Can't control concentrated fat sources

I'm on day 27 and having a hard time with portion control when it comes to concentrated fat sources. I have been fully compliant but have taken nuts, nut butters, and coconut butter out of my diet and deemed them FWNB due to regular binges. These past couple weeks I have found that now coconut oil, mayo, and ghee are becoming another binge trigger. I hate to remove all of these items from my diet to avoid over eating due to thief nutritional benefits but with a history of anerexia turned BED I'm scared to keep them in the house Any advice? I just want to have control over my food and not let food control me! Also I'm dealing with some hormonal imbalance (amenorrhea for the past three years) could there be a connection? 

Is it possible you're not eating enough in general and so your body actually feels like it *needs* the fat?

Or perhaps that your schedule is meaning you're going attempting to go too long between meals resulting in the binge?

What have you eaten say over the past 3-4 days?

What does your schedule look like?

Do you keep a daily journal to help identify triggers?

ETA: Just looked at a previous post of yours - did you ever add in pre/postWO meals & reduce your training sessions?

I woke 6am -2pm and work out about an hour 5x a week at 3pm-4pm. My meals are pretty similar week to week. This weeks is as follows 

meal 1 - 5:30 am

coffee with nutpods

three eggs and a large handful of kale sautéed in ghee, 1 small sweet potato, and half an avocado

or

about 1 and 1/2 cups ground turkey 93/7, sliced parsnips, and large hand full of kale cooked in avocado oil and topped with tessemaes buffalo sauce and a banana 

meal 2 11:00am

1 can of salmon, large handful of spinach, about 1/2 cup raw radishes and carrots sliced, 1/2 and avocado, drizzled with a generous amount of Avi oil dressing, and an apple or sweet potato 

Pwo 4:15

1/2 can of canned chicken breast with about 1 cup roasted butternut squash

meal 3  5:30 pm

1/4 of a roasted chicken basted in ghee along with roasted ghee carrots on arugula with a small sweet potato and a large dollop of homemade mayo

About 2 cups of tea through out the day with nutpods

i have been doing orange theory work outs and found that even eating a hard boiled egg or 1/2 a can of sardines 75 min prior leaves me burping it up during class so I have just omitted  the pre workout meal. 

Just saw your edit! Yes I only work out 1 hour 5x a week now, no morning cardio and shorter actual training session but a little more intense. I did add post work out meals and more carbs! Also drinking about 4 litters a day of water 

36 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Is it possible you're not eating enough in general and so your body actually feels like it *needs* the fat?

Or perhaps that your schedule is meaning you're going attempting to go too long between meals resulting in the binge?

What have you eaten say over the past 3-4 days?

What does your schedule look like?

Do you keep a daily journal to help identify triggers?

ETA: Just looked at a previous post of yours - did you ever add in pre/postWO meals & reduce your training sessions?

Also thanks again for your help an attention to details, you really are a great moderator on this forum! 

Honestly your meals look okay to me. You're certainly getting enough protein for your activity level, and you look to be getting enough fat. If anything I'd say you're maybe eating too much in terms of starch - particularly having come from a low carb back-ground.

How do you feel?

I mean, are you having cravings do you think that are leading to the binges? Do you feel hungry? Snacky? Bored?

The amenorrhea & the fat binges could absolutely be linked, and I'm tempted to say just run with it for a few days (the body generally tries hard to get us to eat what it needs; or it could be some kind of extinction burst - your brain trying to encourage you back to old habits for the 'high') and see how you go, but I am also reluctant to leave you to it and see you back slide into old habits.

So.... I'd suggest maybe switching out some of the starchy veg/fruit for non starchy (certainly at meal one) for a day or two to see how you fare with that, and keep a note of your mood/feelings/emotions if you feel like a binge might be approaching.

Please keep us posted!

In general I feel good physically, I have always been a pretty energetic and happy person although I get irritable and anxious around food. I do feel hunger between meals and I find the binges to always be on nights my husband is working and I'm alone. I feel I think about food a lot once I'm off work and into the evening as if I'm longing for dinner then once I eat it's almost as if I get sad it's over. This makes me sound so crazy haha. Usually I just continue in with the night but then once or twice a week I give in to eating "just a little more" which ends up in a binge... every time.. I can't exactly tell if I'm hungry and just want to eat! Like mentally I'm hungry but I just ate dinner so how could I physically be hungry? And it's almost always a craving for high fats and sometimes proteins. Not specific to sweet or salty though so I don't think it's a sugar dragon. 

Ill tru refucing carbs in meal one, I actually added them in to see if they made the "hunger" at night go away thinking maybe I wasn't fueling my body enough. I'll keep post work out carbs and make sure I don't make meal 2 or 3 too carb dense. 

Thanks again for for all your help, I'll try it for a couple days and report back!

also I will be getting a hormone and metabolic panel done in a couple weeks so that will be interesting to see if any hormone deficiency is creating the fat cravings. 

9 minutes ago, hbislick said:

make sure I don't make meal 2 or 3 too carb dense.

I'd do it the other way round - drop the carbs in the morning - they're less likely to impact hunger/cravings/mood etc when eaten later in the day.

Ever thought of trying crafting in the evenings? Or tracing your family tree? or taking up Sudoku? Something that occupies your hands AND mind - and if you can throw some music into the mix rather than TV even better.... It's sounds to me like you're just bored - something I can empathise with on the nights my kids are at their Dads.

I'd be interested in hearing the results of that panel too - good luck!

Yes I understood! Forgot to add I'll leave the carbs out of 1 and just make sure 2 and 3 aren't super carb heavy as well. I have been taking my pup on walking after dinner every night which her and I both love but I'm just now making the connection that the nights my schedule runs late or I have more errands and get a little stressed and I can't walk her the binges happen! 

Ya, it sounds like you have some work to do beyond the food you're putting on your plate.  You've gotten that part dialed in, which can be the hard part for most people, so give yourself kudos.  Now it's time for the inner stuff.

56 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Ya, it sounds like you have some work to do beyond the food you're putting on your plate.  You've gotten that part dialed in, which can be the hard part for most people, so give yourself kudos.  Now it's time for the inner stuff.

Thank you lol I owe the whole30 for that one, now if only there was a while30 that could fix my hormones and emotions too! Or maybe this one will... all in time :) here's to the last three days and then reintro!

31 minutes ago, hbislick said:

Thank you lol I owe the whole30 for that one, now if only there was a while30 that could fix my hormones and emotions too! Or maybe this one will... all in time :) here's to the last three days and then reintro!

Yeah, you might wanna check out Whole9 ;)

And then take a look at >this thread<

Although >last year's thread< will probably give you a better understanding of what Whole9 is about.....

You're welcome! B)

Archived