5/7 Start Date - looking for a buddy

jokane

Hi,

I'm not new to Whole30, in fact it is helping me heal so many old issues in my body I love it and eat Whole30-ish most of the time now!  I've been a bit too heavy on "ish" side of things lately so plan on starting a formal Whole30 on May 8th.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to join me and buddy up as support for each other?  I'm 53, female, live in Colorado.  I'm thinking a daily sort of check in email, or posting here on the forum.  Let me know if you're interested.  Thanks!  Janice

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Janice, I'm in!  I did whole 30 Feb 27th and I was doing pretty well up until Easter.  Then the sugar dragon returned and I can't seem to calm him down again.  I found that I actually felt so much better without the sugars/carbs, but it took a few weeks of being bad to realize the difference again.  My hands and feet are swollen again and I just feel crappy.  Funny part was I didn't see much of a change while doing the 30 days until I started to cheat weeks down the road.  I've been looking for a way to motivate myself to start up again and I'm happy to have found you!  I work out a lot and live in NJ but my bad eating habits are getting the best of me.  I do eat very well, but then at night, I start snacking on pure crap for no reason!  It's awful.  Good luck!  I love Colorado!

Hi Janice and NJ,

I am in!  I am 52, female in Massachusetts.  I have never done Whole30 before.  I need a BIG change to stop the bad habits and constant weight gain.  I picked May 8 as my start date because I have NO obligations on the calendar.  I look forward to your advice and will most willing offer support and tough love if you want it :)

I have told my sisters, my daughter, my boyfriend and his son to be on notice.  I may call them crying and their job is to tell me that I can do anything for 30 days!  I told my daughter, carbs are on her.  She just turned 18 and if she wants rice with dinner, she can make it. 

Currently, I eat mindlessly.  Sugar is a food group and white bread rules!!  I am hoping 30 days gets my out of my 2pm sleepy funk, more energy all day, more clarity (I seem to forget things lately), help with my skin issues (eczema and psoriasis) and to drop a few pounds.  (ok, I would love to drop more than a few pounds, who wouldn't?) 

I will check in daily, reach out to my by email as needed!  We Rock!!  Lisa

Welcome Lisa!  I think the best piece of advice I can give you is something you already know.  Get rid of the social obligations on the calendar.  I don't mean hide in your house for 30 days but at least for the first two weeks avoid parties, going out for meals or social settings surrounded by food.  I really only had one party I had to attend in the beginning of the 30 days and I brought all my own food.  It wasn't too bad since I was all excited about it and it was still new.  I think its a lot easier to just cook all your meals than to be tempted by dining out when you really can't control the food you eat, even if you try or think you know what you are eating.  Go heavy on the veggies and make sure they are in every meal.  I was hungry in the beginning because I didnt eat enough at breakfast.  Cut the fruits almost completely,  They do not keep you full.  I lost 7lbs but think I've gained it back so I'm hoping to get back on track.  Good luck!   Happy to help!

Hi all, I'm in as well for a start date of May 8th! I've been looking for something to help change my eating habits and this program just makes so much sense. I started eating mostly Whole30 about 2 weeks ago, but I've made a few rookie mistakes along the way...I figured I'd get them all out of the way before my real start date. I'm also going out of town this weekend to a Sheep and Wool festival (I'm a knitter and spinner) and I want to eat some of the food at the festival without worrying about what oil the food was cooked in. So, I am in for starting Monday and am looking forward to doing this journey with all of you.

I am in as well! I am going camping this weekend and plan to use the getaway as a mental reset, so that when I get back on Monday I am ready to shake myself out of my bad habits (mainly overeating sugary and fatty foods) and to fall in love with healthy eating again. I used to be a very healthy eater in college, but since starting my first full-time job a few years ago, I have gained 20+ unnecessary pounds. My sugar dragon is definitely rampaging right now, so daily check-ins/emails to keep each other motivated and accountable would be awesome!

I think I am going to start the 6th! I'm so nervous. I eat A LOT of bread and cheese. I'm a nurse and I know it's a horrible diet, and it's starting to catch up to me. Any support or words of wisdom would be helpful :)

Hi everyone, I've never actually done a whole 30 before, planning to start May 8th, Monday. 

I have been struggling with sugar cravings, some skin issues, and low energy. I really want to feel better, sleep better, and gain energy. I also want to gain control over my cravings, have a healthier relationship with food, and lose some extra weight! 

I do try to eat healthy most of the time but love sweets and can't seem to stay consistent. I hope the support and tips on this forum will help :)

Stress eating and not enough time are My biggest struggles! I hope we can all help each other. 

Welcome to the newcomers! 

I think I was so excited to post that I forgot to fully introduce myself. Like many of you, I struggle with evening snacking and sweets, but my bigger concern is that I was eating fast food or take out for around 50% of my weekly meals. I made an effort to exercise and eat some salads and other healthy things, but it was not enough to counteract all the junk I was eating. I heard about the Whole30 and started reading It Starts with Food. One night, as I was reading, I made the decision to throw out my salty and sugary snacks and the next day I cleaned out my pantry. I had a few social obligations that kept me from eating 100% clean that first week, and I had things to learn (like the ham, bacon, and deli turkey meat I was eating were not compliant), but I don't think I've eaten any added sugar in over a week. I've found that making sure to eat enough fat at each meal is essential so that I don't get hungry between meals and that I typically only crave sugar if I let myself get too hungry.  I'm feeling very good about my progress and I'm excited to start my "real" Whole30 on Monday. 

PREP-PREP-PREP sounds like the key to success.  I read most of the Whole30 book - the timeline scares me.  :huh:  Yesterday, I worked with my daughter to clean out the pantry.  We agreed on (2) shelves for me at eye level.  She gets the bottom two.  Only compliant foods go on those shelves.  My goal for today is to plan my week one meals.  I think I get too complicated with the planning and the meals but hope if I post on the refrigerator, I will know what to eat when I am out of energy and will power.  Unfortunately, picking a start date is working against me a bit.  I have been eating everything I think I am going to miss.  Anyone else "celebrating the end" of bad eating?  Looking forward to Monday. :)

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

I read most of the Whole30 book - the timeline scares me.  :huh:  

Not everyone experiences everything on the timeline, and for most people, while you may be tired or grumpy, it's not usually completely overwhelming -- you can generally still go on with whatever you normally do in your day-to-day life, you just may be a little groggy or a little irritable.

When you're planning your meals, know that you don't have to plan each meal out completely, like, Tuesday we're having this for lunch and this for supper. You can do that if you like that structure, but many people prefer doing a big cookup for the week, and then mixing and matching protein, fat, and vegetables at each meal. Also think about things you can keep in the pantry or freezer that cook up quickly, in case you are running late or burn whatever you planned on having or whatever, so you can still have healthy foods available. Here's some ideas, and also consider things like frozen burger patties or chicken breasts that you can cook from frozen and bags of frozen vegetables that can be cooked quickly.

20 hours ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

PREP-PREP-PREP sounds like the key to success.  I read most of the Whole30 book - the timeline scares me.  :huh:  Yesterday, I worked with my daughter to clean out the pantry.  We agreed on (2) shelves for me at eye level.  She gets the bottom two.  Only compliant foods go on those shelves.  My goal for today is to plan my week one meals.  I think I get too complicated with the planning and the meals but hope if I post on the refrigerator, I will know what to eat when I am out of energy and will power.  Unfortunately, picking a start date is working against me a bit.  I have been eating everything I think I am going to miss.  Anyone else "celebrating the end" of bad eating?  Looking forward to Monday. :)

One of the reasons I started my Whole30 eating a little early was to avoid that celebration eating. I was having visions of running out and buying all the sugary things I wouldn't be able to eat once I started. I decided that wasn't in the spirit of the program though and quit cold turkey. Surprisingly, I haven't really missed any of the sugary or snack stuff that I normally would eat. Not that I haven't had any cravings, but they only seem to come when I'm really hungry and happen to see something tempting. All that being said, I'm probably going to eat some off plan things this weekend (that was the whole point of making my start date on Monday), so we'll see. I don't want to jump off completely and I want to try to avoid gluten and sugar as much as possible, but I remember last year there were a bunch of different ways to eat sheep meat, so I'd like to try something new. And maybe get some french fries, just because. ;) 

I agree with Shannon, I had one day of sugar withdrawal symptoms and then I started feeling better. You may not experience everything on the timeline.  As for meal planning, I do some semi-batch cooking. I'll usually make enough for breakfast, lunch and supper for 2-3 days at a time. I also try to keep some pre-sliced veggies on hand that can be thrown into a pan and sauteed along with some easy to cook meat or pre-cooked meat. This has helped a lot on days when I've come home from a run, realized I was out of leftovers and so had to cook something while I was exhausted.

Hi, I am new to Whole30, I also need buddy. I live in NH, work in CT and NH (12 hr shifts) life can be a challenge. I am determined to feel better and beat the sugar dragon. I just joined the forum but have been doing the program since May 1st. I do miss cream and sugar in my coffee in the morning but it is getting better.

Hi, I did this in Feb and took some time off in April.  So I'm back on the horse tomorrow.  Funny, I agree on the coffee but although I have been eating terrible this past month, the one thing I didn't go back to was coffee with cream and sugar!  Which is the biggest shock to me.  Didn't think I would handle the black but its been fine and I'm happy I didn't go back to my normal coffee mix.  good luck!

42 minutes ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

Ugh - Ready to quit before I start.  I have botched (2) attempts at the basic mayo.  Any commercial brands compliant?  I don't think I can make this.

Amazon has Primal Kitchen mayo--both avocado oil and chipotle. But don't give up on making your own. (Better and cheaper.) Get an immersion blender and a pint jar and read any of the mayo threads on the forum for how tos. And use your failed mayo as a basting sauce for fish or chicken or make dump ranch dressing out of it. 

47 minutes ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

Ugh - Ready to quit before I start.  I have botched (2) attempts at the basic mayo.  Any commercial brands compliant?  I don't think I can make this.

There are no mayo's in stores that I found.  But I cut the mayo recipes completely because they added unnecessary calories and time to the prep.  I kept it simple and low in the calorie department.  It really depends on your goals.  What are you adding it to?

1 minute ago, Kick the habit said:

There are no mayo's in stores that I found.  But I cut the mayo recipes completely because they added unnecessary calories and time to the prep.  I kept it simple and low in the calorie department.  It really depends on your goals.  What are you adding it to?

I was trying to follow the week 1 menu as it is planned in the Whole30 book.  I was going to add it to chicken for lunch tomorrow.  Do most of the veteran's stay away from dressing as well?  

1 minute ago, Kick the habit said:

Whole30 has nothing to do with low calorie and tracking calories is counter productive. Eating fats at every meal is essential to feeling satisfied and energetic. Have you seen the meal template? Make sure you're eating three template meals with 1-2 thumbs of fat (or the equivalent portions of olives, avocados, etc) at EVERY meal if you want to see the most benefits. Fat is your friend on Whole30.

1 minute ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

I was trying to follow the week 1 menu as it is planned in the Whole30 book.  I was going to add it to chicken for lunch tomorrow.  Do most of the veteran's stay away from dressing as well?  

No, no and no. We know how essential fats are at every meal 

6 minutes ago, LisaNotOriginal said:

I loved the dressing with the kale and Brussels sprout salad, it can be used with lots of things and was simple to make.

5 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Whole30 has nothing to do with low calorie and tracking calories is counter productive. Eating fats at every meal is essential to feeling satisfied and energetic. Have you seen the meal template? Make sure you're eating three template meals with 1-2 thumbs of fat (or the equivalent portions of olives, avocados, etc) at EVERY meal if you want to see the most benefits. Fat is your friend on Whole30.

I didn't track calories and I did include some fats in my diet, but this time I'm cutting the potatoes completely and eating smaller portions because some of them were too big.  My fats were the avocado, oils and almond butter.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kick the habit said:

I didn't track calories and I did include some fats in my diet, but this time I'm cutting the potatoes completely and eating smaller portions because some of them were too big.  My fats were the avocado, oils and almond butter.

Cutting out potato and being considerate of your portions is a-ok, however it's not okay to suggest or insinuate to other members that fat is something to be avoided.  You can read upthread and see how quickly that became confusing to new participants.

@LisaNotOriginal please pay atttention to the template, you need to be adding fat in the prescribed portions to every meal. We also don't count calories as @ArtFossil has said.  Your goal is to eat three meals a day spaced 4-5 hours apart and you WILL need to eat to the template in order to get there. :)

Archived