May 22nd Start Date- Who's In??

Caroline22

Hi everyone! I'm back for my second Whole30 after completing one successfully earlier this year. I pretty much stuck to a Whole30-ish lifestyle until my husband and I went to Italy for 10 days. I didn't go crazy, but I definitely ate a lot of pasta. I didn't feel bad, though, probably because the quality of ingredients over there is so much better than the crap we have here in the U.S. Once we got back and I didn't return to the Whole30 lifestyle, I started feeling the difference. So here I am again!

I did my first Whole30 completely by myself, which was tough. This time, my husband is doing it with me because he saw what a difference it made in my life the first time around. I learned from last time that using any spare moment to prep food is pretty necessary. We're not willing to spend money on packaged Whole30 meals or expensive compliant salad dressings, etc., so it takes a lot of work. But boy, is it worth it! This morning I had eggs and a salmon cake. Lunch will be leftover spaghetti squash with ground beef and the tomato sauce from the Whole30 book, with a side of strawberries. I need to work on incorporating more fat and veggies. You will be hungry if you don't get the ratios right! 

Good luck, everyone! 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My day 1 went pretty well. I was hungry mid-morning and I think I need to add more healthy fat to my breakfasts, but still figuring out how to do that. I'm really not a morning person and I know we're supposed to take our time eating, but I haven't managed to not eat breakfast in the car yet. 

Today, different story. I want coffee, with cream and sweetener! There was a large group presentation this morning and there were pastries. But I was good. I only had fruit. 

I have a headache, probably due to caffeine withdrawal. 

Looking forward to my lunch though. The avocado tuna I had half of yesterday was yummy. And today I have homemade ranch dressing to go with carrot/celery sticks as well. :-)

Stay strong everyone. You can do it! 

Day One went swimmingly. I'm super smug about it :-)

Day 2

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with salsa and veggies

Lunch: BBQ chicken salad from W30 cookbook

Dinner: Salmon with Mango Salsa from W30 cookbook

Workout: Yoga with weights (sprained  ankle still keeping me mellow)

Food choices are fairly easy for me. I eat this way most of the time (but with a lot more fruit and the occasional carby snack), but I need to work on my overall habits. Eating too fast, not savoring the delicious food I take the time to prepare, not chewing enough, too many snacks, eating past the point of satiety. This is what I am using the program for this time.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, YM0321 said:

Breakfast: Just coffee, which is terrible, but I wasn't hungry, and it seems like eating when you're not hungry is counter productive to the program

Eating when you're not hungry might be counterproductive, or it might not. We really recommend eating your first meal within an hour of waking because it helps regulate your cortisol levels. If you're used to not eating breakfast, you may not be hungry first thing in the morning, but you should still eat. Here's a little more explanation: https://www.thepaleomom.com/is-breakfast-really-most-important-meal/ 

I am almost done with day 2, and I'm still going!  I had a crazy day today, had a crisis at a patients house, and couldn't get back to the office (60 miles away) to heat up my lunch.  So I stopped at the nearest grocery store, grabbed some cut up veggies, nuts, an epic bar and some raspberries.  Not ideal, but I knew the items were compliant so I rolled with it.  I am so darn proud of myself for not throwing in the towel because I hit a snag.  

For dinner tonight, I sautéed up some shredded cabbage and carrots and onions, and mixed that with browned homemade fennel sausage.  And I put it on top of a baked potato.  Awesomeness.  And it took all of 10 minutes.  Yahoo!

I am out of food for the most part so I have to get creative on what to eat tomorrow, but I can do it! 

Keep it it up Peeps!

19 minutes ago, Mimahirn said:

I am almost done with day 2, and I'm still going!  I had a crazy day today, had a crisis at a patients house, and couldn't get back to the office (60 miles away) to heat up my lunch.  So I stopped at the nearest grocery store, grabbed some cut up veggies, nuts, an epic bar and some raspberries.  Not ideal, but I knew the items were compliant so I rolled with it.  I am so darn proud of myself for not throwing in the towel because I hit a snag.  

For dinner tonight, I sautéed up some shredded cabbage and carrots and onions, and mixed that with browned homemade fennel sausage.  And I put it on top of a baked potato.  Awesomeness.  And it took all of 10 minutes.  Yahoo!

I am out of food for the most part so I have to get creative on what to eat tomorrow, but I can do it! 

Keep it it up Peeps!

I love that you didn't abandon the program!!! Great job!!! 

And get to the store to get some food so you don't find yourself stuck and scrambling! Lol 

Today went really well besides my headache around 2... but I can't say I ever felt sluggish like I normally do at that time. Just headachey, I ended up having a half a cup of black coffee and walking around for a few minutes and it passed. Today when I got home, I prepped the veggies below, went for a jog, and by the time I got back they were all ready to go! 

My beets are just roasted with a little vinegar, avocado oil, and parsley. Brussels I shook in a bag with a tbsp of coconut oil, garlic salt and pepper. And the squash I just steamed and didn't even touch today, but since the oven was on I figured I would maximize it and have them for tomorrow. 

My protien for dinner was tuna with half an avocado, mixed with lemon juice and diced tomatoes, scooped into the lettuce wraps and sides of beets and Brussels. I ended up also having a half a banana with a tsp of almond butter since I was so hungry after the run. 

Hope everyone had an awesome and tasty day!!! 

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Mimahirn said:

Keep it it up Peeps!

Your dinner sounds good!  Don't forget to add fat!  Cooking fat doesn't really count... maybe some avocado on top of the whole thing next time :)

Woohoo we made it thru day 2!!

I worked a 12 hr shift today..did not gorge on food when I came home and made my meals for tomorrow in under 30 mins. Yay trader joes!

One thing I'm learning tho is there's no such thing as too many vegetables..i thought I bought enough for the week but ill be out by tomorrow!

I'm on Day 4 and feel great. No headaches, cravings or hangry effects! I'm already feeling less bloated, so wonder if I do have a sensitivity I don't know about. (I do have IBS, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities). I had cut out processed sugar last week, so I wonder if that helped. 

We are going camping this weekend, so I've been preparing and planning meals to help (and not drive my family crazy). 

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth3645 said:

I'm on Day 4 and feel great. No headaches, cravings or hangry effects! I'm already feeling less bloated, so wonder if I do have a sensitivity I don't know about. (I do have IBS, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities). I had cut out processed sugar last week, so I wonder if that helped. 

We are going camping this weekend, so I've been preparing and planning meals to help (and not drive my family crazy). 

That's fun! I think we are going camping as well this weekend! Enjoy!! smart move planning early, you will do great! 

12 hours ago, Caroline22 said:

Woohoo we made it thru day 2!!

I worked a 12 hr shift today..did not gorge on food when I came home and made my meals for tomorrow in under 30 mins. Yay trader joes!

One thing I'm learning tho is there's no such thing as too many vegetables..i thought I bought enough for the week but ill be out by tomorrow!

That was one of my favorite parts about doing the Whole30 the first time around. I actually used all the vegetables and herbs I bought, and nothing went bad! And I was buying a LOT. Also, having to take out the kitchen trash so often and seeing it filled with egg shells, vegetable peels, etc. (as opposed to takeout boxes or whatever) is oddly satisfying...

My day 3 is going well so far. Had a salmon cake and eggs with Whole30 tartar sauce for breakfast. That tartar sauce recipe is one of my favorites. I used chopped capers instead of pickles the first time I made it because I didn't have pickles, but it was so tasty I've just kept making it like that. 

Last night my husband and I made the slow cooker pot roast recipe from the Whole30 book. YUM! That will definitely be in our weekly rotation. It's easy and quick to prepare. The fresh thyme made it soooo tasty and the combination of veggies is perfect. I will say, you don't need to add beef broth or water, and double or triple the salt they recommend. With the amount of raw vegetables you're putting in, you'll need it. And there is more than enough liquid from the meat itself. Maybe they recommend beef broth to make it more like a soup, but we had plenty of liquid without it. 

Tonight I'm going to make a Whole30-friendly chicken piccata recipe I found online. Really excited about that. I forgot how good all this food was!!

1 hour ago, diamonds422 said:

That was one of my favorite parts about doing the Whole30 the first time around. I actually used all the vegetables and herbs I bought, and nothing went bad! And I was buying a LOT. Also, having to take out the kitchen trash so often and seeing it filled with egg shells, vegetable peels, etc. (as opposed to takeout boxes or whatever) is oddly satisfying...

Wonder if anyone has any good compost tips?? 

Doing pretty well, but missing my afternoon tea. I usually add a little honey or stevia, so I guess I'll just drink it black.

Meal 1: Scrambled eggs and veggies

Meal 2: Tahini salad from W30 book (I added cooked shrimp for protein)

Meal 3: Roasted chicken thighs with cauliflower rice from W30 book (I'm on a mission to cook my way through it)

Workout: strength training  (can't wait to resume my spin classes  when the ankle heals a bit more)

Day 3 is in the books!

Today I wake up feeling great, no headaches or cravings so far and it almost 8pm, yay!  I can say I did notice I didn't need to use my inhaler during my cardio which I normally have to use.  I also didn't felt tired or hungry around 3pm.  My lunch hold me up to dinner time and didn't drink my coffee in the afternoon which is another win.  Let's hope tomorrow is another good day.

Meal1- warm lemon water, fried egg, potato hash and kale, 1 strawberry and 1 halo and black tea.

Postworkout- almonds

Meal2 - chicken and veggie soup (kale, sweet potato, onions, garlic, celery, oregano, bay leave, salt, pepper, cilantro) and a little of hot sauce and 1apple with leftover almonds from postworkout.

Meal3- romain lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice and guacamole with shredded chicken.

Workout: elliptical HIIT and arms

Water: 112oz

7 minutes ago, izzy said:

Day 3 is in the books!

Today I wake up feeling great, no headaches or cravings so far and it almost 8pm, yay!  I can say I did notice I didn't need to use my inhaler during my cardio which I normally have to use.  I also didn't felt tired or hungry around 3pm.  My lunch hold me up to dinner time and didn't drink my coffee in the afternoon which is another win.  Let's hope tomorrow is another good day.

Meal1- warm lemon water, fried egg, potato hash and kale, 1 strawberry and 1 halo and black tea.

Postworkout- almonds

Meal2 - chicken and veggie soup (kale, sweet potato, onions, garlic, celery, oregano, bay leave, salt, pepper, cilantro) and a little of hot sauce and 1apple with leftover almonds from postworkout.

Meal3- romain lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice and guacamole with shredded chicken.

Workout: elliptical HIIT and arms

Water: 112oz

Funny, I didn't use my inhaler during cardio today either!! High five! 

Craving pretty bad today tho... and not sweets. A beer. A soft pretzel. Ugh! It's gonna be a long night! 

I almost blew it today. I wasn't even thinking and almost popped a mint candy (available at an event I was working). I guess I don't think of mints as food. I had it unwrapped and was about to put it in my mouth when I realized, "Oh #&%$#! I can't have this!" Luckily I stopped myself in time. It would be horrible to start over something I didn't really crave and picked up on total autopilot. 

Day 3 went well for me as well! The searing pain I had had for over 2 months in my abdomen is gone! So I'm really happy about that. I have to start buying more meaty greens as I am blowing through them between breakfast and lunch. I made the Moroccan version of the cauliflower rice along with the sweet potato soup (both from the book) on Monday and have been combining those for dinners. 

I am definately having a hard time with protein as I am a vegetarian and not a fish eater. I don't want to modify for beans or tofu, so I am going to be bold and try some tuna mashed with avocado, and perhaps some salmon cakes with the tarter sauce recipe to get in more protein without eating a dozen eggs a day O_o

I was not a big breakfast person before, eating a couple scrambled eggs plain or with a little cheese. So adding more veggies, avocado and geeens to it has been difficult for me to eat (because it seems like so much food). But I am really pleased at how long it actually holds me over in the day! When before I wanted lunch 3 hours later. I just have to find the right ratio to not feel like I'm ill trying to eat it all, but still getting enough in to hold me over.

Also- I have been super proud at how much water I have been drinking, around 100oz a day! It used to be an accomplishment to drink 24oz ;)

overall I have been feeling great

49 minutes ago, Mimahirn said:

Wow, really hit with carb flu or withdrawal symptoms or something.  Yikes.  I feel awful.  Any suggestions for pushing through? 

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily, salting your food, and including a serving of fat over and above what you're using to cook with at every meal?

M1: Leftover chicken and veggies, plus a scrambled egg

M2: Fish with cauli and poblano pilaf (W30 book)

M3: Lamb chops (W30 book) over zoodles

Workout: Some strength training (ankle is healing nicely, should be ready for a wee bit of hiking by the weekend)

Onward,  W30 peeps!!

Archived