Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ErikaA said:

@KelliW According to the book, if you go off plan you are supposed to start over.  That being said, I am wondering if you really "went off plan".  According to the rules "Nearly all forms of vinegar, including white, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. (The only exception is malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.)".   

Nearly all are allowed 'AS LONG AS' they've got compliant ingredients... added sulfites/sulphites and sugar would render any packaged product non compliant.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ErikaA said:

Good morning,

I hope everyone is having a good start to their Friday. 

I woke up with lots of energy this morning - I typically have always struggled to wake up in the mornings, constantly hitting the snooze button, but today, I managed to wake up right as my alarm started going off, which is a big win for me!  For breakfast this morning, I had my typical egg bake, with a piece of canteloupe and, per the tips by @ArtFossil, to switch up my fat intake, I tried adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my coffee along with a bit of coconut milk and it was DELICIOUS!  I have always drank my coffee black, but this may be a game changer for me!

I hope everyone else is feeling good.  Wishing you all a great day!

I'm going to have to try the coconut oil. This black coffee is for the birds. I miss my cream and don't like almond milk in it. 

The vinegar I've been using doesn't have sugar!  It's the agin process using the grapes.  I am so happy!!!!  I don't have to start over!!  

I ended up giving up coffee for the 30 days. I couldn't handle the coconut oil.  I hope it works for you!  Someone also suggested nutpods. I'm sure you can find it if you search coffee on the forums. 

(Yes despite being done I'm hanging out in ya'll thread because my support thread ended up with no people in it by the end and that sucked! So I'm going to stay with ya'lls! And let you know YOU CAN MAKE IT!) 

<3 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, KelliW said:

I'm going to have to try the coconut oil. This black coffee is for the birds. I miss my cream and don't like almond milk in it. 

If you try the coconut oil in your coffee, it's best to blend it in a blender or with an immersion blender. If you try to just stir it in, it'll end up sitting on top of the coffee like an oil slick, which isn't very appealing.

When you use almond milk or coconut milk in coffee, it seems to take more of it than it would of milk or cream or coffee mate, so you might try that, or even a mix of almond or coconut milk with some coconut oil, blended.

It definitely takes some getting used to. I couldn't stand it at first and gave up coffee completely a few days into my first Whole30, but after that I started playing with different options to see if I could get used to it. Cold brewed coffee helps, higher quality coffee helps. 

Well I'm almost through day 5. Today was good but I was up late cooking my lunch, and I had to go to the cafeteria for lunch. Thankfully the hospital cafe is amazing and they had grilled chicken greats and fresh steamed veggies. <3 

i realized I was not fully prepared for my work days as I thought I was, so next week will be better. 

My breakfast was so good! I did the Diner Breakfast. I never liked sweet potatoes at restaurants but the fresh homemade kind are delicious! 

We didn't do a ton of cooking before this so I'm really excited at my budding skills and all of the yummy things we are trying. Food really is a whole new experience if you can find ingredients and recipes that work for you. 

How did the rest of your fridays go?

TodayThanks Erika for the coffee tip.  May give it a try as I've been using the almond milk.  Dreamed last night I was eating ice cream.  Crazy brain!  My breakfast was leftover meatballs, spaghetti squash with ghee, banana and my coffee with almond milk.  Husband thinks I've lost it!  Haven't decided about the other meals.  I have leftover chicken and may make some butternut squash soup.  Morning started slow but after breakfast I made my 2.5 mile walk and am feeling pretty good.  

Has everyone got their plan in place for the weekend?  That's when I tend to go overboard with the junk.  Hang tough.

The butternut squash soup is delicious.  I used the frozen squash so didn't have to deal with the peeling and chopping so it went together pretty quick.  Leftover grilled coconut curry chicken, roasted potatoes (yum) and green beans.  Getting tired of chicken so thinking about scallops or shrimp tomorrow.  Lots of good recipes in the book.  I've made a list of the ones I especially want to try.

I stayed on plan today although it was hard at dinner  because my kids had pizza.  

I went to the grocery store yet again today and found ghee (I was nervous about making it), coconut aminos, compliant bacon and sausage.  I'm excited to make these for a varied breakfast.

I really don't like to cook unless I have the time, so it's been an adjustment for me.  With a job and three busy kids, it's hard to have time for the cooking.  I am making sure there are items in the fridge that I can grab for a quick lunch/dinner.  I am planning to do more cooking tomorrow to get set for the busy week.  

This might be TMI - but again I have problems with food going through me after I eat.  I had my gallbladder taken out in March, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem.  I'm not sure how to handle that right now.  I also get bloated and uncomfortable.  Today I tried taking probiotics, but that did nothing.  Very frustrating because I need to make sure I'm near a bathroom.

My plan for the weekend:  Sunday is my nieces confirmation luncheon, so I am bringing a W30 egg bake and tomorrow I will be making one of the recipes I found in the W30 book. I'll have time to try new things so I can vary my meals.  

I'll have to try the coconut curried chicken.  That sounds delicious!

Day 5 - done!

@KelliW nice work staying strong while your family had pizza, I do think it helps having meals prepped in the fridge. I hope your stomach feels better soon, I can imagine that would be very frustrating. 

@pilatesfan my plan for the weekend is to try and be proactive and have stuff ready to cook so if I do get hungry it will be less tempting to grab something unhealthy, I'm also going to try to keep busy with different errands and such to avoid wanting to eat out of boredom 

@CaLorraine that is nice that your cafeteria has healthy options - that would definitely be useful on days where you don't have time to prep all of the meals you need!

@Lea Mint I think it's great you are sticking around! Congrats on finishing the 30 days. 

For dinner tonight, we had salmon topped with an avocado/lime/jalapeño dressing/mix on top with salad. After dinner we took our dogs for a quick bike ride - I really think having something to do after supper helps to manage/prevent the sweet cravings after dinner, which seem to be lessening a bit each day!

Hope everyone has a nice evening. 

Good morning, welcome to the weekend!  This is the first time I do not have an activity scheduled on a Sunday which involves a party and cake.  In the last month I tried to start Whole30 knowing I would not make it past day 6 but I am so excited to make it through the weekend and see what Monday brings (an easy thing to write on a Saturday morning - ha).  

Doing the Whole30 seriously this time with the intention of making it the whole 30 days has made me realize a few things.  The most important of which is that I do not sit down to eat my meals.  I usually make something and then fly out the door eating in my car to save time (with the exception of dinner which we eat as a family).  Next week my goal is to make time for myself to sit down and eat unrushed.  I am also in the habit of eating 5 times a day - 3 light meals and 2 snacks.  It is usually the time between lunch and dinner which is my undoing.  I am conquering this as yesterday I ate 3 meals and didn't feel hungry or that I must have junk to get me through the day.

Thanks so much for the coffee tip - I am enjoying coconut milk in my coffee! .  All of the meals you have been posting about sound amazing!  This weekend I am going to do some serious meal prep to have a tastier week.  

Stay strong! 

My charlie horse cramps began on Tuesday night.  So bad they woke me up out of a sound sleep and my calves are still sore.  I started to drink more water.  No problem the last two nights.  

Breakfast this morning was two eggs fried in ghee over a bed of cauliflower rice and butternut squash soup.  I almost didn't mind my husband eating SIX  biscuits buttered with homemade peach preserves!  I'm going to finish up the chicken meatballs and spaghetti squash for lunch.  Dinner will be scallops with blueberry sauce but haven't decided on the vegetables yet.

Thankfully I am retired, have time to cook and like to cook.  You working folks hang in there.  You can do it!

7 hours ago, CaLorraine said:

So last night I kept getting charlie horse cramps in my calf muscles. Any insight on that? Are there any specific foods that would help combat that? This is new territory for me.

I was having cramps in my feet and calves as well and agree with @pilatesfan that I was able to get rid of them by drinking more water. I think high potassium foods are supposed to help too, but I could be wrong...

This Saturday has started off pretty well. My husband and I woke up quite early so I ate breakfast (sausage, sweet potato, salad, tomatoes, strawberries, and an egg with the coconut oil coffee again). We then took our dogs for a bike ride and after getting back I headed to the grocery store to stock up for the week. Since then we ran some errands, had lunch (salad with steak in an olive oil based dressing that I made), and got a work out in. I was hungry after the workout so I finished the sausage, from my breakfast that I couldn't eat, with some avocado and veggies. I knew that to stick with it today I would need to keep myself busy, so that's what I've been trying to do. Tonight, we are going to have a chicken stir fry for dinner

16 hours ago, CaLorraine said:

What do you do when you want to "eat all of the things"? I hide in bed and read or just go to sleep. This will get easier? Won't it? 

I know when I'm having cravings at night I try to go to bed a bit earlier. I have also found that having peppermint tea helps. I think you will find that it gets easier. You're nearly a week in and doing great. This is definitely the tough part, but we'll get through it and be so glad that we did!!

Oh my gosh, I am in the grocery store and it is like manufacturers are trying to kill us with all this added sugar and chemical. Gross. 

Rant over, thanks Whole30 for teaching me better. I'm proud of my cart. 

I forgot my protein at home! :'( I guess I wasn't paying as close attention because I brought everything else to work, including the sides for the protein, just not the protein. What do I do? Will this really screw me up? I'm getting hungry too :'(  I have a mixed salad with olives, carrots and cucumbers and Italian vinaigrette, asparagus, a handful of extra olives and a serving of strawberries. No protein. I'm kicking myself. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CaLorraine said:

I forgot my protein at home! :'( I guess I wasn't paying as close attention because I brought everything else to work, including the sides for the protein, just not the protein. What do I do? Will this really screw me up? I'm getting hungry too :'(  I have a mixed salad with olives, carrots and cucumbers and Italian vinaigrette, asparagus, a handful of extra olives and a serving of strawberries. No protein. I'm kicking myself. 

It won't 'mess you up' persay but you're gonna be hungry by dinner... Eat all the fat for sure!

• Moderators
On 5/19/2017 at 9:19 PM, KelliW said:

This might be TMI - but again I have problems with food going through me after I eat.  I had my gallbladder taken out in March, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem.  I'm not sure how to handle that right now.  I also get bloated and uncomfortable.  Today I tried taking probiotics, but that did nothing.  Very frustrating because I need to make sure I'm near a bathroom.

Some people who have had their gallbladder removed have trouble with fats, or at least certain kinds of fats. If you're keeping a food log, you might note when things seem worse and when they seem better and see if you can pin down if there are certain things that make it better or worse. Probiotics are probably not a bad idea, but you're going to have to take them consistently over time to see benefits, and some people have to try a few different brands to find one that really seems to make a difference for them. You might also look for digestive enzymes, which help to break down protein and fat. 

I'd definitely leave out things that are known to cause/exacerbate diarrhea, like coffee and excess nuts/nut butters. You might check out this article and this one, which have some suggestions for what to eat when you're having stomach troubles -- I know that's not exactly what you're going through, but concentrating on the foods mentioned for a few days may help. 

Also, if you're really needing relief, it's okay to take something like Imodium if you need to (assuming there's no medical reason for you to avoid it -- no one here is a doctor, please talk to your doctor if you're not sure about medications or have any other concerns or questions). 

@ShannonM816 Thank you for the information.  I will definitely read up. I didn't eat quite as much oil as I did the past couple of days, so I did feel better.  I will start logging my food so I can find the trigger foods.

@CaLorraine I hope you made it through the day without your protein!

I was busy today and cooked some things I thought I would never ever do.  I made cauliflower rice and spaghetti squash.  I didn't eat them yet, but they are ready to go for the week.  I also made the dump ranch and it is delicious!!

I haven't spent this much time in the kitchen in ages.  I cooked complaint bacon, chicken sausage links and pork sausage.  I'm making it for a complaint egg back tomorrow that I'm taking to brunch and also for the week.  I hope to vary my diet a bit next week.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!  Cold and rainy here, but I was too busy cooking to tell. :)

@KelliW I did make it! I ate the rest of my food and just tried to hold on until I got home. Ate something at some and went to bed. I planned out my meals for next week and made sure to be more detailed so I can not experience that again. :(

Let me know how the cauliflower rice is!! I haven't tried that one yet. You'll like the spaghetti squash. That's yummy!

@CaLorraine glad to hear you were able to make it without your protein. I know for me it definitely helps to really plan ahead. I have stacks of Tupperware in our fridge with my breakfast for the upcoming week and cut up fruit and veggies and a container of the homemade mayo; every night I also fill Tupperware with my lunch for the following day (usually leftovers) - I realize this may not be feasible for some, but it definitely works for me. 

@KelliW I think it's great that you have had the chance to try cooking new foods and experimenting in the kitchen - I think that aspect of the W30 is definitely fun, tiring at times, but fun nonetheless (especially when it's cold outside). Is the dump ranch recipe in the whole 30 book? (I've only read It starts with food)

I hope everyone is having a nice Sunday. It is sunny and warm where I am, so we have been able to spend some time outside yesterday and this morning. I'll admit though, it's been a bit challenging watching others in our area enjoying their back yards with bbqs and cold drinks. I just keep reminding myself how much better I'm going to feel by sticking with it and that there will be more sunny weekends after the 30 days are over!

Hope everyone is having a nice day. 

Archived