Paleo after Whole30

Cbowman2010

Hello! 

Im coming on my day 30 which is monday, and I am currently listening to Food Freedom Forever. I do plan on doing the reintroduction phase, but after that was considering trying paleo. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm having a difficult time finding any differences other than with paleo you can "recreate treats." Any info/suggestions/advice is much needed! 

I'm on day 30 today and plan to stay paleo, too.  The other difference I see is that you can have natural added sweeteners (honey) on paleo.  Still looking into all the details, though.  It'll be a slow-roll reintroduction off of the Whole30 for me.

• Moderators

Paleo is not really one specific way of eating. There are multiple people and websites out there that have some things in common, and then differ in other aspects.

If there's a particular Paleo blogger or author whose stuff resonates with you, start there. That might be Robb Wolf or Chris Kresser or if you tolerate a little dairy, you might prefer more primal than Paleo, as Mark's Daily Apple suggests. I'm sure I've left out some, but these names should give you a place to start.

Also know that Whole30 isn't meant to be forever, and Melissa's latest book Food Freedom Forever is her suggestions for how to come up with your own plan for how to eat for the rest of your life, which isn't whole30 or Paleo or any other named thing, it's your plan that you develop for yourself.

I want to be fat adapted. From the research I have done and listening to Robb Wolf, Abel James, Sean Stevenson etc that is where it is at. My mom is fat adapted and she has so much energy, no cravings, not a lot of hunger and she can eat as much as she wants--Except sugar. So whether that comes from ketogenic diet or paleo or Whole 30 it means no sugar right? And why can't whole 30 be forever? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Strictlyspeaking said:

I want to be fat adapted. From the research I have done and listening to Robb Wolf, Abel James, Sean Stevenson etc that is where it is at. My mom is fat adapted and she has so much energy, no cravings, not a lot of hunger and she can eat as much as she wants--Except sugar. So whether that comes from ketogenic diet or paleo or Whole 30 it means no sugar right? And why can't whole 30 be forever? 

Fat adaptation is different from ketosis. You can be fat adapted and still eat a fist sized serving of starchy veggie or some fruit every day. Fat adaptation simply means the ability for your body to easily switch between fuel sources whether that is fat/body fat or carbohydrates that you're feeding it. Anyone who is following the meal template for composition and timing, is not snacking on fruits/using larabars on the reg, is more than likely fat adapted. 

Ketosis is a whole other thing and not something that we recommend for most people who are coming to Whole30. Especially women and especially women who have hormonal disruptions or underlying health conditions.  You're certainly free to seek out ketosis info but you will rarely find that here and we don't recommend it. Our recommendation to almost everyone is to start with at least a fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day. You might need more to feel your best, you might need less. Start there though. 

As far as Whole30 forever................it's just not realistic. The instant you consume an offplan ingredient whether that's in a cough drop during your winter cold or you have a couple tortilla chips during happy hour or you want a drink of alcohol at that happy hour, your Whole30 is over. No birthday cake, no sugar in breakfast sausage or ketchup, no cookie at Christmas, no restaurant salad dressing. Never. Ever. You see? FOREVER actually means 100% compliance every single day, forever. What you CAN do though is a Food Freedom plan where you figure out what parts of Whole30-based eating you want to keep on with and what you think is worth it for you. Maybe that's only one cupcake on your birthday once a year. Even so, that's not Whole30 forever. That's your Food Freedom. 

Archived