Day 48: Appetite changes, tired, and weak

I successfully did my Whole30, had amazing results, and decided to just keep eating Whole30. I didn't miss anything enough to bother reintroducing it. I'm on day 45 and for the last three or four days, I've noticed that I'm getting full much quicker at meals but then I'm hungry early for the next meal and hungry late at night. I rarely snack but push through and try to eat more at the next meal. It's difficult because I'm FULL at meals and when trying to eat more, I feel like I'm going to be sick (gagging). After a few days of this now, I'm starting to feel tired and icky like I'm not eating enough (I've done enough low calorie diets in the past to recognize the feeling). 

The only change lifestyle-wise is that I'm busier, on the go more. I'm taking all my food with me, making sure I've got my full portions, and doing the best I can not to eat while doing other things. I eat on a pretty regular schedule. This busy-ness also means I'm a bit more physically active. I've tried upping my protein and fat a bit to offset it, but then I'm not getting the full veggies I need because I'm full and I'm suffering the digestive issues from reduced fiber. 

I am not on a true Whole30 at present, simply eating as if I am but I'm abstaining from the scale so I haven't weighed since my first 30 days ended on April 7. I can say that I've notice a significant change in weight based on how m clothes fit the last too weeks. I'm concerned I'm not eating enough but I hesitate to add a "4th" meal or afternoon snack and eating more at mealtimes has proven to be nearly impossible. 

Advice?

Thanks, 

Jen

• Moderators

If you're feeling hungry between meals, or feeling like you're not eating enough, it is okay to eat. Throw in an extra meal or mini-meal for a few days and see if it makes a difference. It's normal to need more food if you're more active, and hunger levels can also be affected by hormones, stress, and other factors as well. 

Are you cooking your vegetables or eating more of them raw? I mention this because raw ones are often easier to take on the go so in your increased busyness it could make sense that you might be eating more things like raw carrot sticks or celery, but they're also harder to digest, and I know for me, sometimes when I have a meal with lots of raw veggies, I feel full faster, but also then get hungry faster later -- something about the bulk of raw versus cooked, maybe? So if you're eating more raw vegetables now than you have in the past, maybe try cooked ones for a while and see if that helps at all.

Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, and don't forget to salt your food.

50 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you're feeling hungry between meals, or feeling like you're not eating enough, it is okay to eat. Throw in an extra meal or mini-meal for a few days and see if it makes a difference. It's normal to need more food if you're more active, and hunger levels can also be affected by hormones, stress, and other factors as well. 

Are you cooking your vegetables or eating more of them raw? I mention this because raw ones are often easier to take on the go so in your increased busyness it could make sense that you might be eating more things like raw carrot sticks or celery, but they're also harder to digest, and I know for me, sometimes when I have a meal with lots of raw veggies, I feel full faster, but also then get hungry faster later -- something about the bulk of raw versus cooked, maybe? So if you're eating more raw vegetables now than you have in the past, maybe try cooked ones for a while and see if that helps at all.

Also, be sure you're drinking plenty of water, and don't forget to salt your food.

Thank you! I'll give that a try.

I try to do a healthy mix of raw and mixed veggies. I prefer raw veggies over cooked but too many and my digestive issues act up so I try to do more cooked on average.

Water is a daily struggle, but I try and salt is my new best friend since Whole30! :) I never salted anything in the past, now salt is my go-to spice (although I still don't use a lot of it.)

Thanks for the advice.

Hi. Thanks for this question. I'm having a similar problem on day 24, beginning a few days ago, with feeling full very quickly and feeling like I'm having to choke down food. I'm also historically a very big eater.

My main question is whether I should stop eating meals when I get that sort of nauseous feeling even if I've only eaten a small amount by then? 

Archived