Looking for compliant deli turkey and bacon

Robin M.

Can anyone tell me where to find deli turkey/chicken and bacon that is Whole30 compliant?  I saw a recipe for deli turkey wrapped in lettuce that looked delicious for me to make for my husband's lunches but the deli turkey mentioned was Applegate Naturals Roasted turkey breast but that has carrageenan in it, which is not acceptable.  I thought I would go to the grocery deli and see if they have anything that is compliant but someone mentioned they don't go to delis because they don't know if something containing gluten was sliced on the shared slicer.  Should that be a concern?  Thank you!

• Moderators

Gluten on a shared slicer is not a problem... It's not like you're licking the slicer (definitely don't do that!).

It's pretty hard to find compliant deli meat altho compliant bacon is getting easier.  You may try googling 'whole30 compliant deli meat' or 'whole30 compliant bacon' and see where that gets you... 

I don't know where you live but I have found compliant bacon at Kroger and Walmart. they were even the store brands of bacon. Both of them were the low sodium bacon and when I read the ingredients they didn't have any sugar added. That's always the ingredient that causes problems with bacon. I have not looked for compliant turkey but Costco sounds like a good option.

I  found a  brand todaycalled Garrett Valley . They have both pork and turkey bacon. Package says right on the front Sugar Free an Paleo approved. I don't eat pork so I bought the turkey one. I found it in Luckys Market,which is similar to Whole Foods.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Pumpkinm said:

I  found a  brand todaycalled Garrett Valley . They have both pork and turkey bacon. Package says right on the front Sugar Free an Paleo approved. I don't eat pork so I bought the turkey one. I found it in Luckys Market,which is similar to Whole Foods.

Careful with 'sugar free' and 'paleo'.  In their eyes, honey or maple syrup might not be sugar and may be 'paleo' but for the purposes of Whole30, any kind of sugar is out.  Not saying this has sugar in it, I've never seen this product, but just a warning about that 'sugar free paleo' label.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:55 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Careful with 'sugar free' and 'paleo'.  In their eyes, honey or maple syrup might not be sugar and may be 'paleo' but for the purposes of Whole30, any kind of sugar is out.  Not saying this has sugar in it, I've never seen this product, but just a warning about that 'sugar free paleo' label.

I checked the ingredients before I bought it and it is compliant. I  was looking for compliant bacon and the labeling caught my eye, but I  always read the ingredients...comes from the many diet plans I've been on.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Pumpkinm said:

I checked the ingredients before I bought it and it is compliant. I  was looking for compliant bacon and the labeling caught my eye, but I  always read the ingredients...comes from the many diet plans I've been on.

Excellent!

• 2 months later...

I buy Garrett Valley also, and I agree it is compliant. Also Sprouts Homestyle Turkey without nitrites and nitrates is compliant -- in the deli section. You can tell from looking at it that it's not fake turkey.

• 1 year later...

Looking for some guidance on deli turkey. I read the most recent Whole30 update that Applegate Farms now has compliant products, and that they are listed on the website as such. It says the organic oven roasted turkey (which I bought) is compliant, and the website has the whole30 logo on the description. However, the ingredient list includes potato starch. Is this really accurate that it’s compliant? Seems like potato starch is sometimes ok, sometimes not. Attached photos of the description from the Applegate Farms site and the ingredient list from the package I got. Guidance appreciated! Thanks in advance.

09971621-A378-4FCE-A8F5-C053098AF1DC.jpeg

B0955A91-CC49-42B6-8096-2BA770F97250.jpeg

• Moderators

Potato starch is just a potato product and is fine in this type of product.  Where it would not be fine would be using it to make 'compliant' gnocchi or other pasta or any type of bread or baked product.  I imagine its in the deli meat for moisture control or possibly a stabilizer.

Archived