Anyone suffer from EPI?

Hi there.  I have Type 1 diabetes, and suffering quite a lot with gas, bloating, and other embarrassing symptoms. I have had these symptoms for a few yrs and my PCP checked for gasrtoparesis which thankfully I do not have. But I then started looking more into what could be causing this awful pain and discomfort, and I came across Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI). Anyone know about this?  I have an apppointment set up with my doctor for next week. Meanwhile, I am staying true to The Whole 30 but now also taking Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics....

• 5 weeks later...

You might also want to get tested for SIBO- (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)-exact same symptoms. The test is a breath test that your PCP has to order. You do it at home, send it in to the lab, and then the results will indicate whether you have bacteria in the wrong place. 

I mention this because I had the same symptoms, and my PCP suspected either SIBO or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. The SIBO test was something she could order, but the EPI test was something I had to drive 8 hours away to get. Rather than drive the 8 hours, we started by testing for SIBO, and  I was positive for it, so that's what we're treating. But EPI is treated with simple digestive enzymes, and those are also useful for SIBO and other digestive issues, so I take those as well now, on the advice of my PCP.

Good luck!

Archived