Help! I am on Day 27 and have sugar cravings

Hi! This is my first post here. I am 37, and this is my first Whole30. My PA (attentive, seemingly knowledgeable) asked me to try Whole30 for 2 months--the first time I laughed and said no (years before I had tried something similar and every meal felt like a panic attack as I tried to find something to eat with little guidance). Then he suggested it my next visit and I agreed. My bloodwork was fine, some low Vitamin D and B12, for which I am taking supplements, no hormonal abnormalities, but I have been sitting in the prediabetes zone for about 10 years now and want to make a permanent change for the better.

Of course I started this program without finishing so much as 10 pages of the book. I was eager to get going. I continued to read, and even read some posts on here from people who started Apr 1 (I started the day before).

Things have been going mostly well--I followed the plan nutrition-wise and am thinking about extending it to a Whole45. But...and isn't there always one?...my body's responses did not line up with the average person's experience. I did feel better, more clear-headed. My acne is (frustratingly slowly) disappearing; I sleep better. I have lost weight (hooray!). My cravings have been all across the board, as in completely absent for week 1; strong in week 2; absent for week 3; and two days ago they began again, subtley, then the next day they were stronger. I have nightmares of eating the wrong thing and allowing these off-plan foods suddenly transforms into a license to go crazy on All The Forbidden Foods. WHY is this still an issue? I never got the Tigerblood, and I kinda wanted it. I do have moments later in the day when I have energy surges and I am ready to dance.

Honestly, I want to extend to a Whole45 just to be in a better place psychologically when I begin reintroduction. I was a chronic any-excuse-for-sugar person before Whole30, with a history of good diets for a few weeks then those transitions turned into an eventual weight gain and return to old habits.

Some things working in my favor: I work at a salad bar with lots of protein options; good support network; a more positive attitude without sugar.

Things working against me: I rarely cook at home due to work hours and the availability of food at work; stress; history of psychological triggers for food; lots of desserts at work that only seem appealing when my cravings kick in.

My breakfasts are not always happening within an hour of waking; it is usually eggs with a variety of vegetables. Today I had some curry I made the night before with chicken, squash, bell pepper, cauliflower, onion, garlic, salt, pepper.

Lunches are usually a salad with protein but there were days when it was just fruit and nuts (maybe 4 times?).

Dinners are always salads with steak and/or chicken; broccoli or asparagus; beets; olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Tonight is was a burger with lettuce, onion, tomato, mushrooms, half an avocado, and lots of kimchi and pickles on the side.

i don't know if can go for a whole45. Advice? Does anyone else struggle with cravings this late in the game? Is 45 advisable?

Thank you

PS I know this is the longest post in the world

2 hours ago, Xander1979 said:

My breakfasts are not always happening within an hour of waking; it is usually eggs with a variety of vegetables. Today I had some curry I made the night before with chicken, squash, bell pepper, cauliflower, onion, garlic, salt, pepper.

Lunches are usually a salad with protein but there were days when it was just fruit and nuts (maybe 4 times?).

Hey there & welcome to the Forum!

So the two things I've highlighted won't be helping.

Eating breakfast within an hour of wakening helps to regulate the hormones - these hormones are linked to appetite and if they are out of whack they can and do mess with satiety signals, hunger signals & of course cravings.

Eating fruit on it's own can keep the sugar dragon alive. Even naturally occurring sugars feed those cravings and encourage them to continue. Yes nuts are a fat source, and fat usually slows down absrption of nutrients which *should* help with the impact of the sugar on the system, but nuts are also pretty carb dense, and are also tough to absorb so the sugar does it's damage regardless.

On top of that there a thing called an 'Extinction Burst'. This is basically the brain's last ditch effort to get you to cave in and give it that quick fix of dopamine it knows it will get from sugar. Your brain is fighting with you & trying to trick you into returning to old habits. Stay strong.

It will really help if your meals are composed as per the template - with adequate protein, lots of veg, and a serving of fat..

On the subject of fat; fat is pleasureable to the brain. It provides the same kind of high as the chemical high you get from sugar, but without the pain. So if a craving strikes that you're struggling to get past with a distraction technique then reach for some fat. Nothing else will work like fat will. Fat is your friend ;)

Thank you! When I have my meals they do follow the template with plenty of vegetables and fat and protein. With me not cooking as much, the challenge to keep things interesting has been high. I love my avocados and oils!

I will be more time-minded with my meals for the next few days. I work sometimes six to seven hours straight with dinners at 11 pm or 12 am. If I can get that time better, I will!

Thanks for the info about the extinction burst. I tried some dried black mission figs as part of the green bean recipe and boy was it Close to being a no brakes moment.

Thank you for your kindness and fast response!

Archived