Tessemae's Non-Compliant Ingredient Change...?!?

Hi all,

I've included a screenshot of Tessemae's ketchup ingredient list from their website. Left side shows a compliant list. Their graphic on right side, which mirrors the bottle label in my hand, contains a decidedly different list with a non-compliant ingredient. Is the "date syrup" acceptable given it is a part of the puree itself? On the other hand, the date syrup would have been ADDED to the puree.  

I am sooo confused and (potentially) disappointed...

I would love to be re-assured this is, in fact, a compliant condiment.

Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 3.30.59 PM.png

• Moderators

This was an issue a few months ago... After speaking with Melissa, Tessamae's has committed to changing their labelling.  Apparently the recipe never changed but they changed their label for reasons unknown and they're now working on switching it back... that's probaby why it's showing as sold out.

There's some info on this instagram post in the comments that you can read... 

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, HazelSkye said:

Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm concerned over this issue since the labeling hasn't changed in the last six months... doesn't seem right that they haven't changed it back yet if their process never changed. 

I believe that they were going to change it back for products going forward but not changing labels on items they'd already packaged or shipped...

Sorry if I'm being dense, but is the conclusion that this is compliant or not? I believe I have a bottle of Tessemae's Ketchup that does not have date syrup listed. Should I be eating it or not? I think the same questions may apply to the BBQ sauce (which I love)... 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kirbz said:

Sorry if I'm being dense, but is the conclusion that this is compliant or not? I believe I have a bottle of Tessemae's Ketchup that does not have date syrup listed. Should I be eating it or not? I think the same questions may apply to the BBQ sauce (which I love)... 

Ya, they were never 'not compliant'... but definitely if it doesn't list the syrup on yours then they're extra compliant ;)  The deal was that they changed the name of the dates to 'date syrup' which was the problem (syrup of any kind = not allowed) so Melissa spoke to them and they changed their labels back but the actual process and ingredients never changed.  

But if you have a bottle of either before the 'fiasco' or after the labelling change then it shouldn't list the syrup and you're definitely okay.  Does that help?

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
7 minutes ago, Lexy V said:

So  just follow up on this topic, I got an email from tessemae's.. see below. The ingredients still says date syrup though!

Does anyone else know of a decent brand for ketchup and bbq sauces??

Thank you in advance!!

whole30.PNG

What email below? All I see is a screenshot of their offerings?

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, skoutsoulieris said:

Thanks for the thread. I purchased the Tessamae's Matty's Organic BBQ Sauce and the ingredients say "Date Puree" (water, dates, lemon juice) not "Date Syrup". With this description, it looks like the labeling has changed and is compliant. Is my assumption correct?  

Yes, this is fine. 

Archived