When and how can I start trying to lose weight?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

4 months post partum.  Little man is breastfed exclusively (via boob and bottle).  I put on about 27-30 lbs during pregnancy and within 2 weeks of delivery ~20 were gone.  Over the next 6 weeks I got back down to within about 6 of pre-preggo weight and have been there for the last 2 months.  I was on bedrest for close to a month though due to a traumatic delivery so I suspect that the amount of fat is higher than the # suggests since I must have lost muscle.  It has only been the last 2 weeks or so that I've been able to do what I would even consider "work outs".  I've been walking pretty regular since 2 months PP but there was too much pain/weakness to do anything else.  

I spent 24 hours away from babe once and the amount he took via bottle was pretty much the same as I pumped so I'm nervous about a supply drop since I don't seem to have an oversupply.  

Is it too soon to start thinking about this?  Should I just keep rockin' the elastic waist bands and sighing at the pictures that show my pooch hanging over my old pants?  

If it isn't too soon - how should I go about trying to lean up a bit while still giving my body what it needs to feed a baby that is on track to nearly triple birthweight in 6 months... :blink:

• Moderators

Hey littleg :)

This may not be the answer you like, but you know that we're not going to suggest ways to hack the Whole30 to lose weight.  Your body has been through a traumatic event, so you need to eat good, whole foods, move as you can and not stress about the 6 pounds that are remaining on your body from having a baby... and honestly, I bet you that you do lean up but if for some reason, those 6 pounds don't ever come off, just consider them a gift that came with the baby! :)

I never asked for ways to hack the whole30... I was asking moms how they went about trying to get back to a physique that made them happy after having a baby :)  

I am so sorry you experienced a traumatic delivery. That is devastating. I am glad you and baby are ok!

Is this your first baby? After my first, I became frantic with frustration trying to lose weight. I felt like it would never come off. Then, like magic, around 9 months postpartum, those last 10 pounds just fell off.  Breastfeeding really does help with weight loss but it doesn't happen right away. 

After my second, I never quite got back down to my happy weight, but then I got pregnant again when he was 15 months old and now my youngest is 8 months old and I am trying, once again, to be patient with the weight loss. I started crossfit 2.5 months ago and have seen incredible changes in my arms and legs but still have that discouraging "mom butt" and my tummy is... well, I've had 3 kids, so you can imagine.

I keep trying to start a whole30 but can't seem to keep motivated past a day or two. It is very frustrating. Hoping this forum provides the support and push I need to stick with it!

• Moderators
8 hours ago, littleg said:

I never asked for ways to hack the whole30... I was asking moms how they went about trying to get back to a physique that made them happy after having a baby :)  

Oh, sorry!  I was quite surprised that you would be asking for hacks...I guess I read it wrong... my apologies!

I still stand by that for the time being, that 6 pounds might be better considered a gift than a curse, especially given the trying time you've had with conception, delivery etc... You're doing awesome!

@SugarcubeOD Its ok!  I was more wondering about experiences with trying to lose weight (like, it doesn't, until little one weans), supply issues related to eating... things like that.  And for the record - the number on the scale doesn't bother me. Its the shape of my body right now... I think it might be time to just buy some clothes that do fit well and wait until the monster decides he is done with boob juice :) I'm doing a W30 right now with my family so maybe that will slim out my middle * a little * and I'll just be thankful I've got friends who sell LuLaRoe clothes!

17 hours ago, KTH1010 said:

I keep trying to start a whole30 but can't seem to keep motivated past a day or two. It is very frustrating. Hoping this forum provides the support and push I need to stick with it!

It sure can!  Are you posting in a log yet or one of the threads where a group of people with a similar start date post to support each other?  If you can stick with crossfit you can stick with W30 ;)  Not quitting in the middle of a WOD is a lot tougher than black coffee!

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't uncommon for breastfeeding mother's to hold onto 5-10 of body fat while breastfeeding. It's your body's way of ensuring you're able to nourish your child. I'm also a BFing mom and 10 months POO. Those 5 lbs are holding strong. Don't stress about the weight. It'll come off when you're body's ready for it to.

1 hour ago, Hashtagmomlife said:

It isn't uncommon for breastfeeding mother's to hold onto 5-10 of body fat while breastfeeding. It's your body's way of ensuring you're able to nourish your child. I'm also a BFing mom and 10 months POO. Those 5 lbs are holding strong. Don't stress about the weight. It'll come off when you're body's ready for it to.

Oh my goodness... not Poo lol Post Partum. 

breastfeeding frequently aids in weight reduction, however no longer for each person. It will absolutely aid lose plenty of weight within the first four-6 weeks, however a few females wrestle wasting the final 10 lbs or so even as breastfeeding.

Mummy magic tea is good home remedy to lose baby weight without hurting breast milk supply!

Archived