making homemade mayonnaise in a jar HELP!

HelenLA

I read a post at some point where someone was talking about how easy it is to make homemade mayonnaise in a jar. I have made my own mayonnaise many times but I'm always looking for shortcuts. This person said they just put all of the ingredients into the jar together and use a stick blender and they are done in about two minutes. If anyone has done this my questions are what size jar do you use for one recipe of mayonnaise? I'm not sure if I have one that's big enough but don't want to go out and try to find another jar to use if I don't have to. Also would you add the lemon juice at the beginning or at the end after the mayonnaise is made? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

31 minutes ago, HelenLA said:

I read a post at some point where someone was talking about how easy it is to make homemade mayonnaise in a jar. I have made my own mayonnaise many times but I'm always looking for shortcuts. This person said they just put all of the ingredients into the jar together and use a stick blender and they are done in about two minutes. If anyone has done this my questions are what size jar do you use for one recipe of mayonnaise? I'm not sure if I have one that's big enough but don't want to go out and try to find another jar to use if I don't have to. Also would you add the lemon juice at the beginning or at the end after the mayonnaise is made? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I use my empty peanut butter jars. They have a wide mouth and I'm guessing they are a pint as a cup of oil and an egg yolk make mayonnaise that fills the jar about half way. The important thing is that your stick blender fit into the jar (!) and that its not too wide. From the Seriou Eats Foolproof Mayonnaise article and video:

Some people have reported that the mayonnaise never comes together when blending. The number one problem I've discovered is using the wrong jar. It is imperative that the jar be just slightly larger than the head of the immersion blender, as the egg/lemon mixture must be in contact with the blades of the blender before you switch it on for this to work. The head of the blender must be firmly planted against the bottom of the jar until the mayonnaise starts to come together. If you can't find a jar the right size, the other option is to double the recipe in order to increase the starting volume of the egg/lemon mixture.

I find wide mouth pint jars are perfect for a single batch of Mayo.

1 Cup Oil

1 Egg

dash salt

tsp mustard

tsp lemon juice

Honestly, I eyeball everything and put in the jar in no particular order eggs/lemon/mustard right from the fridge - - It always turns out perfect.

I made some yesterday - I reuse the jar that my olives came in, and double the standard mayonnaise recipe.  so 2 eggs, 1tsp salt, 1 tsp mustard, about 500ml oil (this time I forgot the lemon juice, but it was not terrible, just slightly different flavour) - put all into the jar, if the blender fits in, otherwise I used the jug that the blender comes with, which is just wider than the blade end.  dump all ingredients in, put blender to bottom, blend, till it starts to emulsify, then lift slowly.  I think it took me less than 2 minutes total.  don't worry about making too much, you'll love it so much, and have it with everything, it'll soon be gone way before it goes off.

thanks for all of your replies! I used the stick blender in a wide mouth glass jar this weekend and it turned out perfectly in 30 seconds. I kept it going for about fifteen more seconds just to make sure I had all the oil from the top mixed in. I'm going to try to attach a picture so you can see my success.IMG_20170430_121153.thumb.jpg.d1c5f6cfa90621e85c76b84b8b5a35bf.jpg

IMG_20170430_121211.jpg

Archived