Weird hours, help me plan!

Chuber0923

Hello all. I am in the midst of "pre-whole 30". Day 6. I'm reading the book and they tell you to eat right when I get it up, which poses a problem. I usually get up at 8. I eat at 10 or 10:30. I work from 12-8, so eating lunch and dinner AT work isn't a real possibility. I usually eat lunch at 3, then dinner after 8 when I get home. 

The issue is, if I eat right at 8 when I get up, I'd have to eat lunch AND dinner at work to avoid starving before either lunch or dinner. 

So, any advice? I don't get lunch or dinner breaks at work, I usually have to run into the warehouse and wolf something down sobtje idea of having the do that twice let alone once isn't plausible. 

Thanks! 

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/26299-work-out-in-the-mornings-but-not-hungry-in-the-mornings/

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/34745-early-morning-breakfast-help/

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/36656-timing-of-meal-3-vs-getting-enough-sleep/

I know exactly how'd I handle this.  Breakfast would be my biggest meal of the day and I would eat it within one hour of waking.  That's the overall goal of Whole 30 and for hormone healing. 

It will take practice and a few days of adjustment.  The overall goal of Whole 30 is to establish 4-5 hours inbetween meals. So given your work habits, I would eat my lunch before I left for work.  Even if it was a Grab-N-Go lunch....many threads about that.

Then I would eat my supper in the afternoon and not at 8 pm.  This way, by the early morning hours of 7 or  8 am , you will be hungry for breakfast. 

Here's my question.  If you go to work at 12, why is your lunch break at 3 pm?  Is that just a coffee break of about 15 minutes.  Do you get an actual break in the afternoon?

Making these changes will turn everything upside down on its head but hormone healing is so worth it.  I used to eat like you're eating.  Skip breakfast, drink coffee and cream.  Eat some kind of lunch on the fly and eat my supper in the evening before I went to bed. 

Eventually, it didn't work. Take the bull by the horns and really make the effort, sooner rather than later.  Wish someone had told a long time ago.  I'd be so much further ahead.

7 minutes ago, Chuber0923 said:

That's a good idea! No, I don't get breaks at all. I leave for work at 11:30, work 12-8 straight through, then get home around 8:30. I work front desk at a doggy daycare/pet store and that's just when I get hungry/ is the slow hour. 

Alrighty then.  See Mod Shannon's thread about breakfast ideas and there are so many other threads about GrabNGo meals.  Just google Whole 30 Grab and Go, that will get you right in the pocket.

There's always a wide mouth thermos filled with a great soup or dish you've made for that afternoon meal.  I'm telling you,  you can turn your life and energy levels around - rebuild your metabolism by turning everything upside down on its head.  Ooooo, we haven't got the time.  I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the doggie day care and watch your changes, day by day.  You've got nothing to lose and positive changes to gain. Daily.

Oooo, before I go, Chuber...it's only 30 days but these changes within a few weeks, your hair, and skin and face....everything looks different, you won't even recognize yourself within a few weeks.  You'll ask yourself, why O why didn't anyone tell me this before. Then you'll pass it on and help someone else.  It's all good and fun.  Really. 

do you have any employment laws?  If you work over 6 hours, you're legally entitled to a half hour break.  if it's quiet, get someone else to cover the front desk, and get the hell out of there, go for a walk, 5 minutes, sit for 20 minutes to eat a meal, 5 minutes walk back - feel refreshed and energized!

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Crastney said:

do you have any employment laws?  If you work over 6 hours, you're legally entitled to a half hour break.  if it's quiet, get someone else to cover the front desk, and get the hell out of there, go for a walk, 5 minutes, sit for 20 minutes to eat a meal, 5 minutes walk back - feel refreshed and energized!

I was just going to say that... There is no retail company that would be able to make a person work 8 hours straight without a break... 

OP, I know sometimes it seems we are indispensable at work and there's 'no way' we could take a break to eat but you need to figure out a way to advocate for yourself and your health... because regardless of when you eat your meals, working 8 hours without a break is neither healthy nor legal.

I know it's bad and totally illegal, but if I took a break I'd have to punch out. And if I punched out I'd be losing 2.5 hours a week when I can barely get by with my 2.5 hours of overtime a week. I made a to-go meal to eat on the way, so all I have to do is eat dinner during my shift. I also plan on waking up earlier so I don't have to shove a lunch into my drive. Thanks for all your awesome replies! 

Small, privately owned businesses don't always abide by labor laws. If you make a big stink, there's always the door.  Then there's being out of a job and up a creek without a reference and it just adds up to eating on the fly. I get it.

It happens to nurses in our hospital or emergency room. No lunch, no dinner, no breaks...eating on the fly. Especially during pesky tourist season. 

Exactly. And this job is the most important reference for me since I manage as well. And I'm moving in 2 months so it's only two more months but I need to make money to save up. I'll be ok, just need to figure out how to work around it with the Whole30. Which I think I got now thanks to you friends!

Archived