Day 4 - Is nausea accompanying the headache normal? What to do?

Helen G.

I started Monday, April 17, after "Last Suppers" and "Last bag of chips." Until today, I felt fine, nourished. Today, I have had a round of vomiting, loose poo's and a frontal lobe headache. I can't do my work! How do I break out of this? When the nausea stops, what do I eat?

I'm in my 60s, so not pregnant. 

One other note: I was a mostly-vegetarian, so I'm facing not used to so much meat. I've had pork and chicken in addition to eggs.

Help! 

Helen G. 

• Administrators

Some upset stomach can be expected if the foods you're eating are a great departure from your norm. However excessive nausea and vomitting are not. Chances are you've come down with a bug.......which isn't uncommon in the first few days of Whole30 as your body puts its resources towards rebalancing and this can leave the immune system open to bugs. There's a nasty stomach bug going around in my area right now.

Sorry you are feeling unwell.  Headaches, loose poo, and overall just a feeling crumminess is not unusual, actually vomiting is not something that normally happens.  It could be possible that you did catch a flu / bug.

Somethings that have helped me with the feeling of nausea (I'm a migraine sufferer - so all too familiar with nausea/vomiting): peppermint or ginger tea - generally very soothing.  If you can get some bone broth made and consume it - that will help too.  Kombucha - especially ginger Kombucha (brand I recommend is GT's.  many other brands contain sugar, stevia, or some other sort of sweetener) I find it helps settle the stomach.

Things to eat - eggs are pretty easy to digest and sweet potato I find is pretty good too.  Just eat what you can, when you can to work your way through this.

I read recently that salmon (and foods high in Omega 3's) in the beginning of doing a whole 30 type elimination protocol will help with you feeling better. 

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm feeling better now, an hour later. Will attempt a poached egg a bit later. It's odd to eat a poached egg without any toast or English muffin. I also have not been able to get great sleep this week (I know -- and it complicates things), so perhaps I'm overly tired at the same time I'm changing what I eat. We learn from our mistakes.

Carlaccini, I don't have migraines, but I have had syncope spells, and this (headache, loose poo, vomit, relief) is often what happens with that. No syncope today, I remained conscious. I will try your food/beverage suggestions. Ladyshanny, I don't think I have a bug, but you're right to suggest paying attention to my immune system. 

Sure hope the Tiger Blood happens for me like has happened to you. I need some Tiger Blood!

Helen G. 

• 2 months later...

Yesterday was day 5 for me and I was super hungry all day I made a poor lunch and it wasn't appealing once it came time to it... since yesterday at about noon I have had this sour belly feeling along with nausea and head ache. I actually ended up vomiting this morning. The nausea is gone, headache is dull but I can still feel by belly have this weird feeling.  I keep having these burps that taste like multi vitamin which I don't take. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, akroberts687 said:

Yesterday was day 5 for me and I was super hungry all day I made a poor lunch and it wasn't appealing once it came time to it... since yesterday at about noon I have had this sour belly feeling along with nausea and head ache. I actually ended up vomiting this morning. The nausea is gone, headache is dull but I can still feel by belly have this weird feeling.  I keep having these burps that taste like multi vitamin which I don't take. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like you picked up a bit of a bug... vomitting is not a normal symptom of Whole30 altho it can be a side effect of having a really terrible headache/migraine.  Have you eaten since yesterday's lunch or did you also not even eat that?

I barley ate my lunch yesterday. I had stir fry for dinner last night (very little because my nausea). Today I still had that feeling and I tried to eat bfast which was a bowl of assorted melon, and I just had to run to the bathroom to vomit because the nausea got me so bad. I felt some relief after for a little while then that tummy feeling happen but not really nausea. I never felt this feeling before. Maybe gas? Not eating enough? Maybe my monthly friend is contributing to it as well??  I dont know! ... I am going to try to have a hearty dinner tonight, see if I feel better. I feel like garbage today.. sleepy and funny belly.

• Moderators

Okay well if you CAN keep food down, do so... protein, fat and carbs... don't crack out on fruit becasuse that's not going to help you in the long run (not saying you did, but just a caution).  Try some ginger or peppermint tea (iced peppermint tea would be lovely!)  It honestly sounds like you just came down with something and then if you have your period on top of it, that's a nasty dose of 'don't feel good'.  I hope you feel better!

P.s.  Don't forget to drink water... 1/2oz per pound of body weight... being dehydrated is not going to help.

thank you for the insight and the reminder about the fruit (it was needed) .. I had some mint tea not to long ago and I am feeling  a little better.  I will definitely be uping my water game as well. I ate ALOT of drive thru food before starting this probably every day for a couple months. I expected to feel like grog but was thrown off by the nausea and vomit..

Thanks again for all your help!

I started about three weeks ago but had to get off when hubby became seriously ill and was hospitalized. The first two weeks I was true to program and after the first week I had horrible headaches and nausea but it was gone by end of week two. Just started again yesterday and I feel fine so far! Good luck!

Archived