet potatoe, or whole30 curry on cauliflower rice with chicken breast, or kale salad with 1 tbsp. tessemae dressing with burger or chicken, or meatballs with tomatoe sauce on zucchini noodles. Sometimes at dinner I have 'golden milk' made with gaya turmeric powder (has some date powder in it) and almond milk,

So my only tweaks I can see are: cut down carbs for breakfast, and start measuring salad dressing. But of course I'm not sure....appreciate your advice...

Thank you!

ps I plan to continue Whole 45  or Whole 60 but want to make sure I actually give myself the chance to lose weight, and so want to find out now if I need to tweak anything.

Megan

This isn't a weight loss diet, first of all. 

Whole30 does not advise counting calories, so I don't know where you got that. 

Are you exercising? Getting enough water? I know you said that your clothes still fit the same but is your sleep better or you have more energy? 

Hi..i completely understand this is not a weight loss diet, but I am seeking help as everyone I know who has done Whole30 has lost weight as a major side benefit...and I am frustrated I have not lost any. So I am trying to ask for help to trouble shoot what I'm eating. Please, appreciate some help.

• Moderators

Are your meals matching the template?  Your breakfast doesn't seem to have any veggies and it actually looks like you're not eating enough, which can mean your body is holding on to everything it gets.  That said, you have 12 pounds you say you want to lose.  It's very possible that your body is not interested in losing those 12 pounds... picking a number to weigh is incredibly arbitrary and not based in any sort of realism... you or someone has decided for you that you need to weight 180 pounds... what's the magic of that number?

The other thing is that under no circumstances would Whole30 have advised you to count calories... please don't... eat whole foods in quantities that match the template (including fat) and your body will heal and reach stasis... that might not be 180...

Don't start hacking the Whole30 by cutting out fat and counting calories... you will absolutely not end up where you think you want to be by doing that.

You are on Day 29.  Why not follow through with a Reintro on Day 31.  

The giant month hunk Whole 30's for weight loss without a Reintro process can turn upside down in the blink of an eye.  Many go for 2-6 months without one, only to find themselves right back where they started within days or weeks after the long, extended Whole 30 ends. Some went a year and it all came undone in less than half the time.

You're right there at the Reintro gate.  Walk through with diagnostic testing. Those that follow through with all of the steps are usually still standing waaaay into their futures.

You'll be glad you did.  That diagnostic testing process is not only for the physical Food Reset but recalibrating your thinking and way of eating going forward.  

Hi Kirkor...I just searched the internet to find advice from other people who had done whole30 and found they didn't lose weight....definitely not a whole30 website source,  as I completely understand why calorie counting is not allowed on the program!

Archived