Hungry between Meals

Hi guys! Round 2 here! About 21 days in, and still getting hungry, specifically between lunch and dinner which is causing me to snack unexpectedly and get frustrated. Here's my meal log, help!

M1 at around 715 am. About a cup and a half of veggies, 1+ serving of chicken, quarter avocado, and a little mayo (this holds me over until like 12-130)

M2 anywhere from 12-2. Huge salad, 2 cups mixed salad blend (arugula, dark greens, spinach, etc.) half cup of assorted veggies, 1.5 serving meat (typically chicken but whatever leftover), a little mayo and half an avocado. 

Then I'm hungry again at like 3~4 

M3 at about 715 pm, lots of cooked veggies, 1.5 serving of meat, and usually a tbsp of mayo

I drink over 100 oz of water a day

I workout everyday after work, but don't end up having a pre-workout snack because I just snacked in between (ugh!). I don't have a postworkout snack because I eat dinner right after. I typically do HIIT, or strength train. Nothing over 45 Minutes.

• Moderators

Your meals mostly look okay -- you could maybe do more veggies at breakfast, but it sounds like breakfast isn't really the issue.

If it were me, I might try having more substantial vegetables at lunch -- so instead of the half cup of non-leafy-greens, have a full cup, or even try having something other than salad. Salad greens really break down a lot and often don't keep you full. 

It's okay to skip the pre-wo, but I'd really try to get in a post-wo and see if that helps -- it doesn't have to be a lot, just a few bites of some lean protein and starchy vegetable, so just take a container with some chicken or tuna and some mashed sweet potato, and eat that as soon after your workout as you can, and then go home and have dinner. If you're having a starchy vegetable with dinner, you could probably even skip the starchy vegetable in the post-wo and just have some lean protein then. Here's a little more information about the post-wo and why it's important: http://whole9life.com/2015/02/eat-post-workout/

Also, a tablespoon of mayo seems like really not that much, you might try increasing the fat in that meal. 

You don't say what you're having as a snack, but if you need to go more than 4-5 hours between meals, or if you're just truly hungry, it's okay to eat, but try to have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

16 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

If it were me, I might try having more substantial vegetables at lunch -- so instead of the half cup of non-leafy-greens, have a full cup, or even try having something other than salad. Salad greens really break down a lot and often don't keep you full. 

Great idea and feedback! I've prepped my salads already for the week but will add a side of other veggies to that meal and see what happens! 

5 hours ago, rbill said:

I am not! I can try to incorporate those in for dinner

FWIW I eat white or sweet potatoes at least 3 times a week with dinner (sometimes more) and I'm pretty active. I've never felt like I was overeating and they definitely help keep you full. The starchy veggies do wonders for my mood too :) 

Archived