5/7 Start Date - looking for a buddy

jokane

@AB_MN Yeah, I'm still physically exhausted from all that walking this weekend. It was about 9-10 miles each day. :o Good for you for getting some activity in, even if you're feeling a little low energy. Since starting the Whole30, I've found that even if I'm feeling tired I still have it in me to exercise.

@SugarcubeOD Thanks! I love that quote..."We're not cattle, so we don't need to be weighed". That's got me considering throwing out my scale for good! Who needs it? :D The puppy was only temporary. She belongs to a friend, so I get to be the fun "aunt" who cares for her while her owners are away and comes over to take her on walks or play, but I don't have any of the big responsibilities, like vet bills. Win-win for me. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Monday! And Day 9 for me!

Saturday  was a tough one for me. My schedule was kind of funny and we were doing a lot of work outside, so just wanted to not cook anything and order something in. I was also really bloated and cramping which was weird on day six I think. 

Yesterday was really great though. My husband and I cooked a compliant lunch together and ate it outside in the beautiful weather. It was so great. I would consider it a non-scale victory because we never cook or eat together. My in-laws were also very accommodating with our Mother's Day dinner and for the first time in a long time  I left our weekly Sunday dinner at their house without feeling horrible and over full! #NSV

I have a long day at work today so here's to hoping all the great sleep I am getting gets me through it. Have a great Monday! 

Good Morning everyone, 

Hi @AB_MN, thanks for the shout out! Hope your energy levels start to pick up for you. 

@NoneOtherThanAmy one of the hardest parts of whole 30 for me is was staying off the scale. Especially the first one, and though it has gotten easier It's like the stupid thing calls my name every time I walk past it. This time around the batteries are dead and I have no intention of replacing them till after the 30 days and maybe not even then. I wish my treadmill had the same effect on me.....

@emilyelowe sorry you had a rough day Saturday, but sounds like yesterday made up for it!! My go to order out when I don't feel like cooking is a grilled chicken or shrimp salad from the pizza place in town. They do not add anything to the chicken which is served over a lovely bed of greens. I'm sure you can find something near you. Hoping you get through today!!

@Ashley_119 Hope you made it through the weekend. Social gatherings are tough. Yet another benefit of whole 30 is you will learn how to navigate thru the those waters. Let us know how you did!

As for me, I'm on day 4 and was expecting some carb flu over the weekend but so far so good. Energy is improving  infact I'm having a hard time falling asleep at night because I'm so wide awake - so time to add some exercise for sure. 

Happy Monday All!!!

Hi all.  This is my first check in/intro since starting last Monday.  I'm a sun-loving desert rat, mom of three amazing kids and wife to a great man.  I love being outside in the sun doing anything active, but particularly love biking, yoga and boxing.  Whole30 just came into my realm this past January/February.  I read It Starts with Food first and was immediately hooked!  LOVE the science behind all of this and could see immediately how this could benefit me, my husband and my son.  We eat well anyway, but the complete elimination of sugar, additives, etc, pushed me into it.  As a family, we just finished a 3 week veggie/fruit/nut palooza and my hubby, teenage daughter and I are heading into Whole30 feeling ready.  

My main goal is to tame the afternoon Sugar Dragon and improve my being all around.  Like I said, we eat well/whole/from scratch at our meals, but I do have a wicked craving for something sweet and naughty every afternoon.  It seems I turn into a zombie, realize what is happening, and dive head first into any secret stash I have hidden for my enjoyment!  My zombie motto is "If I eat the whole thing/all of it right now, it can't tempt me tomorrow!" and--poof!--it's gone.  :ph34r:

This past week I felt well until Saturday when I could tell my fuse was a bit short.  I recognized it, acknowledged it and just went thru it with awareness.  One thing I've noticed is that I have SO MUCH energy coming to me in the evenings, that my bedtime has been pushed back to the insane time of 1-1:30 AM!!!  While I am a night owl, I am not an "early am night owl", so I wonder what's going on.  May have some adrenal stuff going on that this is uncovering?  Thoughts?

I love the Whole30 Daily message in my inbox every morning.  Yesterday's (Day 7) was particularly helpful--reflective on the bumps and bruises and learning curves of the first week, and settling in to renew commitments and smooth things out this week.  I love it.  I can't even cheat a little or off the wagon I go!  And that's difficult when I can resist everything but temptation!!:lol:

I've noticed that my "auto pilot"/zombie self has been demoted to co-pilot or cargo holder, and does NOT like that my conscious/determined self is now flying the plane.  I'll get those afternoon cravings and stop to ask if I'm hungry, why I would be wanting something, what do I need to do for myself instead, and the "auto pilot" does NOT like all those questions and then not getting the naughty treat at the end.  But so far, I'm still flying in my new direction. 

Anyone have an awesome recipe for homemade horseradish?

Cheers!

On 5/2/2017 at 3:45 PM, jokane said:

Hi,

I'm not new to Whole30, in fact it is helping me heal so many old issues in my body I love it and eat Whole30-ish most of the time now!  I've been a bit too heavy on "ish" side of things lately so plan on starting a formal Whole30 on May 8th.  I'm wondering if anyone would like to join me and buddy up as support for each other?  I'm 53, female, live in Colorado.  I'm thinking a daily sort of check in email, or posting here on the forum.  Let me know if you're interested.  Thanks!  Janice

My husband and I started on the 10th but would love a buddy for support!

Welcome @Steph the Desert Rat! I just had to share my appreciation for what you said below about the Sugar Dragon Zombie - I'm the same way and have the same motto! Thank goodness we're in this together!

My main goal is to tame the afternoon Sugar Dragon and improve my being all around.  Like I said, we eat well/whole/from scratch at our meals, but I do have a wicked craving for something sweet and naughty every afternoon.  It seems I turn into a zombie, realize what is happening, and dive head first into any secret stash I have hidden for my enjoyment!  My zombie motto is "If I eat the whole thing/all of it right now, it can't tempt me tomorrow!" and--poof!--it's gone.  :ph34r:

I was a little nervous about this weekend, but I made it through rather easily! I was so proud of myself! @SugarcubeOD I really took your words to heart that those foods will be at the next family gathering, so if I can have them then if I decide to. Thank you for the encouraging words!! The first significant difference I have noticed so far is the amount of energy I have had in the past few days. Having the energy to do housework, host a family cookout and still feel like washing my car afterwards is such a foreign feeling to me!! That is a huge NSV for me! Yesterday was day 8 for me which is the longest I have ever made in on any sort of dietary protocol. Last night I treated myself to a hot, relaxing bubble bath with lavender scents, Epsom salt  and candles. It was wonderful.

Sounds like most people had a pretty good weekend! Glad to hear it. 

I have had a sore throat most of the day and it is making me want to run out and buy some ice cream for the throat soothing properties. :( Will the temptations never end?!?

I was also craving some hot and sour soup, so I made a sort of hot and sour soup for myself using leftover buffalo chicken, chicken broth I made over the weekend, vinegar, more hot sauce, red pepper flakes and some ground cayenne pepper. It's not like the hot and sour soup I'd get at a restaurant, but it's helping calm the cravings for crazy off plan things. I bought some blueberries at the store thinking they'd help soothe my throat a little, and they did, but they were almost unbearably sweet. They didn't even taste like blueberries. :blink: I'm trying to decide if my taste buds have changed in the last week or if it's just blueberry season and I got a very fresh batch. I know raspberries can taste completely different depending on the season, but this was just weird.

Happy Monday everyone, sounds like everyone is doing great! I participated in 2 Spartan obstacle runs this weekend which kept me busy, I did feel lower energy on Saturday and then very hungry during the run, so it was a struggle, but I made it through! I joined friends at an Italian restaurant afterwards and stuck to a healthy veggie salad with oil and vinegar while everyone else had pasta, pizza, and sandwiches, so I was proud of that victory!! I have been having some trouble sleeping but work has been stressing me out, so it could be stress. Hoping things will get better this week.

Still having some cravings, but hoping this new, healthier routine will teach me better, long-lasting habits! I am anxious to lose some weight as well, but haven't gone back on the scale since the beginning since I know we aren't supposed to be fixated on that and it's still too early in the process. Excited to have made it through week one! :)

I struggled with a sore throat during Days 2 and 3 and I have read about "the Whole30 flu," so definitely possible folks symptoms are related to this. Also, at least in Ohio, it's finally starting to feel like spring so the allergies are coming on in full for me! Ugh! I hope you are feeling yourselves soon! I know it is discouraging, but you will recover faster by feeding your body good things! There's an article somewhere on the website I think about cold remedies if you Search for it. One thing I read was that coconut oil is good for a cold/sore throat? Don't remember why, but you better believe I ate it up. 

Day 10 for me and feeling pretty good. Getting up is a bit easier and my performance at the gym today was pretty good - the biggest difference was not feeling hungry near the end of my workout. Whoo hoo! I also made it all the way to my 6 p.m. meeting yesterday without crashing at all! #NSVallovertheplace

We are making a lot of plans during my re-introduction phase and I am feeling strong right now but I know that it is going to be super tricky once it is actually in front of me. I've got a Happy Hour planned on Day 27 and I'll need to eat compliantly on my birthday because I'll be in between re-introduction foods. I'm also going home to my parents the weekend before I re-introduce gluten. One of my major goals this time is to do a true, by-the-book, standard re-introduction. Doing the Slow Roll last time was not good for me - I slow rolled my way into two shamrock-shaped cream-filled donuts. #facepalm I'm really grateful I have this group to help keep me accountable when June rolls around!

Sorry for thinking so far ahead there - it's just what I do!

Also, got in the car today and realized I had forgotten the cauliflower rice to go with my chicken tikka masala. You better believe I turned that car around! Haha!

Have a great day everybody!

@emilyelowe what chicken tikka recipe did you use?  I've googled it and see a few with different substitutions. Would love to know what you did and how it came out. Good for you turning that car around!! 

Amy, would also love to get your buffalo chicken recipe. Hope you are feeling better today.  

Hope you feel better Steph as well. 

Feeling a bit draggy todaymyself, going to get some fresh air and work in the garden for a bit so hopefully it will snap me out of the day 5 foggies. 

Happy Tuesday All!!

@Susabella627 This is the recipe I used: http://www.oliveyouwhole.com/recipes/cuisine/indian/chicken-tikka-masala-recipe-paleo-whole30/. It was WAY easier than I thought it would be. Any recipe I've seen always has like this crazy long list of ingredients but it was mostly just the spices to it was actually super easy. And I didn't buy garam masala - I made it. Apparently, garam masala is just a combination of basically all of the other spices the recipe already calls for. Who knew? Enjoy!

Thanks all, I'm starting to feel better already, or at least my sore throat has almost gone away. I was worried because my roommate has been sick with a very nasty sounding cold since last week sometime. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll manage to get through it without 5+ days of coughing and hacking. I bought some Throat Coat tea that I saw recommended on the forums here and gargled with warm salt water last night. 

@Susabella627 The buffalo chicken is from here: http://www.primallyinspired.com/buffalo-ranch-stuffed-peppers/  I skipped the ranch portion and cooked my chicken in the pressure cooker so that I could get some broth out of it as well. The rest is basically combining ghee and hot sauce until you get the spiciness level you like and putting it on the chicken. I think I needed to put more hot sauce on mine though, I went for a 50/50 ghee to hot sauce ratio and I think I would have liked more spice like the recipe calls for. 

@emilyelowe, we had your chicken tikka masala tonight! Total crowd pleaser, especially with the kids!  Thanks for sharing!

Have has a complete 180 since last night!  Today I have had tons of energy, lightness, and stamina--almost to the point of feeling "buzzed". And I am ready for bed at the ripe old time of 9:00 PM. That NEVER happens!!

Feeling good and on top of things. Perhaps I need to go revisit the Timeline. ;)

Great news, @Steph the Desert Rat

I'm feeling awesome today, also! Happy with gym performance and feel great in my clothes. 

I think I'm going to have to try that buffalo chicken also! I've been so excited about trying new things this time, I'm blowing the grocery budget out of the water - haha :lol: - so it will be good to make something new with ingredients I already have! 

Have a great day everyone! 

Great to hear Steph and Emily are doing so well! I think we're close to the days that the timeline says we're most likely to quit (days 10-11), so it's good to hear some positives!

I'm still not 100%, but my throat isn't killing me anymore and I haven't yet manifested full cold symptoms. I'll cough a little bit if my throat gets dry, but as long as I stay hydrated with water or tea, I'm all good. I even went running yesterday (I'm working on the couch to 5k program) and made it through my scheduled workout, but at a slower pace than normal. Still, I had been working on trying to get through that workout for 2-3 weeks and just finally made it through last Thursday. I thought for sure I'd crash and burn if I tried it while I wasn't feeling 100%. Not so! NSV?!?

I successfully made my first batch of mayo over the weekend and am eating it for lunch in a chicken salad and I have to say I am in love! SO yummy! 

Hi, I was looking at the timeline too and like NoneOtherThanAmy said, days 10-11 are days most likely to quit.  I think it's because the novelty has worn off, the food boredom sets in if you aren't trying good recipes and even though we might be feeling better than first few days, mabye even feeling good compared to before W30 started.  

I doubt I've lost any weight but i know that's not the entire point.  For NSV, I have to say the cravings are gone and I'm using this time to really think about what I used to eat, when and why.   One the sugar dragon is asleep, it's easier to examine eating habits.    Looking back before W30:   I reach for candy when I'm thirsty.   I crave red wine (sugar) when i've not had enough fat or protein in my diet that day ( I think - still figuring this out but being on W30 is only time I don't crave red wine- how weird is that - anyone else notice that?).   I used to like crunchy toast in the morning because it's easy and satisfying (but leaves me hungry about 2 hours later).  I think, too, if I ate a meager lunch then I 'feel' justified eating a carb snack late afternoon so then I didn't eat dinner and then ended up cookies (and milk) before bedtime.  It was a weird cycle.  Now, eating 3 really full meals a day, I don't have the need or desire to snack late afternoon or eat before bed.    If I look at what I consume each day, even if it's the same amount of calories as before, it has to be much better as it's all nutrient dense food (veggies/protein).    

Glad your throat is better NoneOtherThanAmy!  And that Steph your energy has returned.  

Glad you all are feeling better today! I am a little disappointed, I really am struggling today. I was so tired and really had a lot of cravings today. But I have been having trouble sleeping and work has been stressing me out, so that may be the culprit. I am hoping for a better night of sleep tonight and more energy tomorrow. I was really having a hard time getting motivated to do anything today.

The only thing I noticed is since I was in a rush with work today, I may have had a little more fruit where as I usually have more veggies, so I will try to be stricter with my fruit intake tomorrow.  Have a great night everyone!

Skye_9 - hang in there.  I know last time I did W30 I had alot of issues sleeping, especially waking up too early (like 3am or 4am).  It only lasted for awhile and it was the hormones resetting themselves.   Hang in there.  Let us know how it goes next few days.  Also, if you think you are eating too much fruit, you can post a day or two of what you've eaten and the moderators will look at it and give you advice.  It's just an idea.

I made some tuna salad yesterday (compliant mayo, tuna, lemon juice & celery).  It was so good.  I didn't realize how sick of eggs, chicken and beef I was.  My family loved it too.  They are not doing the W30. 

Good morning, May team! :) 

I definitely had some struggles earlier on with energy and motivation so don't worry and just keep at it! Let good enough be good enough. There was one day last week where I don't think I did any actual work at work - and that's so unlike me! I'm sure it will pass.

I just had an EPIC breakfast - scrambled eggs with pork sausage, sautéed sweet potato sticks, banana, almond butter, and pineapple. So delicious! Hoping this awesome breakfast and morning walk kicks off a great Day 12! 

I'm going to a birthday party tonight so please pray for me! 

Have a great day everyone! 

@Skye_9 I hope today is better than yesterday! Stressful work is never fun. :(  Are you eating to the template and making sure you're getting enough fat? I'm still struggling with cravings on and off (especially when I go to the grocery store hungry). I keep hoping they'll fade, but so far they haven't. 

@AB_MN I'm very sick of beef and pork right now. I wandered around the grocery store looking at fish, but couldn't decide. I do have some compliant tuna though. Something like that could be good for lunch. Glad you're working out your cravings. I'm finding that stressful situations and drinking La Croix sparkling water tend to bring up the urge to snack/eat junk. Luckily, with this change in eating habits I seem to be doing well enough that I'm not actually hungry, so if I ignore the cravings they go away. 

Good luck with the birthday party @emilyelowe!  Sounds like the morning was good, so I'm betting you'll finish out the day strong too! :) 

Thanks, @NoneOtherThanAmy! We have a department meeting today, too - so many snacks! So I just keep saying NOT TODAY, SUGAR. :angry:

For those of you struggling with cravings - I'll be honest, I don't think mine have ever totally gone away in all the Whole30s I've done. They fade and become less "regular," (as in, not always RIGHT after lunch or at 2 p.m. on the clock like they used to be) but I DEFINITELY still crave off-plan foods either randomly or due to a trigger like boredom, stress, celebration, or, like we saw just last week, the weekend! I've posted on the forum about this before - asking if those experiencing Food Freedom felt the cravings were actually really gone - but didn't really get a lot of informative responses. So while I definitely think we can all look forward to fewer, less regular cravings, I think it's only realistic to know that we also just have to have coping strategies at the ready whether Whole30'ing or Food Freedoming. I could be wrong, though. I'd love to ear a moderator or someone with more experience's feedback on that idea. Particularly because I think it's very hard to navigate once you're in the Food Freedom stage.

Archived