May 22nd Start Date- Who's In??

Caroline22

I've started today as well! I'm so glad there is such a large and supportive group thread here, which has given me courage to post. Typically, I am chronic lurker, even when I'm pretty much anonymous online. 

I've never done a whole30 before, but have been thinking about starting one since around February. I delayed because I put my home on the market and have been dealing with showing, selling, searching, buying and moving! I'm still settling in to my new place, but there is a lot in my life that feels out of control right now, so I thought, "I can absolutely control what I put in my body, so let's get this Whole30 started!"

My main goal is to slay my sugar dragon, which is a real monster. I feel like if I can do that, or get a good start on doing that, everything else (like weight loss) will fall into place. I am also looking forward to seeing if I have any other NSV by cutting out all the other things I may be sensitive to. 

I did a lot of prep over the weekend, but not as much as I would have liked. I did get egg and hash brown cups made for my breakfasts (which I think will be the meal I struggle with the most.) I usually skip breakfast and am 100% not a morning person. I'm not holding my breath, but if Whole30 makes it so I don't hit my snooze for like an hour, that will be a miracle. ;-)

Already missing my sugar shot with my coffee, but I'm slipping my water and I have compliant green tea (which thankfully is enjoyable for me without dairy or sugar) for later if I need a little kick. 

Good luck! Happy, healthy eating to you all. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 here we come!

I still have to stock my fridge, but I do have some veggies left in the fridge that I want to finish first, so I might go shopping tomorrow.  This morning I wake up early, had my regular warm lemon water, breakfast and then I hit the gym. 

Breakfast- 2 scramble eggs (used 1tsp of grass fed butter) with onions and tomatoes and black tea.

Postworkout- 2 small lettuce wrap (lettuce and shredded chicken breast)

Lunch- zoodles with ground turkey and a apple and almonds

Dinner- stirfry veggies (onions, peppers, snap peas) grilled chicken thights

First timer here...overwhelmed by the process, but taking it one day at a time.  Got through breakfast and have my lunch planned for here at work.  I am excited to have a group to collaborate with!  I love all of the ideas for meals.  My goal is to improve sleep and I have a low back pain issue that I think is truly inflammation caused by my diet (namely a sugar addiction).  Excited and nervous, but I am going for it!

Day 1. Not as worried about Day 1 as posting to the forum. Doing this with my hubbie so I do have some support.

I have chronic back pain stemming from scoliosis which is aggravated by my slowly increasing weight. Yes you got it, a vicious cycle. It hurts to move so you don't move. You don't move, you gain weight and it hurts more. It's depressing and that doesn't help. I've gotten to the point where I resent my body. Since I have to live with this body the rest of my life, I think I better work on our relationship!

Woo-hoo I'm so happy that there are so many of us! And boy are all our stories so similar, it makes me smile :)

I think this thread will be a great place to keep ourselves motivated!

My first whole 30 I too embraced the rules but not the suggestions (avoid snacking etc) and as a result I don't think i ever really got rid of my sugar dragon as I kept it very much alive with all the fruit I ate.

Anyone else have a problem with snacking in the evening? I especially struggle when I come home from an exhausting 12 hr shift (shoutout to the other nurses on this thread!) and all my willpower is just shot...

So that being said this whole 30 I will not eat anything after supper except for herbal tea, coffee or water...eeks!

Now excuse me while i go whip up some eggs!

Oh my goodness, for sure, shout out to all the nurses who can't eat/don't get a chance to eat for a 12, 13, 14 hour day.  So crazy.  Hospital life is so unhealthy, as crazy as that may sound.  I get home after not eating all day, have a couple glasses of wine and a bag of Doritos and just try to figure out what I did for the last 12 hours.  It's not just nurses though, I know there's gotta be a lot of super stressful jobs that set you up for stress eating. 

Im going to try meditation. I guess that sounds simplistic, but I need to change my habits.  I need a way to unwind that doesn't involve food and alcohol.  I love love love yoga and I used to run, but haven't done either in a looong time.  I may need to try those things again.  

I almost didn't start today, as I sprained my ankle yesterday and I really wanted to work out on my first day, BUT I decided to just go ahead. There will never be an ideal day to start, and I guess I'll do some yoga and upper body stuff as my workout. Part of wanting to do this is to learn not to be so all-or-nothing with my  food and exercise, so this will be a chance to practice that. 

Breakfast: Just coffee, which is terrible, but I wasn't hungry, and it seems like eating when you're not hungry is counter productive to the program

Lunch: Jicama tacos from the Whole 30 cookbook. Delish!

Dinner: Mushroom and spinach frittata. My SO is out of town until Monday, so a lot of breakfast for dinner will be in the rotation.

Is anyone else planning on treating themselves with some non-food rewards? 

I'm probably planning on spending too much money, but here's what I'm doing: 

Making it 3 days: new bento-style lunch box system by Bentgo (I got an awesome Groupon deal with it so I've already purchased, but don't get to use yet)

2 weeks: Whole30 cookbook

All 30 days: InstaPot!! 

A new Nora Roberts romance/thriller comes out a week from tomorrow, maybe I'll add that as a Week 1 reward. ;-) 

Treating yourself to a massage or something might be nice, or for less money a bubble bath. 

Happy Day 1.  I am about to leave work and heading out to run some errands.  I will be passing the corner market where I have a habit of stopping to get Coke and something sweet.  I am prepared with my ACV water and carrot sticks but just posting on here to make sure I get home "safely". :rolleyes:  I'll post again later to let you know how it went. 

1 hour ago, GayleG said:

Making it 3 days: new bento-style lunch box system by Bentgo (I got an awesome Groupon deal with it so I've already purchased, but don't get to use yet)

A new Nora Roberts romance/thriller comes out a week from tomorrow, maybe I'll add that as a Week 1 reward. ;-) 

Treating yourself to a massage or something might be nice, or for less money a bubble bath. 

I love this idea, and I'll tell you what else has worked for me in the past.... that is giving myself, ah, what should I call them? ... treats or blessings or something UP FRONT. Things I get to do or have that I don't have to earn, because (for me, anyway) that's what food is about anyway.... I feel deprived or undeserving so I "treat" myself with a candy bar. Instead I am learning to love myself and treat myself with... an inexpensive hair band, 10 minutes on a game app, a weekly bouquet of flowers, giving myself a foot massage, an extra half hour sitting in the sun doing nothing.  Rewards are very helpful and appropriate,  but there's also something about getting something "just because I'm worth it" that takes the emotional edge off of food cravings.  

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, CaseyP said:

Happy Day 1.  I am about to leave work and heading out to run some errands.  I will be passing the corner market where I have a habit of stopping to get Coke and something sweet.  I am prepared with my ACV water and carrot sticks but just posting on here to make sure I get home "safely". :rolleyes:  I'll post again later to let you know how it went. 

Good thinking! Keep us posted!

Ill be doing the same when i get home this evening so i dont delve into "whole 30 approved" snacks

9 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

So glad to hear that you are not letting not being fully prepped deter you.  That has always been one of my excuses to not quite start. So I am doing like you since I have not fully been able to do my shopping and prep. Although I do have some meats in the freezer from the last time I tried to start

I hope you did ok today!! I went to Trader Joe's and picked up a ton of veggies and roasted a couple white yams with Rosemary and coconut oil, and steamed a whole head of broccoli and cauliflower and made 2 lb of salsa chicken in the crock pot... planning on making lettuce wraps with them tomorrow and using the veggies for an omelet. Tuna avacado over mixed greens for dinner with a lemon olive oil dressing... pretty simple!  I have some ground turkey to make stuffed peppers Wednesday, I'm so excited to just get going!

5 hours ago, Caroline22 said:

Woo-hoo I'm so happy that there are so many of us! And boy are all our stories so similar, it makes me smile :)

I think this thread will be a great place to keep ourselves motivated!

My first whole 30 I too embraced the rules but not the suggestions (avoid snacking etc) and as a result I don't think i ever really got rid of my sugar dragon as I kept it very much alive with all the fruit I ate.

Anyone else have a problem with snacking in the evening? I especially struggle when I come home from an exhausting 12 hr shift (shoutout to the other nurses on this thread!) and all my willpower is just shot...

So that being said this whole 30 I will not eat anything after supper except for herbal tea, coffee or water...eeks!

Now excuse me while i go whip up some eggs!

I do sometimes, but usually on days I don't eat enough I've noticed. I picked up a few Lara bars today to keep for emergency snacks, they were really good actually! Do you bring a lot of food for a twelve hour day?! I would imagine you should over pack and if your job is physical, you can add a fourth or fifth meal even! 

21 minutes ago, Amyrotella said:

I do sometimes, but usually on days I don't eat enough I've noticed. I picked up a few Lara bars today to keep for emergency snacks, they were really good actually! Do you bring a lot of food for a twelve hour day?! I would imagine you should over pack and if your job is physical, you can add a fourth or fifth meal even! 

Larabars are approved for emergency use only, not for "snacks." (They are basically candy bars.) Anything you can anticipate or plan for--your work schedule, running errands, a sporting event--is not an emergency as its easy to carry a Whole30 meal with you. If your meal doesn't satisfy you for 4-5 hours, you need to eat more, and make sure your meals are composed according to the template of protein, fat and veggies. If you become hungry between meals because your meal's delayed or because of your activity level, etc, eat a "mini meal" of protein plus fat and/or veggies, not a Larabar. 

I can testify that the three template meals a day - no snacking recommendation has huge benefits. Try it!

You can find the meal template here.

1 hour ago, Who-what-squirrel! said:

Hello Everyone! It's my first day and first time with Whole 30. I'm hoping this will help with hypothyroid, ADHD and destroying the Sugar Dragon! 

I am a bit frightened to stop my ADHD medicine. Does anyone here have any experience with that?

Do not stop your ADHD medicine, or any other medication you must take for a medical condition. Keep taking it. If you didn't take it today, take it now. Really. Take your medicine.

2 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Larabars are approved for emergency use only, not for "snacks." (They are basically candy bars.) Anything you can anticipate or plan for--your work schedule, running errands, a sporting event--is not an emergency as its easy to carry a Whole30 meal with you. If your meal doesn't satisfy you for 4-5 hours, you need to eat more, and make sure your meals are composed according to the template of protein, fat and veggies. If you become hungry between meals because your meal's delayed or because of your activity level, etc, eat a "mini meal" of protein plus fat and/or veggies, not a Larabar. 

I can testify that the three template meals a day - no snacking recommendation has huge benefits. Try it!

You can find the meal template here.

I tried my hand at making homemade RX Bars - didn't have the dates on hand and the consistency was a little off but super excited about them. Not bad! (Will definitely try a second batch and follow the directions a little more).  

Would these be considered an emergency meal if not snacking? Not sure they would hold me for very long

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth3645 said:

I tried my hand at making homemade RX Bars - didn't have the dates on hand and the consistency was a little off but super excited about them. Not bad! (Will definitely try a second batch and follow the directions a little more).  

Would these be considered an emergency meal if not snacking? Not sure they would hold me for very long

Rx bars also fall into the emergency use only category. Focus on real food, not products and remember that fruit is recommended occasionally, as part of a meal. There are tons of suggestions in the forums for foods to keep on hand for quick meals. I keep tuna, olives and canned vegetables handy. 

I should definitely reassess how much I pack for my 12 hour shifts. I normally keep it paleo but I think lately I've been filling it up with too much fruit which sends in the sugar dragon for me :rolleyes:

How was everyone's first day??

I had a great day up until about 7pm. Eggs n veggies for breakfast, chicken, broccoli and a few almonds for lunch. Then I went on a hike with my friend and we wound up at a diner for dinner. Think Pop Tates in the Archie Comics (the diner we went to actually is used in Riverdale). Anywho I'm stalling because I don't want to tell anyone..

I ordered a plain 100% beef burger (dry no sauce) with lettuce and tomato. But it came with fries. And I ate them. All of them.They looked like fresh homemade fries with no obvious batter so I caved. But they probably were not. I should have had whole 30 food on me!

So that's my confession...I think ill extend my whole 30 1 day to make up for it.

Now I'm going to brew my herbal tea and ignore the sugar dragon that is sitting on my shoulder..

Hope everyone's day was better!

5 hours ago, Caroline22 said:

I should definitely reassess how much I pack for my 12 hour shifts. I normally keep it paleo but I think lately I've been filling it up with too much fruit which sends in the sugar dragon for me :rolleyes:

How was everyone's first day??

I had a great day up until about 7pm. Eggs n veggies for breakfast, chicken, broccoli and a few almonds for lunch. Then I went on a hike with my friend and we wound up at a diner for dinner. Think Pop Tates in the Archie Comics (the diner we went to actually is used in Riverdale). Anywho I'm stalling because I don't want to tell anyone..

I ordered a plain 100% beef burger (dry no sauce) with lettuce and tomato. But it came with fries. And I ate them. All of them.They looked like fresh homemade fries with no obvious batter so I caved. But they probably were not. I should have had whole 30 food on me!

So that's my confession...I think ill extend my whole 30 1 day to make up for it.

Now I'm going to brew my herbal tea and ignore the sugar dragon that is sitting on my shoulder..

Hope everyone's day was better!

I would probably extend, though potatoes are approved, fries are not if I'm remembering correctly. It's ok! This is a learning process, after all. 

So I finished Day 1, and I'm embarrassed to say that even that feels like a huge success!!! I am definitely already having symptoms of carb withdrawal (I think it's my nightly couple of glasses of wine that really push my normal carb count over the edge!). I couldn't make it through the afternoon yesterday without a nap, and thankfully my schedule just allowed me to take one. And...did anybody else have crazy dreams last night? I remember this from times I have done other cleanses, juice fasts, etc....I get the craziest dreams and nightmares!!!

18 hours ago, GayleG said:

Yes I do do that. It is great to do some type of celebration. A motto that I am working on is: "Forget the losses and make firm the wins". I am also going to think of no $$ celebrations which I will post once I figure them out. By the way love Nora Roberts

How was your first day?

I had the worst headache ever.  It started after I exercise, I don't think it has anything to do with sugar or carbs because I have done no carbs no sugar many times before an had no experience any withdraw up until day 4 or 5.  I did change my exercise routine and did a HITT in the elliptical and I might just over do it. will see how it goes today.  I had some cravings carb/sweets cravings at around 3pm, but that is usually at the time where I normally have something sweet with a cup of coffee and milk.  So instead I just had a black coffee with cinnamon.  I had dinner at 6:45pm and then I brush my teeth to avoid wanting to eat more but I had no cravings at all.

Welcome to day2 -  I wake up feeling very positive,  for breakfast I had potato hash leftover from last week (1tbs of dice potatoes, red and green peppers, and onions) 1 fried egg, some grilled chicken thigh leftover from last night and a banana and black coconut tea.

I just came back from the gym, today I did week 2 day2 of C25K and so far no headache.  For my post workout I had a lettuce wrap (2 lettuce leaves with a some leftover chicken thigh) 

Lunch- same as yesterday, stir-fry veggies and chicken.

Diner- I will update later

I am going to start day 1 over again. I ate something on Sun so I was sick all day yesterday and not completely compliant. It is great being on this feed. Was thinking oh I will just wait until next week and go have breakfast at fast food with a magazine but reading all your posts this morning in the middle of it I turned on the oven, cut up some sweet potato and tossed them in the oven. I am going to make myself some eggs, compliant bacon, sweet potato and asparagus. I still haven't completed a full prep yet because last night I still wasn't feeling well so spent most of the night with soup, chicken bone broth, and in bed. I do feel better today though. 

My biggest challenge besides fast food for breakfast is I take a client out to lunch and a movie every Tue and Fri. Although it is great there are a lot of temptations.  Denny's has already given me the clear to bring in my own chicken and dressing (their chicken has garlic & onions on it) so that is great. Today we are going to the Cheesecake Factory so I will need to go online today to see what I can get.

So now I am going to make my food, eat, and read day 1 of the daily's. I will keep checking through out the day because it helps keep me on track.  

Archived