Constipated AF! Yep, I'm going there.

Hola! I am on Day 12 of my first W30 and I haven't been able to have a normal bowel movement in about 6 days + I am constantly bloated. Pre-W30, I suffered from constipation & bloating on a regular basis, which is part of the reason I embarked upon this journey. Here is a look at my average day:

6:00 AM - Workout (30 min, HIIT/weights)

8:00 AM - Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato, 1 tbs almond butter, black coffee

12:00 PM - Lunch: Large salad with spinach/mixed greens, 1 palm size chicken breast, assorted veggies/fruit, 1 tbs Tessamae's dressing + balsamic vinegar

4:00 PM - Snack: 1 hard-boiled egg + sliced red pepper, or celery/apple + almond butter

8:00 PM - Dinner: 1 palm size chicken breast, tons of roasted broccoli/cauliflower/brussels, 1/2 mashed avocado, Frank's Red Hot (approved), decaf black coffee

Drinking 75-100 oz of water + fresh lemon/lime and taking a pro-biotic daily.

Wondering if perhaps I'm still not drinking enough water? For reference, I am 6'1" 175 lbs. Also thinking I might have FODMAP issues since my tummy inflates like a balloon after every single meal :( 

Any suggestions/advice would be so much appreciated!

It could be FODMAPS, but I actually found around Day 12 that I cannot have hardboiled eggs at all.  They cause horrific bloating and gas for me.  I've eaten them for years, but the Whole 30 helped me figure it out quickly.  I also struggle with eating the cruciferous veggies for the same reason, particularly brussel sprouts and cabbage.  I ration broccoli and cauliflower.  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you tried Magnesium?  Magnesium Serene and Magnesium Calm are two popular brands.  If you get unflavored they are compliant.  Probably won't help with the gassiness but might help you poop!  I take the full 800mg dose (2 tsp) of Magnesium Serene to help with regular pooping.  The Calm brand is a lower mg/serving.  Also, is your probiotic a pill or fermented foods?  You get more bang for your buck from real fermented foods than pills - more like the way we were meant to get the little buggers into our guts :) Kombucha is a pricey (yet tasty!) option, fermented carrots and ginger (vs sauerkraut)... things like that.  And one more crazy thing.  I'm about 4 months post partum and was having the WORST constipation for about 2 months.  I went every day but they were rabbit pellets and when they bunched together... holy painful.  I read about resistant starch and started incorporating a lot of cooked and cooled potatoes into my diet.  I also upped the Magnesium.  I don't know which helped but I'm still eating only cooked and cooled potatoes (meaning I never just make a potato and eat it - I cook a bunch so they can cool before being reheated and eaten) and taking daily Mg.  All good on the poo front now!

Bloating is tough - its whack-a-mole trying to find the culprit... in general fewer gassy veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) and more veggies like lettuce, spinach, zucchini etc might help!  I'm sure each person on here can tell you what makes *them* gassy but out of your list apples (oddly enough) are my issue...  If you do decide to do the FODMAP thing maybe finish your W30 first - see if in 30 days W30 changes help sort things out before doing two things at once.  

Hi There!

There are things at every meal that could be causing your issues.    Some people have issues with nuts, avocados, eggs, etc.  If you are super uncomfortable and not going - then it is worth playing around with this stuff.  

Stress can be a huge factor with bloating and gasiness.   So if you are stressed - it could be working against you.  And incidentally if you are not eating enough - you body is NOT going to make it a priority to get rid of stuff either.

If you are interested in exploring the FODMAP issue - please read this excellent article by the Paleo Mom. https://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/

Also I'm going to suggest playing around with your fat content.  I know when I don't get enough fat in my meals I will have "issues" in the form of constipation as well....  I have the same thing with not getting enough resistant starch as well.  Too much there are issues, and too little there are issues.  Everyone has a "sweet spot" that works the best for them.

I second the suggestion of magnesium - it helps you with sleep as well - so it's worth looking into.

If this is an entirely new way of eating for you - you may benefit from a digestive enzyme to help things move along.

Whatever you do - don't make all the changes all at once.  Chose one from all the suggestions you have received and work at it.  If you do more than one at one time - it could basically backfire and you will be more uncomfortable.

Archived