Freakin Carrageenan SMH

MrsWinstonSchmidt

sigh. I don't even effin LIKE turkey. In fact, I wanted the pre-made salmon salad to put on top of my greens but the organic mayo it was made with had CANOLA in it. I thought I was being intentional. I was proud of myself for not compromising on the canola even though it's "ok occasionally" when dining out. I told myself, you're in a grocery store, you have other options. Welp--I bought some Applegate deli meat. I saw the carrageenan description but it was followed by "seaweed" so I figured "plants. it's fine." SMH I should have pulled out google for the ELEVENTH time during that grocery trip. I didn't know any better, until I read on another whole30 blog today that carrageenan was a no no. 

fuuuugggmyliiiife!

If I'm gonna go off plan I'm gonna willfully nose dive into some prosecco, not accidentally eat some lame azz turkey slices!

By day's end the package was gone. It was less than half a pound.

What say ye, O Whole30 community? Am I sentenced to a re-start??

• Moderators

Aw crap!  Ya, um... I'm probably not the person that you want to answer this, but I'd restart.  I have anecdotal experience that says that carrageenan is EXTREMELY disruptive to the human body (talking hot burning rashes)... it's franken'food'... they put carrageenan in pet food, fire fighting foam and personal lubricant... that disgusts me that I'd be eating something that is also used for those things... 

• Moderators

Yep, that's a totally acceptable way of getting around 'starting over'.  Happy Whole37! :)

There are two things that I will never ever let pass my lips again. One is any type of soy product.  The other is carrageenan.  You'll find plenty of 'pro' carrageenan websites which are owned by manufacturers and heavy users of carrageenan and they will tell you that it's 'just' seaweed and it's not problematic... well there are a lot of things that come from plants that I wouldn't eat... like Ricin for instance... 'just' the seed of the castor oil plant... purified, a dose of a few flakes no bigger than table salt will kill you... 

Thank u for the support, SugarCube. I did a quick search on carrageenan before I left work and nope nope nope. Don't want it in my body. I will be way more vigilant. I like the W30 advice of eating things that DON'T have ingredients. The purer the better. All this unnecessary crap in our foods. No wonder we're all sick and have to work out so much. 

I don't mind extending. I'm doing this to make changes, not excuses. Some people report that the change they were looking for didn't even materialize until the last week of w30. Therefore, i have to do those extra 7 days or I'm just selling the process short. Just frustrating that it was a stupid error but I can move past that. 

Archived