Intestinal issues...day 16

I know the general rule is for things to get worse before they get better. And I know it takes a long time for certain foods to fully leave your system, namely dairy. I'm almost positive I have a dairy sensitivity of some kind. Is it possible that I could still be having issues from having dairy over two weeks ago? Or is my body still balancing out? Should I consider eliminating other foods? I feel like my intestinal issues have gotten worse in the last few days. 

Yup. Me too on Day 14. Very uncomfortable for the better part of the afternoon. A couple of things could've triggered it on my end - a little too much WholeFoods compliant guacamole (OMG - so yummy),  OR the 4 small skinless roasted potatoes I ate from Whole Foods that I KNOW had canola oil on them. Yeah, yeah, I know, insert obligatory eye roll here, but please don't hate - I'm already mad at myself for being unprepared that day. I honestly did not believe that I would experience such a strong reaction as a result of such a minor indulgence!! Everything else I ate that day was familiar. Intestinal disruption finally went away on it's own without any synthetic interventions. Took a while though. Really tough day. 

I have to admit, I am NOT looking forward to the reintroduction phase AT ALL......

@jmcbn prior to my whole30 I frequently had diarrhea or very soft stool. Since starting my whole30, my stool is still very soft, and in the last couple days it has been almost diarrhea with stomach pains. The first day or two I attributed it to my period, but now it seems like more than that. 

6 minutes ago, ldmcniel said:

@jmcbn prior to my whole30 I frequently had diarrhea or very soft stool. Since starting my whole30, my stool is still very soft, and in the last couple days it has been almost diarrhea with stomach pains. The first day or two I attributed it to my period, but now it seems like more than that. 

I'd say it'd be unlikely that it's still dairy working it's way out of your system. I did take a quick look at your log but you haven't really logged food over the past few days although I did see mention of nuts & larabars.... if these are making a regular occurrence then they could very much be the culprit. If not, then what else have you been eating? 

21 hours ago, ldmcniel said:

Why are nuts so difficult to digest?

They contain anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids, but also higher levels of inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids, so the good pretty much outweighs the bad. And if you think back to when our ancestors would have had to break them open to eat them they really would only have been a condiment, rather than eaten by the handful. They also would have been seasonal, eaten only in fall...

The biggie though is that they contain some level of anti-nutrients in the form of phytates which can inhibit the body from producing the enzymes required for digestion.

If you really want to eat nuts you might find it helpful to soak them overnight & then dry them.

Archived