May 1 Start - Support

Dawn Williams

My last Diet Coke was June 9, 2014, before I started my first Whole 30.  Once I have one, I'm right back at it, so I gave it up for good. Do you think I have some problems with it, LOL?

I signed up for Real Plans today. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

For the new folks, I also recommend the Daily Whole30 emails - they are very encouraging!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting my second round of W30 today.  My first round was in March and was successful....until the re-intro.  My goal is to have a better re-intro period this time around.  It's all about choices...

Hello Whole30 Friends,

I did a Whole30 last year and it was wonderful!  Since then, my eating has gotten so disordered and out of control, I need to do this again to wrestle the reigns of my health back into my own hands.  

Breakfast was two eggs, a chicken sausage and an orange.  I have a Pork Loin thawed for dinner, I just need to decide how to cook it.  I haven't done as much Pre-Planning as I should in preparation for this round, that's my job for today, planning out the next week's worth of meals.

The last time I did Whole30 I didn't pay attention to my exercise at all.  This go around I've found a fun series of videos on FitnessBlender.com that I'm going to do for the month.  Hopefully that, in combination with healthy eating will help me feel better.  I've been seriously struggling with low energy, low motivation, general poor mood.  Hopefully this will kickstart some better habits and get me into a better frame of mind.

LET'S GO!!

On 4/30/2017 at 4:03 AM, zealy said:

I am in agony today from my IBS, which makes me even more determined. Really glad I'm starting tomorrow. I'm going out for dinner tonight, so I guess it's like my last indulgence :P 

I picked up two Nakd bars in Holland and Barrett (buy one get one for 1 cent...) for emergencies. For health reasons, I occasionally (it's been months so may not happen at all during my W30) need to get food into me ASAP, and I want to have something compliant on hand, as in the past I've had to run into a store and pick the first thing I see. 

I don't have any prep done as I've been travelling... I'm not concerned though, the store is only 10 minutes walk  away and I'm off work until Friday. I did buy a compliant salad dressing in a local organic cafe (they make it themselves), so I'll keep that in work. The salad bar just got so much easier! 

Good luck with your Whole30! 

Watch out for those Nakd bars! Some of them are not compliant. If you need food on the go, many of us just carry a compliant meal in a bag or stock our bag/car/workplace with compliant food that keeps well. If you are hungry between meals, have a mini meal of protein and veggies and /or fat, not a "candy bar" of dried fruit and nuts. And if you follow the meal template for your meals, you'll find you can easily go 4-5 hours between meals as you become fat-adapted and your hormones balance. 

Starting today! My weight keeps creeping up over the past 2 years and I have a lot of inflammation. Finally realized the bodybuilder protocol I was taught to get lean isn't sustainable OR healthy (lots of powders, not real food, low on fruits and veggies). Excited but a little intimidated. My fridge looks crazy with all those healthy veggies.

IMG_7273.JPG

18 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Good luck with your Whole30! 

Watch out for those Nakd bars! Some of them are not compliant. If you need food on the go, many of us just carry a compliant meal in a bag or stock our bag/car/workplace with compliant food that keeps well. If you are hungry between meals, have a mini meal of protein and veggies and /or fat, not a "candy bar" of dried fruit and nuts. And if you follow the meal template for your meals, you'll find you can easily go 4-5 hours between meals as you become fat-adapted and your hormones balance. 

Thanks! I've only got the compliant ones and they are truly for emergencies. :)

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, EJSmadhatter said:

Hi everyone. This looks like a great group.  I am starting on the 1st too and am going to join you. I have not been able to slay the Sugar Dragon. It has caused a lot of problems in my life. Increased my allergies, I now have eczema worse than I ever have before, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stomach aches and nausea because I'm eating food that makes me sick, and heavier than I have ever been in my life. And now it appears that I have sleep apnea which of course being as heavy as I am does not help. It is time to get on track and stop messing around. I have done one successful Whole 30. I have also had many false starts. This time I am going to make it through. I have a lot of food allergies, which include garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, & citrus. I am signing up for the daily's because it really helps keep me on track when I see that in my email every morning. My goals this time we're going to simple:

1. No eating breakfast out; NO fast food restaurants. 
  2. Get my food prepped the night before and getting in the weekly preps 
  3. Clean the kitchen after every food prep/meal. 
  4. And get some type of exercise and or stretching done every day very excited to be on this journey with you all. 

*waving hi*  Hi, I remember you from last year!  I'm trying my second W30 as well.  I felt amazing on the last one -- energy through the roof, aches and pains went away, lost 12 pounds...  then I switched jobs and started stress eating.  Darnit!  But I'm psyched to be back on the wagon and looking forward to feeling good again.  If anyone finds helpful hints for staying compliant while traveling, send 'em my way...  I travel a lot for work now, and don't want that to get in my way!

Kick butt, everyone!  We can do this!  :)

Great start today for day 1. Feeling good and motivated, which doesn't come naturally for me! ;) Spinach omlet with avacado and fruit. Yum! Lunch will be almond butter zoodles with broccoli and bell peppers. Its one of my favorite vegetarian meals! Dinner is going to be a rotisserie chicken, roasted red potatoes and a nice veggie salad with homemade dressing. How's everyone else doing and feeling today?

IMG_20170501_110645_218.jpg

16 minutes ago, MidModJenn said:

*waving hi*  Hi, I remember you from last year!  I'm trying my second W30 as well.  I felt amazing on the last one -- energy through the roof, aches and pains went away, lost 12 pounds...  then I switched jobs and started stress eating.  Darnit!  But I'm psyched to be back on the wagon and looking forward to feeling good again.  If anyone finds helpful hints for staying compliant while traveling, send 'em my way...  I travel a lot for work now, and don't want that to get in my way!

Kick butt, everyone!  We can do this!  :)

I was just thinking about you and the others the other day. So glad you are back

12 minutes ago, sweetz149 said:

Great start today for day 1. Feeling good and motivated, which doesn't come naturally for me! ;) Spinach omlet with avacado and fruit. Yum! Lunch will be almond butter zoodles with broccoli and bell peppers. Its one of my favorite vegetarian meals! Dinner is going to be a rotisserie chicken, roasted red potatoes and a nice veggie salad with homemade dressing. How's everyone else doing and feeling today?

IMG_20170501_110645_218.jpg

That looks so good

Hi, my name is Beth. I'm also re-starting Whole 30 today. It's been over a year since I did Whole 30 last time. I had great success with it and felt good and lost weight. Plus, my family benefitted from eating more fruits and veggies and from eating at home! So, here we go with round two!!! My goal is to lose 20 pounds.

It's 7pm here and I've just had dinner so I guess I've reached the end of my first day! I've drank a litre of water so far today, and just filled it up again. I'm feeling good, usually I'd be reaching for Diet Coke all day! But I've just had one mug of black tea, and water. I honestly expected to feel worse without my constant stream of caffeine! 

Welcome May Day Whole30ers! I started today also! This will be my third complete Whole30 and I am looking forward to learning about what my Food Freedom will look like!

I started out super happy this morning with hashbrown cups, eggs, and fruit and loved my lunch of cauliflower rice, ground chicken (carnitas-style) and avocado but, as usual, that Sugar Dragon started yapping right after lunch. Really hopeful I can get him to shut up in the next 30 days!

• Moderators
22 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Just be aware that I don't think there are any moderators that will be on that Facebook page. That is why I always stay on the forums. They catch out points and help you along. 

Correct, there are no official moderators or admins that manage facebook groups and we know from experience that it's the wild west out there... anyone is welcome to join whatever group they want but the help and 'supervision' for lack of a better word lives here on these forums.

Such a great group we have starting here! I love that there is a mix of new folks and more experienced Whole 30'ers!

I usually find Day 1 pretty easy - the adrenaline carries me through. Once I make it through a whole week, I'm pretty set. I have done several whole 30's, and here's my tip of the day: mindset is everything! I've completed a whole 30 and been miserable, because I was so focused on what I couldn't have. So focus on all the great healthy things you'll be eating and you'll be much happier!

Happy Day 1!

Hi... I am Denise and my whole family is starting Whole30 May 1st also.  My daughter and i have done a version (without the book) for the last 8 weeks but we are going by the book this time and taking my reluctant husband and 13 year old son along for the ride.  My daughter (Lexi) and I are feeling good but my husband is really struggling.  He wants a pizza and a piece of pie.  

I am excited to see how good my family will feel after 30 days if we don't kill each other on day 2. LOL

Glad to be supporting you all and seeing how good we can all feel and look,

Denise 

Congratulations everyone On making it through the first day!

I agree with the previous post that says planning is everything. We like to go out to dinner, which in many ways is the hardest thing for me because there are so many choices! I will look at the menu ahead of time online and decide exactly what I'm going to have. Then when I get there I don't even look at the menu!

I also agree having snacks on hand in an emergency is critical. I just keep a little bag of almonds in my purse.

I also agree that if you are following the template it's very unusual to get hungry between meals!

Today has been harder than I anticipated. I spent the last few days prepping - making a binder with recipes and tips, grocery shopping, reading up on the program, reorganizing my apartment, etc. I failed to prep any food though, so every time I've had to make food today, I was already hungry. So there has been a lot of hanger today, and I am already so tired. After reading the book I know that my body very heavily relies on sugar and caffeine for energy. I tried drinking coffee today, but I really hate it by itself or even just with coconut milk. I have a headache, but I've been wanting to cut caffeine for a while so maybe now is my opportunity. Even though making my food took way longer than I anticipated, it really was worth it, so I'm hoping the more I get used to cooking everything the quicker I'll get. Anyway, I hope everyone's first day has gone well. :)

Here I am ending my Day 1!!!! I am so surprised that I had the motivation to say no to dessert. Sweets and added sugar have been my worst enemy and I have not had the willpower to say no. Something (many things) have finally shifted and I feel the support of the group, and a new willingness to try different food choices. I am also doing no red meat or poultry so definitely looking for ideas on upping protein. I made some zucchini and carrot fritters tonight. I shocked myself by packing snacks with me while I was running errands (almonds, apple and homemade almond butter, banana, carrot sticks)! Wow. I am definitely getting some headaches and think my body will be detoxing for a few days as I was eating dessert with EVERY meal and then some! Looking forward to touching base here and reading your wisdom and sharing when I need a boost or hit a milestone. 

Day one is going well. Breakfast HB eggs, avocado and an apple, Lunch was Well Fed Asian Chicken Lettuce wraps (yum), Dinner is marinated flank steak from W30 book (pg 220) green beans and a small roasted red potato with some clarified butter (that I made myself thank you very much!). I also made a jambalaya on spaghetti squash that I found on Google for lunch tomorrow and a few other days. What was hard? No diet coke, no wine this evening. Lol, no big surprises there :)

Archived