Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

@ErikaA - Yes - the Dump Ranch recipe is in the Whole30 cookbook.  I took some to the family get together today and my sis and mom wanted the recipe.  They also wanted the recipe for the Egg Bake! Success!

Today was rough at times though.  There was wine, coffee cake, non-compliant bacon, and lemon cake.  I didn't eat any of it - Not one taste.  In the past I would have had one (or more) of  everything.  

I'm tired tonight, so will head off to bed early.  This coming week is busy, so I need my rest.  Hope you all had a good weekend!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to celebrate my successes this weekend.

My family owns a campground with a fairly decent sized gift shop - I work another job outside of the campground which means I am primarily there on weekends. So a weekend surrounded by easy access to candy, pop and other not so good stuff. Plus we had cupcakes around and 2 graduation open houses. And due to the crazy schedule I watched my brother eat cheese balls from Culver's. 

And not one bad thing entered my mouth!!! Yeah me!!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Went to bed early last night after my cup of mint tea.  For some reason I was hungry.  Today has been better.  Kitchen sink eggs for breakfast.  A little of everything in it.  Salad with chicken and ranch dressing .  Banana and coffee with almond milk for breakfast too.   I tried the shepherd pie recipe for dinner.  Recipe made a lot so I guess I'll be eating it for a couple of days.  I cooked some chicken breast so I would have the broth for soup and make the protein salad with the chicken.  I could not find any broth in my grocery store that didn't contain sugar. It's  amazing to me the things  that contain sugar.  No wonder I have a sugar addiction!

@pilatesfan I couldn't find chicken broth without sugar either!! I was able to find beef and vegetable broths that are compliant, but really struggled to find chicken. I managed to find some chicken bone broth in the frozen section of our grocery store (Safeway) in their gluten free/health foods section.

@ChristinaL congrats on your successes this weekend!!!

@KelliW glad to hear everyone liked your contributions at the brunch. I will need to buy the whole 30 cookbook - so many tasty sounding recipes to try!!

Today was so hard. I struggled, I stayed compliant but my meal 1 and meal 2 were not too the meal template, and I snacked on fruit. I was ready to throw in the towel but my husband cheered me on. We made my favorite meal from earlier this week for dinner since it was so satisfying. That seemed to help. I've also been so very tired. I read in the book that that's to be expected around this time. :-/

we picked up some herbal teas from the store today so I'm going to make myself one and go to bed. 

Day 7 down my friends! 

So happy to be on day 8!  We made it through the weekend - nice job everyone. 

This morning I woke up and started cooking meals.  My kitchen is pretty much to be Whole30 compliant except for a "kids cupboard" which contains all the junk I do not want to eat.  Today is much easier than Day 1.

Hope everyone is well.  

Today was my hard day.  I had a morning meeting that was followed by a catered luncheon.  I did not plan on eating but still had a peek at the food as it was being served.  Needless to say I got myself out of there in a hurry.  Then this afternoon a friend dropped by with homemade brownies.  I told my husband they had to remain in the refrigerator on the porch while watching him devour THREE before getting them out of sight.  Nothing spectacular on the menu today.  Scrambled egg  breakfast with my coffee and almond milk.  A large salad with chicken and ranch dressing and a clementine for lunch.  Shepherd Pie and butternut squash soup for dinner.    I'll have a cup of tea later.  I have to keep telling myself I'm not hungry (I am really not).  For some reason I just feel the urge to munch.  May be the weather as it is either cloudy or raining.  Probably will be an early to bed night!

Good evening!

@pilatesfan  Hope you are feeling better!  I had a hard day also.  I had my breakfast and lunch packed - had tons of food  - to take to work.  About 2:00 I started feeling unwell, like I hit a wall.  I kept thinking, if only I could have some sugar, I would be better.  My co-worker keeps Hershey kisses on his desk.  The only thing that made me stay on plan was the threat of having to start over on Day 1! 

When I got home, most of my family felt the same way.  Needless to say, it was a low-key dinner night.  I ended up using Rosemary flavor olive oil and Italian seasoning and browned the spaghetti squash I made over the weekend.  I heated up the spaghetti sauce I made last week and boy, it was good!  I'm an not a squash person, and I was eating the "noodles" by themselves.  I was so tempted to eat some of their pasta, but I stayed away.  

@Vguck - My kitchen is kind of the same - have certain shelves that are only mine.  I haven't had this much stuff in my fridge in a long time!

Going to bed early here also!  Hope everyone gets through the day!

Hey everyone,

Sorry to hear most of you had a rough day.  It's great you were all able to stick with it - I hope you have a better day tomorrow. 

We had a long weekend here, so I didn't have to work today. Instead spent the day doing some final meal prep for the week and enjoying the sun. My stepson has soccer tomorrow so I made sure everything is cut up so all I have to do tomorrow is throw it in the pan. 

Food today - had some turkey meatloaf with an egg, veggies, and fruit; then leftover stir fry in a coconut curry sauce; and chicken soup for supper (from ISWF). 

Hoping everyone has a good day tomorrow. When you are struggling, remember that it will get better and before we know it the 30 days will be over and we will be so glad that we did it!!

Today started off rough attitude wise but I'm finishing off strong. I seem to be coming out of my cranky slump, which is a relief. 

So today wasn't bad. We tried a new recipe today that I found on Pinterest. It's called one pan lemon basil chicken. I had potatoes and asparagus as veggies and olives for fat. It made a ton of leftovers. I'll have it for lunch tomorrow and a chicken salad as a back up to take to work this weekend. No more forgotten protein. :)

Huge victory just now: I was out and thought I would be home in time to eat my lunch at 11:45.  I didn't get home until 12:30 and had to warm up my lunch.  NORMALLY, when I am this hungry I eat everything in site starting with the kids' snacks.  TODAY, I grabbed a handful of cashews and ate each one slowly while my chili warmed up.  Happy I didn't cave and am enjoying a heaping bowl of chili guilt free.

Menu pretty much the same as yesterday with the exception of some mashed cauliflower for dinner....trying to clean out the refrigerator.  Sipping mint tea now and thinking about an early bedtime.  My brain keeps telling me to munch or graze.  Trying something new tomorrow.  Some spaghetti squash with pesto and maybe some shrimp might be good to change things up.  I have chicken and celery chopped to mix my protein salad.  May serve it in a yellow bell pepper to change up the lettuce.  I've been hungry today and think I may not have had enough fat at lunch and dinner.  Amazes me what a difference it makes.  Hope everyone has had a good day.  

Great Job restraining yourslef @Vguck.  A NSV!

@pilatesfan.  I am trying not to graze now also.  Have a huge glass of water at my desk while I"m sitting here working.  That spaghetti squash and pesto with shrimp sound good.

My co-workers and I went to lunch at a authentic mexican restaurant to celebrate someone leaving the office.  I worried and worried what i was going to eat.  The chips salsa and guac were right in front of me the whole time and all I did was drink my iced tea.  Then I asked the waitress if I could just have some chicken and veggies.  She complied with my request, so I got the fajita chicken and veggies, no beans and no rice.  I used the guac on my chicken and veggies.  It was yummy.  The guac was definitely compliant.  I didn't eat the tortillas either! 

@CaLorraine What is in you chicken salad?

@ErikaA  Thanks for being our cheerleader yesterday!  It definitely helps!

Day 9- Done!

Congrats @Vguck on your victory!!

@KelliW thanks for sharing your restaurant experience - I have family coming to visit in a couple of weeks and I know we will be eating out one of the nights, so I have been worrying about it as well - researching and reading the dining out forums. Staying away from the chips and salsa would definitely be a challenge!!

Finished up day 10 today - a third of the way through! Had leftovers/pre-prepped food for breakfast and lunch, and for supper made skillet fajitas served on top of kale and brussel sprouts with a spicy dressing I made from the homemade mayo. 

I hope everyone has a good evening and a great day tomorrow. 

@KelliW mixed greens, cucumbers, carrots, almonds or cashews depending on what we have, chicken, and olives. I made the Italian vinaigrette for dressing but I'm thinking maybe I'll make the ranch to try. 

Today was good until I found out I'm 12th alternate for the nursing program. So 12 people have to opt out or drop out before I can be official. That bummed me out majorly, I'm very disappointed, so I've had to fight the urge to emotional eat all afternoon/evening. After dinner I snacked on frozen grapes and then decided to eat more protein since I was feeling the need to eat. Tomorrow will be better. 

Ahh the dreams have hit! I had several different dreams last night of breaking my whole30, each one with something totally different and random.  I woke up really concerned that I actually did break it. 

I woke up feeling very refreshed! And awake! Which is awesome! I'm not a morning person, so this is a great feeling. 

Lets buckle down friends, and get through the next few days where statistics say we are most likely to quit. We can do this!!!

Tough night.  Air conditioner not working when I went to bed .  Woke up around midnight hungry and thinking what all I had to do today.  Started some deep breathing exercises knowing that eating was not going to repair the air conditioner.

Added more fat to my meals today and drank extra water.  Scrambled eggs with ghee, avocado and applesauce with my coffee and almond milk for breakfast.  Protein salad with chicken, celery, apple and homemade mayonnaise in a whole yellow bell pepper for lunch.  Salmon, cauliflower and baked sweet potato with ghee for dinner.

Air conditioner has been repaired and yard work done and another good day on whole 30.  Hang tough everyone.  We can do it!

Hey everyone,

Not much to report today, had leftovers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - doesn't bother me though, I don't mind to eat things over and over again (so long as it's something I enjoy).  Work has been really busy and I find it helps to get through the day without thinking about food or needing to snack. 

@CaLorraine That's funny about the dreams! Nice to hear you woke up refreshed!! (NSV!!)

@pilatesfan I've been trying to really make sure I get enough fats too - I agree with your earlier comment that it's amazing the difference it makes!

Has anyone had difficulty falling asleep at night? Before W30, I would go to bed fairly early and fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. But now, seem to be having some difficulty falling asleep (very unusual for me). I'm only drinking a cup of coffee first thing and then water for the rest of the day, so shouldn't be the caffeine. Like CaLorraine, I've been better at waking up in the morning, and I haven't been feeling tired, so I'm not worried, but wondering if anyone is experiencing the same?

HI all!

I didn't post yesterday because I was NOT happy.  Turns out that the coconut milk I was putting in my coffee had some sugar in it.  Then, someone on one of the FB groups posted about peanut oil being in the cashews.  Turns out - so did mine!  I thought I had read the ingredients well enough.  Grrrr....

So - That means I am on Day 1 again    or     Day 10 of W39!    The second one sounds better.

I've been having trouble having the time to cook, so I decided that although all these recipes I see floating around look wonderful, I just don't have the time to make that work. This way of eating has to fit into my schedule (and yes, I must make adjustments for it too).  I won't stick to it unless I make it easier.

I was tired of bringing half my fridge to work for lunch, so I went to Culvers and got 2 hamburger patties, lettuce, tomato and ate that with some veggies I did bring.  Boy - that was good and helped keep me on track.  

@ErikaA I hope you can sleep better!  

One good thing - my pants are already fitting a bit better!  Someone who comes into the office occassionally asked today if I was losing weight!  Wow!  I haven't heard that in a long time.  I think cutting out the sugar has really decreased all the inflammation and bloat that I had.   :)

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, KelliW said:

I was tired of bringing half my fridge to work for lunch, so I went to Culvers and got 2 hamburger patties, lettuce, tomato and ate that with some veggies I did bring.  Boy - that was good and helped keep me on track.  

Hi @KelliW - I'm so sorry but based on the quick googling I did, those burger patties aren't going to have been compliant and will have at least contained soy if not gluten and dairy. Did you ask to see ingredients? And what oil they cook them in? I hope I'm wrong but it's probably worth it to confirm. Soy is a major gut disruptor as is dairy and, of course, gluten. :( 

7 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @KelliW - I'm so sorry but based on the quick googling I did, those burger patties aren't going to have been compliant and will have at least contained soy if not gluten and dairy. Did you ask to see ingredients? And what oil they cook them in? I hope I'm wrong but it's probably worth it to confirm. Soy is a major gut disruptor as is dairy and, of course, gluten. :( 

Well - that will be the last time I listen to my mom about W30! :)

Guess I'll add yet another day so it will be W40.

7 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @KelliW - I'm so sorry but based on the quick googling I did, those burger patties aren't going to have been compliant and will have at least contained soy if not gluten and dairy. Did you ask to see ingredients? And what oil they cook them in? I hope I'm wrong but it's probably worth it to confirm. Soy is a major gut disruptor as is soy and, of course, gluten. :( 

Actually, this was on the Culvers nutrion web site. They list all their foods and the ingredients. I think I'm ok.

"Culver’s Ground Beef Patty, Cooked - 100% Ground Beef, Seasoned with Salt and Pepper."

Archived