First Time Doing Whole 30-starting April 24th!

Bailey7

I am starting my first Whole 30 experience this Monday April 24th and I am a mix of emotions!  I am nervous because of all of the times I have failed at losing weight, but I am excited for this program because of it changing my relationship with food.  Ever since the 6th grade I have been battling my weight and I am defeated after every time of losing any sort of weight.  I was overwhelmingly sad after taking all of my measurements and weighing myself before starting and I am looking forward to this huge change in my life!  After writing my goals for this program, I am feeling optimistic and cannot wait to get started!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi you two! I'm starting my 4th (3rd proper as last one rather disintegrated) whole 30 tomorrow so delighted to find you! I would not have survived the previous rounds without the forum. It's good to put a stake in the ground and publicly commit to it and to supporting each other. 

I feel so so much better - once over the initial shock- eating this way tho I miss milk and chocolate, tho the sugar craving soon passes. Have been feeling rather out of control with my eating and I know this will get me back on track. Worried I won't complete it so please feel free to hound me! 

Good luck 

Good luck, Bailey! You got this!

Can relate to the hard experience with measuring. It was a startling experience for me too. Power on... this could change your life.

Am starting today as well so if you need any help / support, we are all here for you.   (I know I am counting on the forum!)

Dom

I am starting today too! This will be my second Whole 30. I actually ended my first one a little over a month ago. I did a lot of research online but hadn't had a chance to read It Starts with Food. Now that I have read it, I'd like to give it another go.

I actually found Whole 30 to not be near as difficult as I thought. Will you miss certain foods? Of course! It does get a lot easier though the further you get into the program. I discovered that I didn't miss certain foods near as much as I thought I would. The only thing I really struggle with is not having Coke Zero. Its a struggle but I was able to do it last time and can do it again this time.

So glad to be taking this journey with you all. We can do it!

Today is also my start date! This will be my first time through in spite of having flirted with the program for quite some time. I hope we can all support each other through the next 30 days. My birthday is May 23rd, so I thought beginning the reset now will help get my next year started on a more healthy foot. Not to mention, all my friends will have to have something besides cake when we celebrate :)

Hi Everyone! I did a "soft start" last Sunday after feeling yukky post Easter over-indulgence!  But I knew I would have wine the 21-22 at a pre-planned function. I stuck to the food compliance, had some wine, and then yesterday (Apr 23rd) I count as my Day 1.  I travel for work so this is going to be difficult, but I think I'll prevail. Hopefully there are Whole Food markets nearby so I can create my own dinners/salads instead of relying on restaurants to follow my requests (I do not trust LOL!). My amazing significant other is doing this with me for support. <3  So here's to a new US!!!! Stay strong everybody! :)

I was so glad to see your post.   I'm starting for the first time today also.   It's so wonderful to join you all in this journey.  I've read some encouraging support from community members which eased my mind and made me want to join the forums.  

I started Monday too!  I have a 6mo and don't really know how to cook so I'm on a serious learning curve.  I'm also breastfeeding so that adds a layer.  I'm excited and terrified!  I had too many eggs today.  Tomorrow's another day!  Eek!  When I say I don't cook I mean I really don't cook.  Long story.  But in the past 36 hours I made salmon, brocolli, sweet potatoes... Huge for me.  So glad to be on this journey with all of you!  I know we can do it. 

Congratulations on your baby!  You might consider crockpot cooking.  Put everything in one pot and your hands free to take care if baby.   Low and slow is an easy way to get started.   Best of luck to you.  

Ye

3 hours ago, TamB said:

Congratulations on your baby!  You might consider crockpot cooking.  Put everything in one pot and your hands free to take care if baby.   Low and slow is an easy way to get started.   Best of luck to you.  

Yep crock pot is fab - kitchen alchemy. Any meat, tinned toms, garlic and some chopped veg and job done. About to make a vast pot of bolognese minced beef to keep in fridge for easy home lunches (and breakfasts. Yep I know but works for me!). 

Day 2 starting with a bulletproof style coffee (as very early patient to treat) 

slept like a log last night - deeply and woke refreshed for first time in ages. Just in my head or lack of sugary rubbish I wonder? 

Hows it going all? Probably feels like lots of brain ache at the moment newbies, but it really does get much much easier quite quickly. Honest! 

Have a good day all

Hey everyone.

Day 1 was fairly smooth. The trick for me is going to be having food prepared for lunch and snacks.  Did crave some cupcakes around 10pm but it passed.

@Jane Maddy - I second the cockpot suggestion. They are amazing tools.

Hi everyone!

Sounds like day 1 went pretty well for everyone. Due to both time and money constraints, I typically eat the same thing for an entire week. I am not much of a fan of eggs so don't eat a traditional breakfast. I go by the meal 1, 2, and 3 idea. For meal 1, I am having a jalapeno turkey burger patty with avocado, tomato and spinach with a side of roasted zucchini. For meal 2, I am having a fajita chicken salad. For meal 3, I am having spaghetti squash with homemade marinara, chicken Italian sausage, and asparagus. I really enjoyed them all!

For those that aren't great cooks, I agree that the crockpot is your friend! There are tons of Whole30 crockpot recipes out there. I made a few during my first Whole30. Even if you are a great cook, the crockpot can still be a tremendous help over the next 30+ days. 

Good luck to all on day 2! 

8 hours ago, JaneMaddy said:

I'm also breastfeeding

Make sure you're eating enough to feed that baby as well as yourself - x4 template meals or x3 and a decent snack or two... And you might want to sip on some coconut milk throughout the day and be sure to include plenty of starchy veg to keep up energy levels & milk supply.

And water - lots & lots of water!

My husband and I started yesterday! Day 1 is in the books and of course it was easy.  I did crave an afternoon Coke although that craving is probably just more of a habit.  I stayed full and didn't need any snacks.  I'm used to counting calories when I want to lose weight and having snacks to keep me full, so this is a change. My mind keeps saying 'you're not going to lose any weight" but I'm keeping the faith in the Whole30 authors that I probably will lose weight or change my body composition (which would actually be better!).

I'm keeping meals easy this week -- just trying to tweak what we normally eat into Whole30 compliance.  I plan to try some new things each week especially so I can have some lunch variety.  Bringing salads and a protein to work each day will get boring, but I don't really care for reheated sauteed/steamed/roasted veggies. Any suggestions?

Hi, I started the program on April 21. I dabbled for 10 days prior to that. I was eating compliant food, but since I was away visiting family I had some wine during that time. When I arrived home, I got serious. I usually eat healthy whole foods, but I'm a carb freak - not so much bread, but lots of rice and beans, and I had been getting into too much stevia and honey,and of course the alcohol, which is the hardest abstention for me right now. So far I've been 100 percent compliant since April 21. (As I understand the program.  I'm looking for a buddy - anyone out there?

Hello! I also started on April 24th. I've done 3 Whole 30's (2 completed, one ended at day 27; Nov 2015, Jan 2016, Jan 2017) so this is my 4th start.

I'm gunning for a Whole 120, to wrap up on August 21st. Eek! My day 1 went great for food. Felt like I kind of got my food hangover in the afternoon of day 1 (weird), and woke up fine today... Hopefully that`s not a build-up for a really bad morning on Day 3!

If anyone else feels the motivation to keep going at the end of their 30 days, keep in touch!

2 hours ago, brittanyxo said:

I'm gunning for a Whole 120, to wrap up on August 21st.

Oh wow! Kudos to you! I am on my second Whole 30. When I got to day 30, I honestly wouldn't have had a problem continuing. At day 10, you can't wait for day 30 but by about day 20, you realize you couldn't totally handle longer. I am not sure I could go 120 days though. That is pretty awesome. I wish you the best of luck! Especially considering this isn't your first Whole30, I am confident you can do it. 

Archived