Reintroduction/Continuation Discussion for April 1 Forum

• Administrators
18 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

So if I get a little gassy with black beans, does that mean I shouldn't eat them because perhaps they are having an negative effect ? It wasn't horrible, just a little .

It depends on if you feel like a bit of gas was worth eating the beans for. :) 

Beans create gas because their sugars are too large to pass through the small intestinal wall so they make it into the large intestine intact. Your gut bacteria get to work on devouring them and that creates excess gas which is released. It doesn't mean you're allergic to beans or that they are harming you, mostly it's just a matter of how severe the gas is for you, personally, and whether or not you want to eat beans, knowing they cause you gas issues.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, 50andstillhere said:

So if I get a little gassy with black beans, does that mean I shouldn't eat them because perhaps they are having an negative effect ? It wasn't horrible, just a little .

I'm with you. I had hummus today, peanut butter, and then black beans. No immediate weirdness with the hummus or PB, but the black beans feel heavy. Like they are sitting a little too long. 

Hey Everyone, 

The forum was a great help and inspiration to get me through first 30 days of the Whole 30! Thought we should continue on as a group!

I am a true believer! I think re-introductions is going to be hard, but here we go! We added dairy back first, for the cheese lover in our house! (not me, my bf).

Are you doing the fast track? What did everyone else start with? 

Amanda

Legumes on day 31...*black beans are OUT!), then on Saturday Im jumping into gluten beer as I'm attending a HomeBrew Fest. Not super excited about reintroducing alcohol so quickly, but Im going to keep it moderate, and then see what happens. 

I added Greek yogurt and didn't have any negative reaction, but one dinner I added grated Parmesan cheese to ratatouille (which was dinner) and had horrible cramps and nausea that woke me up all night. That was a total shocker! So tonight I added a lot less to see what happens. The first time I had it, I wanted to eat too much of it because it had been off limits and I do love cheese.

I haven't reintroduced anything else yet...because I'm realizing that I need to keep eating mostly the same as the Whole30 food plan to stay in control for now. Hopefully that will cement good habits.

I've reintroduced non-gluten grains and legumes so far, but both in a very limited capacity. Tomorrow I'm trying soy - I'm pretty concerned about that, I have a hunch it could be one of my digestive issues. I'm almost more comfortable with my regular whole 30 days in between!

I've also had one major sugar bomb, and it made me feel terrible afterwards. Not because of guilt, but because I crashed! I could barely keep my eyes open at work. I've certainly learned the consequences. I'm still weighing if it was "worth it", it was delicious and I enjoyed every last crumb, but I wasn't loving how it made me feel.

Also I finally weighed myself! I only lost one measly little pound but I lost 2.5" inches off my waist. Good reminder some numbers might show better results than others.

I reintroduced gluten beer today. And was moderate! Maybe 2- 16oz pours for an entire day (11-7pm). I stuck to the plan of eating Whole30. At the after party, they had a taco truck. I gave my corn tortillas to the person across from me. It was easy to do. I have to admit, I kinda wanted another beer, BUT, did I really want another beer? No. I wanted water and needed to lie down in a bed. Symptoms of beer so far: slightly stuffy head and nose. 

Will know more tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, WholeRunner said:

I've reintroduced non-gluten grains and legumes so far, but both in a very limited capacity. Tomorrow I'm trying soy - I'm pretty concerned about that, I have a hunch it could be one of my digestive issues. I'm almost more comfortable with my regular whole 30 days in between!

How did the soy reintroduction go? I've read that soybeans have become receptacles for pesticides and so are more loaded with them than other legumes, unless they're organic of course. So if they bother you, maybe that's why? I couldn't find the original article that I read about it but here's a link on the subject: http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=SY

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone fallen off the map? Or I must not be getting notifications. In the process of moving and I found a donation bag of clothes, with a couple of pairs of pricey jeans that I could no longer fit into. Really. I was convinced, at 45, this body was where it was at, and those cute Hudsons were relics of my past. Good news! They fit, and I'm keeping 'em. 

Hello Jklovey71,

I have only reintroduced bread, peanuts, and honey. I really did not do well with no sweetener in my tea. I like having honey in my tea. 

I am going to make the Whole30 a lifelong habit. 

I am 46 and I have the flattest stomach I ever had.

That is great that you fit into smaller clothing!!!

Hi there - I too have been checking to see if anyone is posting and I miss the positive feedback. 

My reintrodctions were interesting this time around. It seems that I tolerate beans ok and some dairy, but I are out in a restaurant - cheese cake factory and had a horrible stomach ache.  I am not sure if it was due to the salad dressing or blue cheese. On the other hand I ate at very upscale Italian restaurant and had fried calamari and I had no problems. I think for me it depends on the quality of food. I am still trying to avoid gluten but I am eating some carbs like rice.

Keep posting!!

I made a discovery!!!!!!!!

During my Whole30 my low back pain went away. At first I thought it was because I used one pillow to sleep with.

2 nights ago I used 2 pillows and I woke up with back pain. 

Yesterday we had Famous Daves for lunch. I had corn muffins, corn on the cob at lunch and cereal with milk for dinner. I slept with 1 pillow. I woke up with back pain!!!!

6 months ago I thought my back pain was due to not having good form in weight lifting. 

Now I know that grains give me back pain!!! 

I will have food freedom with grains.

I finished rentry, and dairy remains my main issue. Some issues with grains in general causing fatigue. Biggest surprise:  I got pregnant!  It is unplanned but welcome (and scary--third baby!). I am shocked that this Whole30 made such a difference in my body that this occurred. 

Archived