Meal Template Confusion & Lack of Confidence

I am on Day 19. I have been using the Whole 30 Cookbook for many of my dinners, and I typically eat those as leftovers or salads, chicken, pepitas and dressing of some kind for lunch. For breakfast, I probably don't eat enough, but my hunger has subsided. I made some "pizza" egg muffins from an Instagram account through Whole 30, or frittatas (with added ground pork or chicken) from the cookbook. Sometimes I'll throw in fruit. At first I was eating way too many nuts. I have decreased the intake of nuts, with the exception of apples and nut butter from time to time. 

I work extremely long days at times (from 10-12 hours), and I haven't been able to bring enough food to have mini-meals. I will occasionally eat an apple, or cucumbers and mayo/sauce for snacks. One day this week, I had a larabar (it was parent teacher conferences), and a different day I ate 3 date "balls" rolled in almonds. I know they aren't supposed to be eaten much, but my will power is a struggle at times, so doing this program is a win. 

I work out multiple times a week (2-4) but not daily. I CANNOT eat before I work out, I literally get so sick and want to throw up; even if I eat two hours before, it bothers me. It's been this way since high school. I usually do cardio/weight training, and occasionally yoga.  I try to eat as soon as I get home after my workout. 

Additionally, I am highly allergic to many raw vegetables: carrots, celery, bean sprouts. I can eat them cooked. If I eat too much broccoli or cauliflower it upsets my stomach. 

Here's the issue: I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I look on the forum way too much. I'm feeling insecure, like I am screwing up. It's this weird feeling I get sometimes when I do new things--being perfect. I'm far from it. I know I need to let this go, but I also know I need more food for breakfast and lunch, but I don't know what to do or how to change it. What should I be preparing for breakfast? Lunch? How can I let go of this feeling of "doing it wrong"? What vegetables and fats should I be including? How can I be better about the "meal template" thing?  

Thanks guys. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Redheelr said:

Here's the issue: I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I look on the forum way too much. I'm feeling insecure, like I am screwing up. It's this weird feeling I get sometimes when I do new things--being perfect. I'm far from it. I know I need to let this go, but I also know I need more food for breakfast and lunch, but I don't know what to do or how to change it. What should I be preparing for breakfast? Lunch? How can I let go of this feeling of "doing it wrong"? What vegetables and fats should I be including? How can I be better about the "meal template" thing?  

Thanks guys. 

You're not doing it wrong and no one is perfect. You could look at 100 people's Whole30's and they would all look a bit different. Are there things that we recommend to most people in order that they get the best results from their efforts? Yes. But are those people then doing it perfectly? Nope.

For breakfast you should be eating a template meal. Protein 1-2 times the size of your palm. 2-3 cups cooked veggies. 1-2 servings of fat. If you can't eat it all at one sitting, eat what you can, take it with you to eat again as soon as you are able. Same for lunch. Pack a good sized lunch. Leftovers usually work well here. Hard boil some eggs and throw those in your lunch kit as a better alternative to stand-alone fruit when you need a mini-meal. It'll keep you going longer and won't give you that jacked/dropped blood sugar which can wreak havoc with your hunger signals/stability.

Pre-workout is entirely optional. If you feel fine working out without it, go for it, lots of people do. More to the point if you do a workout that you feel has depleted you, you need lean protein and some starchy veggie. A couple bites of chicken breast and some sweet potato is popular. Egg whites and white potato.

If you want to list what you're eating, go for it. We can help you tweak if you like. :) 

• Administrators

Protein that is 1-2 palms worth. 2-3 cups veggies. 1-2 servings of fat. 

Whatever foods you like that fit. Pick a protein, pick a couple veggies, pick a fat.

I get what you're asking but this isn't like other plans where they tell you what to eat at each meal.

Ground beef, mashed cauliflower and ghee

Chicken thighs, kale slaw and avocado

Canned salmon, bell peppers and mayo

Anything you want that is protein, fat and veggie. :)

Archived