Last minute Biz Trip to Lakeland, FL

Mads

I found out today that I am going to be attending my organizations regional conference and we leave on Thursday morning. I'm really worried about what options I will have for food. I already told the guy doing the travel logistics that I'm eating a Gluten-free diet, but I know that won't spare me from added sugars or hidden soy/corn products. But I won't give up! I'm on Day 8 of my W30, feel fantastic, and REFUSE to quit now!

I will have access to a mini fridge, so I plan on bringing some boiled eggs, a smoothie, kale chips, fruit and almond butter. I'm also going to pack my own lunch for the car ride to the conference. Are there any suggestions for road food or snack options in case the hotel-provided meals won't do?

Does anybody here know of any restaurants in Downtown Lakeland that serve a fairly quick, W30-friendly lunch? I'm finding very few places near my hotel that offer gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-sugar options, so if anyone can help me figure out a game plan, I'd be very grateful.

I find tins of tuna and sardines and avocadoes are easy to pack and throw together for a quick meal. A bag of washed salad leaves can be good if you've got a fridge. You know the small travel bottles you get for decanting toletries into? I carry two of them, one with olive oil and one with balsmic vinegar, then it's easy to dress any salad anywhere. Good luck

There is a Chipotle in Lakeland. I just googled it, so you could try and get some lunch there. Stick to salads with dry grilled protein if you eat out, and ask for avocado as a fat source. Canned salmon from Trader Joe's is really good plain, and it comes in a pop-top so you don't need a can opener. Apples travel well.

So everything was going awesome at this conference until today. I'd been eating all Whole30-compliant meals at restaurants: blackened catfish, pecan-crusted trout, salads without dressing, kale chips, boiled eggs, and coconut milk smoothies. When everyone around me was eating bread, drinking coffee drinks, eating cheesecake, and chowing down on cheesey stuff, I stuck to my guns!

But today at the conference, I didn't have any choice about lunch or dinner (conference banquets) -- I'm pretty sure the salad dressing had sugar, the only available protein at lunch was processed deli meat, I couldn't eat half of the dinner (mashed potatoes) so I had to go out and buy pre-cooked chicken breast (with maltodextrin :angry:) to eat afterward.

I know I didn't really stick to Whole30 today. Is this one of those times when I say "imperfect Whole30 is better than none?" I feel like I did the best I could under the circumstances -- can I get some validation that in the grand scheme of things, I'm still on track?

Keep going! How do you feel? Don't beat yourself or stress out about this. You said you felt fantastic on day 8 of your Whole30 - which is great! Maybe you'll have to start your 30 days over for your gut to fully reap the benefits of complete abstinence from any potential irritants - but your mind, your energy, and how you feel is all very important, too. And you felt great after just 8 days! So keep going. I finished a Whole30 this past summer. I'm about to wrap up my 2nd Whole30 in a few days. What I've really learned since my first Whole30 is that while the Whole30 is an excellent tool to get on track and see some dramatic results - these changes are for your whole life. This isn't just about these 30 days, this is a new lifestyle - and life throws you curve balls all. the. time. So you just dealt with a pretty big curve ball - and it sounds like you handled it pretty darn well! I'm sure a moderator will weigh in on this. I just wanted to commend you for sticking to the plan as best you could instead of saying, "wth!" and diving into the nearest cheesecake ...

So you just dealt with a pretty big curve ball - and it sounds like you handled it pretty darn well! I'm sure a moderator will weigh in on this. I just wanted to commend you for sticking to the plan as best you could instead of saying, "wth!" and diving into the nearest cheesecake ...

It's funny thinking about the cheesecake. At the banquet, there were two choices of dessert: cheesecake and 3-layer chocolate cake. And they sitting at our tables for the whole meal -- one slice at each place setting. I didn't even have an opportunity to say, "No dessert for me, thank you!" I managed to sit in front of the bread basket and a slice of strawberry cheesecake for an hour and a half, watching all my coworkers enjoy, without taking even the tiniest taste. It was definitely my biggest act of willpower since I started.

And looking back on it now, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed the cake that much. The layer cake was probably from a mix and overly sweet, the cheesecake was all dried out on top, and both of them would have left me feeling "icky" afterwards. I was definitely better off with my paleo meal!

Archived