5/7 Start Date - looking for a buddy

jokane

I did it guys!!! I went through an 8-hour party where people drank like fools and ate like crap without partaking at all.  Thanks for all the messages of support!

i made sure I started my day with a really good breakfast with tons of veggies. Same at lunch - lots of protein and fat. I think that really helped set me up to not be hungry and not have too many temptations. 

I stuck with sparkling water with lime at the party... brought along a grapefruit lacroix to mix things up. I didn't eat anything (just do not trust bar food) so at one point I was getting hungry and having major temptations for dessert but I was able to get over those thoughts quickly. 

Luckily the party was close to home so I had a quick dinner break at home and then kept the party going, all said I lasted 8 hours surrounded by party-goers and stayed compliant the entire time. And I definitely didn't miss out on anything by not drinking or eating crappy food. I did really want some wine by the end but was perfectly content with just water and enjoying everyone's company. 

Homestly im shocked that it was so painless. Proud of myself! And I know I'll feel amazing in the morning and SUPER hydrated so wins all around :)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job @msois!!! That is a huge victory! It's funny how once it's all over, you look back and think, "Huh, that was easier than I thought." When I was at a cookout last week, the cravings didn't start for me until I was starting to get tired so taking a break to get some good food in you was definitely smart. So exciting!

Thanks for all your get well wishes. :) I started feeling better again on Sunday afternoon and today my symptoms are almost all gone. So that makes me happy. I do think I had a slightly less awful version of this virus as compared to others who have had it, but I really could have done without it. :P Some other recent NSVs: I am trying new vegetables or trying new ways of preparing veggies. I successfully made mayo and it's incredible.  I love my meals and love that I'm not hungry and snacking all the time. My resting heart rate is decreasing! It hadn't done that even though I started exercising more regularly a few months ago.

Things that aren't so great: Um...I've spent $200 more than I budgeted for groceries. I've got to do a little better in that department. I'm not hurting for money because of this (I basically replaced my 'eating out' budget with an increased grocery budget), but I'm also not saving any. Guess who has two(!) moves to make in 2017. Yeah, you guessed it, it's me. Having some saved money for the out-of-state move would be awesome. I probably won't be buying any more compliant bacon and will be living on chicken thighs for the rest of the time. ;) 

@msois Way to go!! You rocked that party!

@emilyelowe I hadn't thought about a halfway celebration. I like that idea though! I might have to go buy some handmade soap or a bath bomb and treat myself to a little home spa.

Great idea with the home spa, Amy! 

We are also WAY over on groceries this month. Husband and I had a budget meeting today and are hoping to institute a weekly list making/budget checking/grocery shopping date. Hoping that will help!

We're one day closer to Friday! 

I am having the same problem with overspending  on groceries ....I'm trying to figure out how to budget better going forward. Eating healthy is expensive!

I love Qalo rings @emilyelowe ! That's a great idea for a treat.

Glad you are feeling better @NoneOtherThanAmy! I may have a move coming up eventually and I need to figure out how to start saving. Extra money would definitely help!

On the up side today, all of a sudden, I had a great amount of energy! Got through 2 workouts and still felt like I had a lot of energy! Not sure what I did right but I hope It continues!! :)

• Moderators

There are quite a few budget threads on the forums... even an entire W30 done on a shoestring by our very own @kirkor.

There are definitely more and less expensive ways of doing this program!  For those of you wanting to save, have a google through the forums 'whole30 on a budget' and see what you can find; if I recall correctly there are a number of good tips!

Thanks for the tips @SugarcubeOD! I've looked through the thread by kirkor and I might try to develop a similar way of tracking my meal expenses for the rest of the time. I've realized that my breakfasts with pastured eggs and whole foods compliant bacon were pretty expensive, but it would probably be pretty eye-opening to see all the rest of the expenses laid out in front of me. 

I finally went through and figured out how many days I have left and what my reintroduction schedule will be and realized that the final reintroduction (gluten) will take place the day before I leave for a 6-day work trip. I am highly suspicious that gluten will be something I'll be sensitive to and I'm thinking I might move gluten up in the schedule so that I'll be able to evaluate whether I'll want to avoid it or not before I leave. I was hoping to have more time to do the reintroduction phase so that I could evaluate specific grains (i.e. rice vs. quinoa vs. oats) and different dairy products separately. I'd love to be able to eat mostly whole30 on the trip, but we'll see how it goes. There are several meals provided for us at the conference and they're usually sandwiches or burgers, chips, pasta salad, maybe some fruit and dessert, of course. I might be able to scrape off the gluten and just eat the meat, find some mayo, and maybe they'll have some veggies? 

@NoneOtherThanAmy After my last W30, I tried to eat clean at a conference and, let me tell you, that was a giant fail. Not saying it will be for you, just saying I would suggest really thinking about and having specific expectations laid out for yourself. Saying you'll eat "mostly" W30 may get you in trouble, speaking from an OMGTHERESAMACANDCHEESEBAR experience. :) I don't remember if it's in one of the daily emails or somewhere on the blog, but Melissa and team definitely have some recommendations on how to travel/conference/etc. W30-style, and I believe the first recommendation is expectation setting. 

So happy to hear about your energy @Skye_9! I had a great workout today too. I am feeling so hopeful and definitely seeing changes in my body. 

This week my challenge to myself has been to try to eat more leafy greens. I bought micro greens and arugula at the farmers market but I'm struggling with the salad. I can never seem to make homemade salads that I enjoy. Anybody have any go-to salads they enjoy? Or other recipes to incorporate more leafy greens into your day?

Hello Ladies, 

@msois Kudos to you for "rocking" the party. Your enthusiasm is inspiring and I know I will refer to that post when I find myself in similar situations. 

@emilyelowe I know it might sound strange but I love to crunch on Romaine lettuce leaves  - they really satisfy the urge to crunch and a great way to get extra greens in. In fact my kids love them so much when I clean a head or two it always just disappears before it ever makes it into a salad. My other go to is mixed greens, tomato and avocado, with a slight drizzle of olive oil and balsamic - YUM!

Day 12 for me and I am really feeling good. My whole family has noticed the "pep in my step" and so many of the aches and pains from the medicine and my last reconstruction surgery (which was in January) are just disappearing!! Love this group and am inspired by all of you!!!

Happy Tuesday!!

@emilyelowe I'm a huge salad lover, especially now since I've been on the Whole30. My favorite salads have been the ones that include fresh bell peppers and cucumbers. I've been throwing in some sliced radishes from the farmers market as well and maybe some carrots or onions. With the right amount of protein and fat, they're just perfect. They do take a lot of chewing though, and I always spend nearly an hour eating one at work. I've been ignoring the "eat away from your desk" suggestion, partly because they take so long to eat. I think something I may do is look up and make a whole30 dressing for my salads. I've been going the EVOO and balsamic vinegar route lately, but I'd like to try something a little different.

Thanks for the tips about the conference. I'm starting to think I should pre-commit to a second whole30 to start the Sunday after I get back. :lol: I have a feeling there will be situations in which it will be nearly unavoidable to eat some off plan food, such as if my choices are meat, fat, fruit and grains at one of the meals, there's no way to make a good template meal out of those options. Might just have to suck it up and eat some of the grains (or maybe the fruit would be better than the grains?). If the meals aren't offered as part of the conference, we'll eat out somewhere and usually at a pretty nice place that should have options like steak or chicken with potato and veggies. We'll see how it goes. I'll think about it a little more and do some planning soon.

@Susabella627- glad you are feeling so well and to the point that your family notices.  that's impressive.  I'm sure there's lots of healing going on at the micro level.    

@emilyelowe - salads can also be a "bed" for other stuff like chicken.  Sometimes I fry up a huge amount of spinach and then mix that into an omelet, just to get some veggies in.  it cooks down a ton.  not as good as fresh and I've only done w/spinach (not arugula, etc).  Your sparkling water and journal are so peaceful.  What a neat ritual. 

@NoneOtherThanAmy - bummer on the timing for your upcoming conference. It's still great you did this W30!  There really is no perfect time to do a W30 and introduce as slowly as needed (unless you live in a cave).  We all have social engagements/work functions/etc.  I agree w/Emily that once you go off, it's SO HARD to get back on part-way.   But, maybe you stick to the template, or avoid alcohol or skip breads.  Something.  I didn't know you had a gluten suspicion.  It will be a good test w/reintroductions to find out if you are sensitive.  

I have a 2 all-day work training this week off site.  I didn't even think about lunch until 5 mins before I was leaving this morning.  I had no idea if we'd eat at a cafeteria, be on our own (I could drive home or to a store), or they'd bring it in.  Well, they brought it in.  Only compliant item was water.  LOL.  So, I said I had some phones calls to make and went out to the car and ate the weirdest assortment of compliant food I had grabbed on my way out the door.  Not the tastiest lunch but I didn't go off plan either.   I am starting to feel better energy-wise.  I'm no tiger but I have gone running a few times and it felt great.    I am hoping my acne clears up by end of 30 days but maybe I need to do this longer than a month for current spots to heal.  Not sure on that one.  

I have to 'confess' last night 8:30pm I was just craving something fatty (gross right).  I had some melted coconut butter w/1/2 sweet potato and cinnamon.  I know we aren't supposed to eat after dinner but it was that or scrap it all together.  And then I ate 1/2 a banana in a little bit more c. butter.  It sounds like something Elvis would eat.  Gross.  So, there it is on the table (no pun intended).   But, I'm still "in".  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, AB_MN said:

I have to 'confess' last night 8:30pm I was just craving something fatty (gross right).  I had some melted coconut butter w/1/2 sweet potato and cinnamon.  I know we aren't supposed to eat after dinner but it was that or scrap it all together.  And then I ate 1/2 a banana in a little bit more c. butter.  It sounds like something Elvis would eat.  Gross.  So, there it is on the table (no pun intended).   But, I'm still "in".  

It's possible it's your body telling you it'd like more fat in general. Despite years of being told to eat low-fat, the truth is we actually do need fat in our diets. It's good for brain health, and there are vitamins that are fat soluble vitamins, meaning that your body has to have fat to use them. Be sure you're having a serving or two from the list on the meal template, in addition to whatever you're cooking in, and be sure you're eating enough in general as well. 

I'm honestly not super worried about getting back to whole30 eating after going off plan a bit once I'm back home. I have a feeling my body will let me know when I've strayed too far off the path. I'm actually enjoying this way of eating and I'd prefer to make a lifetime commitment to it, with the understanding that there will be some situations that may call for a few off plan choices. I haven't listed this an NSV yet, but I used to have some GI issues and eating this way has changed that. I'm not eager to go back to feeling like that. I found the 'Ride Your Own Bike' link in Shannon's signature above to be a great resource when thinking about life after my Whole30. :) 

Traveling and eating out will be a bigger challenge. I can see breakfasts might be hard...it's like people expect you to eat dairy, grains and fruit at breakfast. Hopefully I'll have some other options (I'm especially hoping for some vegetables!). Even at lunch and dinner, it's rare that a place will give you meat and then fill the rest of your plate with veggies. It'll be tough and I may come back from the conference feeling like crap, but I'm confident I can get back on track once I can cook my own food again!

@AB_MN We have all been there and your commitment to stick to it is AWESOME! I love the lunch story - I have been known to eat whatever compliant thing I can find in those situations too. Haha! I've also been craving sweets after dinner! Last night I had the craving and even got a date out of the freezer but by the time I was done with the dishes (I set it out to let it thaw enough to bite into it), the really strong craving was gone. So don't forget to also take a "timeout," and doing something else to ride out a craving. It doesn't seem more like that @ShannonM816 is probably right though. I often forget to include fat in my meal outside of cooking fat. Maybe that is why I am also craving sweets/fats! Thanks!

@NoneOtherThanAmy I LOVE your resolve! I always feel that way, too, and then fall off the wagon. :( Can't wait to hear your reintroduction and food freedom story! :wub:

Day 17 and had a rough night's sleep last night, which is odd for me. I had really terrible dreams (I normally don't remember dreams at all) and woke up at 2:30 to poo! (I know this isn't one of the TMIisWelcome forums, but seriously - it was so weird!) Despite all that, I still managed to get to the gym this morning and have a good workout, though I did get hungry before it was over. I wonder if maybe I didn't eat enough/have the right things at dinner last night and that's what threw me off? Anyway, weird start but still feeling pretty good!

Happy Hump Day!

@NoneOtherThanAmy What I found out from past whole 30's is I can pretty much tolerate all the food groups in moderation but the thing that really makes me feel Yuck is processed, artificial, crappy no good for me food. So after whole 30 I was pretty much able to eat the same with with an occasional addition of dairy because the diner wasn't going to whip up coconut oil in my coffee, or use olive oil to cook my eggs etc... I really felt like I could easily eat that way and be very happy and healthy the rest of my life (but then I allowed the Cancer to derail me). You will figure out how to ride your own bike and what works for you and I can tell you are determined to make it happen!!

@AB_MN Way to stay on Plan!! It really is amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it. I agree that you should make sure you are getting in your fat. I know we have been taught to stay away from it but it is so important to stop the cravings and give us that satisfied feeling. That is one of the biggest reasons I add the coconut oil to my coffee... I know I am getting my fat in!!

@emilyelowe That was a weird start to your day..., glad your day has improved! My nights are still weird too... I'm not really able to fall asleep before 12 and I'm up (wide awake) by 6.... I'm not dragging and don't feel tired so I guess it isn't a problem for now. 

Have a great day all!!

Hi all.  Needing to check in and get some feedback.

Day 17 and still going strong.  A few "weird" things I'm noticing and wondering if anyone else has experienced the following:

1.  My BMs are WAY off.  I've always been very regular and clockwork.  Now I feel like I'm "cleaning out" ALL DAY LONG.  It's the weirdest thing EVER.  I eat well, exercise regularly, drink tons of water, and am still doing Whole30 100%.  I can't figure out why I'd ben having digestive/bowel issues at this stage of the game, when I've always been so systematic.  There's been a few days of awful gas bubbles and stomach churning...what the heck?

2.  I'm finding I'm not very hungry, but still eating.  And when I eat, I feel like I'm eating too much.  I almost fear I have GAINED weight.  I do plenty of protein/greens/fats, so I'm feeling a bit confused with my body signals.  It did feel like the first two weeks went smoothly--I'm wondering if I'm a "late bloomer" and in this 2-3 week stretch, things are starting to tumble around and get weird on me.  Thoughts, or am I crazy? ;)

3.  I still don't have any Tiger Blood energy like I did that ONE DAY, a week ago.  Things are pretty consistent, but nothing earth-shattering.  I've always slept well and had vivid dreams, so sleep is good.  I feel like foods and water are great.  I've been re-reading Melissa's "Help Me Find My Tiger's Blood" for some reassurance.

4.  Lastly, I'm due to end the W30 on the day we leave for a family reunion campout.  Nice timing, eh?  My SIL has done Whole 30 and said she'd be prepping compliant food to share.  I've seen the hard-boiled eggs/olives/precooked chicken/cut veggies, etc suggestions for traveling.  Anyone have any fun ideas for camping with Whole 30?  I'm thinking I'll just continue into a W45-W60 this summer and see if I can improve upon what has already happened (or not happened, as the case may be), and reintroduce other foods later this summer.  

Cheers everyone!  Thanks for being here. :)

Thanks @Susabella627! It's encouraging to hear that you made it to food freedom until a major stressor came along and derailed things. I know I'll slip up here and there, but I'm happy to see that the article on riding your own bike says that bad habits WILL creep back in and that you can get back on track pretty easily from those things. I might require 3 or 4 full Whole30s before I get it all figured out, but that's OK. I'll learn something each time. :) 

@emilyelowe I'd love to keep up with your food freedom story too! It would be great to keep up with this group after we're done with the program. The one day I had the weird food dream, I think I didn't eat enough the night before, but I don't know if that's necessarily true for everyone. That sounds like such a weird night though, hope last night went better.

@Steph the Desert Rat Are you eating more of something this week that could be an issue for you? I've seen that nuts and nut butters can be particularly hard on the digestive system and things like high FODMAP foods could cause issues for some. If you'd like, you can head over to the 'Troubleshooting Your Whole30' forum, list out your symptoms and your last few days of food intake and the mods can give some feedback on things that might be troublesome. As for your 2nd point, are you eating just until you feel full? I know part of the point of the program is to get us to listen to the hungry/full signals from our bodies, but we also shouldn't be skipping meals if we're not hungry. I'm not sure what the answer is there. I have a feeling my tiger blood is as good as it's going to get right now. I'm not jumping around with boundless extra energy, but I feel better than I ever have, so I'll take it. :) Camping sound like so much fun! Can you make kebabs over a campfire? I love grilled kebobs with grape tomatoes (and I'm not much of a tomato person), red onions, bell peppers, and meat. I think you can make baked potatoes in a campfire as well, but it needs to be in the coals.

Happy Thursday everyone! 

Exciting news, guys! I mis-counted and am actually one day further along than I thought! Haha! Happy Day 19 to me!

Still had another weird sleeping night, but we have a lot going on at home right now, too, and I just switched up my gym routine so hoping to ride it out and hoping it will fix itself. Kind of like you, @Susabella627, I'm waking up to pee in the middle of the night and I feel like I could just get up! I think part of the issue is that something is waking me up - bathroom, sound, etc - and I transition from sleepy to alert so much faster that it feels like I should just get up but I haven't gotten enough sleep. It might be the seasonal transition, too, since it's light out so much later but I still want to get up early (when it's dark). Circadian rhythm fail. :( I am just normally a really good sleeper, so I hope I work this out soon. 

@Steph the Desert Rat My mom had a very similar experience! Her BMs were always super regular and she was REALLY bothered when she was still off the rails at this point in her Whole30. She actually gave up on Day 21 :( (don't do that!) so I can't say how long it takes to get better, but since this is your first W30, I would definitely ride it out until the end and see. I was a super "slow bloomer," on my first THREE Whole30s. Even on the third, I didn't get Tiger Blood until like Day 26. I don't know if I ever experienced it in the first two. So your body may just need more time to work itself out. I've never had a regular BM schedule, so I don't have a lot of advice to speak from personally. But I definitely don't think you're the only one experiencing these issues. On your second thing, what, specifically, makes you feel like you're eating too much - your eyes, or your stomach?

Other bummer: I think dates are giving me gas, which is probably God's way of telling me that I am not following the spirit of the program when I indulge in dates and almond butter while claiming I am "getting my fat serving," so... those are probably going to have to go. Funny how that works. Haha.  Had a gay old time with my halfway through Whole30 prizes yesterday - I got a bathing suit for only $12! Victory! Happy Thursday everyone!

Oh! @cristinamt I'm sorry I didn't answer you about the hint water. I've only had peach (Day 1) and strawberry kiwi (the other day) and I liked the strawberry kiwi but that might not be peach's fault. Haha. 

Also, put on a pair of pants today that fit better than the day I bought them. #NSV

@Steph the Desert Rat I cannot speak from personal experience because Whole 30 is helpful to me in the GI department but I second Amy's advice re: the thread and maybe there is a food you are eating triggering this response. I know the increase in fiber alone from all the veggies can put your GI tract into overtime. As to the not feeling hungry - this is a big problem for me. I can easily be satisfied during whole 30 eating 2  template meals a day but I know that is not recommended and I really have to force myself to get the three meals in. It amazes me because when I derailed and reached for junk food or high carb food I was hungry all the time. It really is amazing how our body really just needs the right foods to be in balance.  And don't focus on the magical "tiger blood". I don't think it happens that way for everyone and it may take longer then 30 days. Focus on the things that have improved.... if you really think about it I'm sure you are feeling better now then before you started. I did a quick google search and found this thread for you. Maybe it will give you some ideas :)

Day 14 for me, and I really can't believe how fast this whole 30 is going ... Must be the great company on this thread!! Only thing I'm getting anxious for is to step on the darn scale, thankfully batteries are dead and I didn't buy replacements yet. I can tell clothes are fitting better and I have no bloating. 

Happy Thursday Everyone!!

Archived