April 26 Start Date - looking to start a group?

wholenatty

Hi! I am starting the Whole30 this Wednesday, 26 April 2017. This is my "second" attempt - my first was a slight disaster as I had a couple of friends who also said they would do it - but decided to change the rules to suit them (still enjoyed the occasional diet coke, glass of bubbles, went and had a stir fry at the local Thai restaurant) which was hard for me who was doing it by the rules... so I fell... but I want to give it a red hot go again.

I am based in Sydney, Australia - and I know timing of start might sound odd. I was going to do May 1 - given it was a Monday - but thought why not Wednesday? It is ANZAC day on Tuesday 25 April, and we already had plans... so I thought why not wake up the next day and GO.

So I am... if anyone who is looking to do properly, and I mean properly, then let me know!

Nat

So day 1 - nearly down. A bit frustrating as I had a bit of a last hoorah yesterday/last night and woke up feeling terrible but oh so excited about feeling good again. I have been so puffy and my clothes just don't fit as well and I hate going out thinking that people are noticing. I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin... and I know that the next 30 days will help me get back to my usual self. And when you think about it - 1 day out of 30... already done. And I am glad I started today... and not Monday. It would have been the Monday/1/May start which is neat but I would have had another weekend of indulgence and nights out and regrets the next morning. Here is to waking up feeling good... sleeping soundly and working a LOT more efficiently and effectively.

I have read the first 25 pages of the book and I want to start this morning.  Does anyone know if there is a limit on what you can have for breakfast?  Ex:  two pieces of bacon vs one OR a fruit smoothie in addition to my egg/bacon/avocado breakfast??  Thanks!

There is no strict rule as such but more guidelines and recommendations. Have you seen the picture of what your plate might look like? In terms of how much protein, how much veg and how much fruit etc? I also try to stick to the 3 meals only (no snacks) so I found I needed to actually increase the size of my breakfast to get me through to lunch without a banana or yoghurt at morning tea which I'd usually have. I'd probably start with a couple of pieces of bacon and your egg and avocado (sounds delicious) and maybe then just a small piece of fruit... and if that's not enough have a smoothie the next day?

24 minutes ago, 2luv2farm said:

fruit smoothie

Smoothies are very much discouraged (see below for the official stance on them). They tend to be fruit heavy (often containing more fruit than you'd actually eat in one sitting), and are processed by the body much faster than if you'd eaten the fruit which can skew satiety signals. Fruit should also never push the veg off of your plate. If you want fruit (& many people choose to limit it to help fight the sugar dragon) we'd much rather you eat it whole.

Bacon is a fat for Whole30 purposes, so if you're having eggs as your only protein source you'd want as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand without breaking - 3 is generally a good starting point - then you'd add your fat & veg alongside.

The meal template is a guideline and if you're finding yourself hungry, or particularly active, then it's perfectly okay to eat more.

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Hope this helps! :)

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, wholenatty said:

Hi! I am starting the Whole30 this Wednesday, 26 April 2017. This is my "second" attempt - my first was a slight disaster as I had a couple of friends who also said they would do it - but decided to change the rules to suit them (still enjoyed the occasional diet coke, glass of bubbles, went and had a stir fry at the local Thai restaurant) which was hard for me who was doing it by the rules... so I fell... but I want to give it a red hot go again.

I am based in Sydney, Australia - and I know timing of start might sound odd. I was going to do May 1 - given it was a Monday - but thought why not Wednesday? It is ANZAC day on Tuesday 25 April, and we already had plans... so I thought why not wake up the next day and GO.

So I am... if anyone who is looking to do properly, and I mean properly, then let me know!

Nat

Hey Nat, I started Tuesday April 25. 2 days in.

Awesome people! Not sure whether to keep this thread going or start fresh but happy to roll with this one. I am only day 2 and as with my attempt at round 1 which I won't classify as a completed round, I was very positive at the end of the day. I absolutely slept like a baby last night. One thing I did attempt in round one was to drop all caffeine as well, which I know isn't a rule - but was trying to not rely on it as much so thought why not get rid of that too - this time, and this morning only, I tried to have long black. I didn't enjoy it all that much so will stick to the herbal teas which I am enjoying, particularly peppermint.

I am definitely a bit more hungry today already - looking at the clock thinking come on 1pm! It's when I try and wait to have lunch... otherwise I get too hungry before dinner and snack.

Last time I tried, I was also better with the exercise and I am used to exercising 5 times per week, but between work being crazy, a recent move/relocation and 2 crazy kids who are now further away from school and daycare, it is hard to fit in. But I do recall it being hard to lift my legs last time so perhaps not a bad thing. Would still like to try and manage something today but will wait and see.

Anyway - always looking for inspiration for food and meals that are easy to prep in advance. I need to get most of my breakfasts cooked and lunches cooked on a Sunday and the slow cooker and oven get a work out during the week for whole/big pieces of meat and chicken etc with steamed veg or salad. Tonight is slow cooked lamb shoulder with a heap of root veg like swede, carrot, parsnip, celery, onion, garlic and some crushed tomatoes and rosemarry salt and pepper. Fingers crossed it turns out ok because I think it will be breakfast tomorrow! That's one thing I love about this whole30 - is that it doesn't matter was time of day, it changed my perception of what I should have for breakfast and what I need to have for breakfast. No toast or cereals, doesn't need to be sweet... some lovely quality meat and veg is a fine way to start the day!

And warning - there will be days where I want to throw it in and convince myself I don't need to do this, that I can do it anytime... just not now - so feel free to stop me!

Day # 2 nearly complete - didn't end up getting any exercise in... not as motivated as I was yesterday. But still positive that it's 2 days... better than none.

Bit of a headache I have been trying to battle... already feeling a little less bloated. One immediate sign for me is my rings on my engagement/wedding finger start spinning again. It is getting colder here but still, some change.

My slow cooked lamb was delicious - popped some of the parsnip and onion I had in the slow cooker with my eggs for breakfast tomorrow... also a big salad and tuna for lunch.

Nat xx

I cheated and weighed myself because my clothes are already falling off!!   I know this a HUGE no-no, but I'm not as concerned about the weight loss part of it as I am learning to eat correctly.  We live on a farm so I am very active throughout the day, which makes it hard for calories to stick around (lol).  Yesterday, I felt awful for the most part.  Dragging butt, headache from heck, and ill as a hornet. Also, I have been sick and the only thing that helped my throat was Ricola sugar-free cough drops AND I later found out that they are OFF LIMITS!  Thought about starting over, but instead....I'll just tack on a couple of days. ;-)  Eating a huge salad with leftover salmon now and feeling energized and ready to tackle the world!!  :D

• Moderators
On April 29, 2017 at 9:59 AM, 2luv2farm said:

I cheated and weighed myself because my clothes are already falling off!!   I know this a HUGE no-no, but I'm not as concerned about the weight loss part of it as I am learning to eat correctly.  We live on a farm so I am very active throughout the day, which makes it hard for calories to stick around (lol).  Yesterday, I felt awful for the most part.  Dragging butt, headache from heck, and ill as a hornet. Also, I have been sick and the only thing that helped my throat was Ricola sugar-free cough drops AND I later found out that they are OFF LIMITS!  Thought about starting over, but instead....I'll just tack on a couple of days. ;-)  Eating a huge salad with leftover salmon now and feeling energized and ready to tackle the world!!  :D

Be sure you're eating enough -- the meal template describes the minimum a person needs, if you're very active, you probably need to eat at the upper range of the template, and you may even need to add an extra meal or mini-meal as well. Also, due to years of being told we should have everything fat free or low fat, many people are hesitant to add extra fat, but if you're having it in the context of a meal with protein and lots of vegetables, you're unlikely to eat too much fat, plus it's the easiest way to up calories in a meal. Also, don't be afraid to have starchy vegetables, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables or winter squashes or plantains. Check out this post for some more tips to be sure you don't lose too much weight too quickly. 

• Moderators
On April 29, 2017 at 9:59 AM, 2luv2farm said:

Hey there

You may not be concerned with weight loss but we ask that you do not post scale results on the main boards during a whole 30. Not weighing is a rule and while it may not be the most important one to you, it's just as important as all the others. I've edited your post to remove the results. 

Archived