Hey everyone!  

I finished my second whole 30 yesterday.  I did my first round this past January and loved it!  I lost about 5lbs the first round and had tons of other NSV's.  I had the same NSV

s this past round and love how I feel while on whole 30.  However, this time I gained 1.8 lbs!  I ate pretty much the same things as the first time.  Lots of eggs, veggies, sweet potatoes, healthy oils, and protein.  I feel great and even thought I was starting to lean out the last week or so.  I weighed myself this morning and saw that I gained.  I was so disappointed.  I took my measurements before and after and they stayed exactly the same.  Any thoughts as to why this happened or advice?

First off this is not a diet, and whilst some folk lose weight as a result of changing up their diet, many do not.

Why you might have gained 1.8lbs could be down to many things - the time of the month, lack of sleep, sodium levels, inflammation for a food sensitivity.... All kinds of things. 1.8lbs is not a great deal of weight and your body will naturally fluctuate by more than a few pounds from day to day which is why it's foolish to be a slave to the scale.

Given your name are you power lifting?

I do compete in powerlifting.  I have a meet coming up in 3 weeks which is why I am so conscious of the scale.  I have to be in a certain weight class, otherwise I would not care what the scale says.  I am due to get my period this week which I understand that my weight could be up from that.  But that would mean that I didn't lose anything. (I know this is not about weight loss) But I was surprised that I didn't lose even a few pounds

10 minutes ago, Whole30 powerlifter said:

But I was surprised that I didn't lose even a few pounds

I've been eating this way for a long, long time and I don't think I've lost a single pound ever, in fact I've probably gained - although my body fat is certainly lower.

Perhaps your body is right where it wants to be - many people are of the opinion that they need to lose weight, but their body feels differently.

What's important here (although you might not see it right now) is how you feel.... To quote your original post "...I had the same NSVs this past round and love how I feel while on whole 30..."

How differently are you eating now to when you weren't on Whole30?

I was eating a lot of grains... Oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice etc.  Before I started powerlifting (almost a year and a half ago.) I competed in long distance endurance events.. Marathons and Ironman competitions.  So I ate a TON of carbs.  Since then I've been doing strictly powerlifting so I eat a lot more protein and fats.  I do believe that my body is happy at this weight.  But for the purposes of competition I need to lose about 10lbs.  And to be honest, I am not happy at this weight.  I have a lot of muscle, but I also have fat I can afford to lose.  My meet is May 13th and I need to weigh under 132.2 lbs. I am currently at 141.  Do you have any recommendations for me?  Any advice is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Whole30 powerlifter said:

Do you have any recommendations for me?

As I said in my initial post this is not a weight loss diet, and even Melissa herself would say that it's foolish to try & hack the Program in order to make it about weight loss.

All I can do is offer to take a look at your meal composition to see if maybe there are some tweaks to be made there, so if you'd like to list out a few days worth of typical food intake along with activity levels etc.... 

Other things to consider:

Are you drinking enough water? 

How is your sleep?

How are your stress levels?

Do you spend time outdoors?

What I will say now though is that you are feeling great right now and there is so much more to you than the number on the scale. If competing is forcing you to unnecessarily deprive your body then I'd question if it's the right thing for you to do.

This morning:

1 cup coffee with vanilla nutpod, 3 eggs, 1/2 can wild salmon, 1 mini sweet potato, about 3/4 cup roasted Brussels sprouts, 1 date.

Yesterday-

breakfast:

coffee with nut pods

3 eggs, 1 link chicken sausage, kale, 1 mini sweet potato, 1/2 avocado.

Lunch:

Chicken meatballs, sweet potato noodles, compliant tomato sauce, cauliflower

Pre workout:

mixed fruit bowl- strawberries, blueberries, banana with cashew butter chopped pecans and chia seeds with almond milk.

Dinner:

Salad with turkey breast cutlets, carrots, 1 date with Tessemaes creamy ranch.  With a side of watermelon.

I can't remember exact meals past yesterday, but I typically eat the same thing every day.  Breakfast is always 3 eggs with some type of meat added (ground bison, ground turkey, chicken sausage or compliant bacon.) Sweet or roasted potato, and avocado.  Sometimes I add kale or other veggie.  Lunch is some type of meat with sweet potato noodles or spaghetti squash or roasted veggies. usually another 1/2 avocado.  Pre workout is normally a little bit of meat with a fruit. or starchy vegetable.  It's normally dinner time when I finish my workout so I have salad with meat, more fruit, and veggies.  I seldom snack.  If I do its a RX bar or nuts.  I drink close to a gallon of water a day but am going to increase it to 1 and 1/2 gallons.  I'm outside constantly ( I do fence sales for a living and I have two big dogs that I take on hikes all the time.). I generally sleep well although I get up usually once or twice during the night to pee.  But I always fall right back to sleep.  Stress levels are moderate I would say.  I'm typically not a very high stress person.

I appreciate your concern about my sport and potentially depriving my body but I am very good at it and it is a passion of mine.  I love competing in Powerlifting.  I would just like to be a little leaner, I feel heavy at my current weight.

21 minutes ago, Whole30 powerlifter said:

This morning:

1 cup coffee with vanilla nutpod, 3 eggs, 1/2 can wild salmon, 1 mini sweet potato, about 3/4 cup roasted Brussels sprouts, 1 date.

Yesterday-

breakfast:

coffee with nut pods

3 eggs, 1 link chicken sausage, kale, 1 mini sweet potato, 1/2 avocado.

Lunch:

Chicken meatballs, sweet potato noodles, compliant tomato sauce, cauliflower

Pre workout:

mixed fruit bowl- strawberries, blueberries, banana with cashew butter chopped pecans and chia seeds with almond milk.

Dinner:

Salad with turkey breast cutlets, carrots, 1 date with Tessemaes creamy ranch.  With a side of watermelon.

I can't remember exact meals past yesterday, but I typically eat the same thing every day.  Breakfast is always 3 eggs with some type of meat added (ground bison, ground turkey, chicken sausage or compliant bacon.) Sweet or roasted potato, and avocado.  Sometimes I add kale or other veggie.  Lunch is some type of meat with sweet potato noodles or spaghetti squash or roasted veggies. usually another 1/2 avocado.  Pre workout is normally a little bit of meat with a fruit. or starchy vegetable.  It's normally dinner time when I finish my workout so I have salad with meat, more fruit, and veggies.  I seldom snack.  If I do its a RX bar or nuts.  I drink close to a gallon of water a day but am going to increase it to 1 and 1/2 gallons.  I'm outside constantly ( I do fence sales for a living and I have two big dogs that I take on hikes all the time.). I generally sleep well although I get up usually once or twice during the night to pee.  But I always fall right back to sleep.  Stress levels are moderate I would say.  I'm typically not a very high stress person.

I appreciate your concern about my sport and potentially depriving my body but I am very good at it and it is a passion of mine.  I love competing in Powerlifting.  I would just like to be a little leaner, I feel heavy at my current weight.

So the first thing that jumps out at me is your preWo. By eating fruit you are providing your body with an immediate source of fuel to burn, meaning it doesn't need to burn fat. Aim for protein & fat, no carbs preWO.

Other than that you are eating A LOT of starchy veg. Keep the starchy veg for postWO and/or meal 3 - that should be plenty given the protein & fat you are consuming. The fruit you're consuming postWO is preferentially replacing liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen. Liver glycogen gets converted into fuel AFTER every other type of glucose in the body is used so it can get stored as fat. Also, you might want completely ditch the preWO since you're having breakfast & lunch anyways and opt for a postWO meal of a lean protein & optional starchy veg, followed up by dinner.

So, basically cut back on fruit & starchy veg & replace with LOTS of greens.

And don't underestimate the importance of rest ;)

Hope this helps.

Archived