can i have vegan cheese?

thochard

Follow your Heart makes a vegan provolone cheese. It is vegan, GF, dairy and soy free, and non-gmo cheese alternative.  The ingredient list is: filtered water, coconut oil, modified food starch, potato starch, sea salt, natural flavor (plant sources), olive extract, and beta carotene for color.

ingrediantlist.PNG

• Administrators

I guess.....you....could? It sounds dreadful though, like a bunch of starches glued together? It's really not in the spirit of Whole30 where we want you to eat real, unprocessed foods that are familiar and resemble something found in nature. Vegetables, animal proteins, good fats. Not vegan starch-cheese.

ladyshanny, I get that.  That is why I asked.  However, the starches are not the main ingredient and I don't think they use glue ;-).  It actually doesn't taste bad at all.  Resembles the flavor and texture of cheese.  I have a very difficult time eating eggs and am struggling with finding suitable ways to manage to get them down without choking,.  Breakfast is my most difficult meal and I am eating almost solely fruit.

• Administrators

Oh, you definitely do not have to like eggs nor do you have to find a way to force yourself to eat them. Eat whatever you would eat at any other meal. The thing is, this vegan cheese is highly processed and it is not a replacement for protein or vegetables in your meal. At most it would be a condiment. 

Not being able to feel comfortable eating breakfast is a pretty common thing and can be worked past. But............just eating fruits doesn't teach your body how to eat protein and veggies at breakfast. The best way to do that is to make a template meal (see link in my signature below or google "Whole30 meal template") and then eat as much as you can from each portion of the plate (eg, a couple bites each protein, fat and veggie). Wrap up what you can't finish and eat from it again as soon as you feel able. This is how you teach your body that food within an hour of waking is a good thing.

You can also google "Whole30 no egg breakfast" for a tonne of discussion about how people deal with breakfast with no eggs. There's also this fun thread: 

Archived