May 22nd Start Date- Who's In??

Caroline22

9 minutes ago, Elizabeth3645 said:

This sounds delicious!  Thank you !

I was looking through cans and pouches of tuna fish last night at the grocery store, and everything had soy in it. Is there a particular brand or is it a minimal amount of soy?  I ended up with salmon instead.

really?! wow, tbh I didn't read the ingredients in my tuna since starting this... I will have to look tonite!  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Amyrotella I think it goes without saying that you must read your labels. I think that's the most eye-opening part of the Whole 30. When you start reading the ingredients of what's in the food you're eating (or maybe wanted to eat), it changes your perspective totally. Just yesterday I was having some tuna fish from a pouch. Note: I am not on the Whole 30 yet, but will start June 1. In my tuna pouch, there was sugar and soy. But what do those ingredients do for my tuna? Nothing. It doesn't make sense. The foods that seem innocent and compliant aren't always safe. For tuna fish, the brand SafeCatch is compliant. Again, check your labels. 

Hi everyone, I started my first Whole30 this week too.  I didn't find the forums until after I started so I was just going to lurk.  Now I feel like I need more accountability so I'm introducing myself!  Late to the party (typical!)  My goals are to lose weight, and manage pain and acid reflux.  

I've had some delicious food so far.  Yesterday I grated a potato and fried up my own hash browns with eggs, peppers, and green salsa and avocado.  Do we count a potato as a vegetable?  Another favorite was sausage on the grill, a mountain of green beans, homemade sweet potato fries and watermelon.

I've also had some flops.  I made a huge morning casserole of eggs, coconut milk, spinach, green beans, peppers, sweet potatoes and onions.  So hard to choke down.  I'm going to freeze the rest of it and see if my tastes change later.  The idea of eating that many veggies in the morning makes my head explode so I know I have a ways to go.

I'm taking my kids to a cast party this morning (we're homeschoolers) and it's a potluck with pizza being brought in.  Potlucks are such a trigger for me, so I'm worried.  I don't especially mind giving up foods when I know I can eat them at a restaurant or buy them at the store after my 30 days are up.  But what if someone brings something today that looks so good and I'll never have another chance to try it again...???  I know it's ridiculous, but it's what is going to happen in my head today.

Wish me luck, and I hope everyone has a successful day!  Bring on the long weekend!

26 minutes ago, Elizabeth3645 said:

This sounds delicious!  Thank you !

I was looking through cans and pouches of tuna fish last night at the grocery store, and everything had soy in it. Is there a particular brand or is it a minimal amount of soy?  I ended up with salmon instead.

Google: Tuna that doesn't contain soy. 

Depends on where you live.

15 minutes ago, RainyPM said:

Hi everyone, I started my first Whole30 this week too.  I didn't find the forums until after I started so I was just going to lurk.  Now I feel like I need more accountability so I'm introducing myself!  Late to the party (typical!)  My goals are to lose weight, and manage pain and acid reflux.  

I've had some delicious food so far.  Yesterday I grated a potato and fried up my own hash browns with eggs, peppers, and green salsa and avocado.  Do we count a potato as a vegetable?  Another favorite was sausage on the grill, a mountain of green beans, homemade sweet potato fries and watermelon.

I've also had some flops.  I made a huge morning casserole of eggs, coconut milk, spinach, green beans, peppers, sweet potatoes and onions.  So hard to choke down.  I'm going to freeze the rest of it and see if my tastes change later.  The idea of eating that many veggies in the morning makes my head explode so I know I have a ways to go.

I'm taking my kids to a cast party this morning (we're homeschoolers) and it's a potluck with pizza being brought in.  Potlucks are such a trigger for me, so I'm worried.  I don't especially mind giving up foods when I know I can eat them at a restaurant or buy them at the store after my 30 days are up.  But what if someone brings something today that looks so good and I'll never have another chance to try it again...???  I know it's ridiculous, but it's what is going to happen in my head today.

Wish me luck, and I hope everyone has a successful day!  Bring on the long weekend!

Don't worry. You won't miss out on anything! No matter what anyone brings to the pot luck, remember this: 

In this huge world of exotic foods you can have your pick at whatever you want, any time you want...

But right now you are choosing the BEST foods for your body.

Besides... there might be a hair in it or maybe they didn't wash their hands before making it...

That thought always works for me!!!

@RainyPM potatoes are a starchy vegetable. I absolutely love roasting sweet and white potatoes in the oven with a bit of seasonings. That reminds me, there's a recipe for an easy breakfast hash with sausages, white onion, and potatoes (go here: http://littlecoconutty.com/2015/09/whole30-breakfast-hash.html) that can be easily prepared ahead of time. Speaking of recipes, I recommend getting the Whole 30 cookbook for new meal ideas. Lastly, I know that social situations can be so challenging. Instead of going into it thinking you won't be able to have it again, just remember it's just 30-days. This isn't for the rest of your life, unless you choose to extend your Whole 30 beyond 30-days. Perhaps you could have a meal before the cast party or offer to bring your own compliant dish so you know there's something you can enjoy without feeling tempted or guilty. 

Biggest revelation so far: the rash I've had on my arm for the past 6 months has completely disappeared in the 4 days I have been on W30. I had been putting a prescription cream on it with minimal results, but it's completely gone! Now I'm curious to find out what's causing it during reintroduction...

M1: Woke up to an empty fridge, so I had to go to the store immediately and eat in the car (Chomps, fruit, veggies)

M2: Sweet potato stacks from W30 book

M3: Warm Brussels sprout salad with bacon with fried egg on top

Workout: HIIT training with weights

Great to see everyone is doing so well!

How did your workout go?

I had one of my best runs the other day - 2.5 miles. Felt great. Did 7 today and was totally out of gas at 4 miles.

I should have eaten more than 2 eggs this morning, but will have to work on paying more attention to intake - usually I just rely on protein shakes and gels. Will just take some getting use to. 

I saw in the forum there is a Whole30 plan for athletes, just haven't researched it as much. 

7 hours ago, Rhonda Dee Lillie said:

Pack some fruit, nuts, veggies and can of tuna or chicken. 

Ideas:

bananas, apples, pears, lemons

peaches, cherries, nectarines

almonds / walnuts / cashews

carrot sticks, celery sticks, zucchini (raw is delicious) lettuce, tomatoes, green onions

grated coconut

Canned meat: tuna, salmon, chicken 

pack it and once there make this: 

chop up canned chicken in bowl, add chopped green onions, and lots of fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper.

add grated coconut.

wrap in lettuce leaves like a chicken wrap.

Enjoy!

wow great idea!

I am so excited to be nearing the end of the work week!  Had to walk right past a bag of gourmet cookies someone brought in to get to my desk, but i did it!

It's been weird taking out all of the decisions with my diet.  This is just what i eat for 30 days no question.  So, when I've been faced with a decision it feels very simple compared to other plans-- is it whole30 compliant?  There's my decision.  It's been weirdly liberating these past few days.  Also, I have been mindful of how many things I have not eaten that I would have eaten just in passing and not even really enjoyed... I'm starting to feel shocked I wasn't in worse shape!

Detox-- so far so good, but I do feel tired and my eyes feel really puffy and feel (don't really look) swollen.  Anyone else have this?  

One of my weird issues has been random unexplained hives (just a couple at a time) and I am still getting those.... so we'll see on that symptom.  Digestions issues, MUCH better already.  I can feel I am on the road to healing there... and that is really helping me stay motivated.  If I already feel better in that department, I can only imagine how I'll feel at the end of this!  And those problems have been plaguing me for years... decades!

I haven't felt very tempted yet, BUT... Last night I dreamed all night about accidentally eating cake or candy or other really over the top bad stuff.  And every dream would end with me going, "oh no!" and spitting it out and freaking out.  So as much as I feel like I'm not stressing over it, there must be something there.  Anyone else have mess up dreams??  I remember I was plagued with them when I was quitting smoking.

Great job everyone!  Thank you for the support and good luck to us all this weekend!

3 hours ago, lacyjean said:

I am so excited to be nearing the end of the work week!  Had to walk right past a bag of gourmet cookies someone brought in to get to my desk, but i did it!

It's been weird taking out all of the decisions with my diet.  This is just what i eat for 30 days no question.  So, when I've been faced with a decision it feels very simple compared to other plans-- is it whole30 compliant?  There's my decision.  It's been weirdly liberating these past few days.  Also, I have been mindful of how many things I have not eaten that I would have eaten just in passing and not even really enjoyed... I'm starting to feel shocked I wasn't in worse shape!

Detox-- so far so good, but I do feel tired and my eyes feel really puffy and feel (don't really look) swollen.  Anyone else have this?  

One of my weird issues has been random unexplained hives (just a couple at a time) and I am still getting those.... so we'll see on that symptom.  Digestions issues, MUCH better already.  I can feel I am on the road to healing there... and that is really helping me stay motivated.  If I already feel better in that department, I can only imagine how I'll feel at the end of this!  And those problems have been plaguing me for years... decades!

I haven't felt very tempted yet, BUT... Last night I dreamed all night about accidentally eating cake or candy or other really over the top bad stuff.  And every dream would end with me going, "oh no!" and spitting it out and freaking out.  So as much as I feel like I'm not stressing over it, there must be something there.  Anyone else have mess up dreams??  I remember I was plagued with them when I was quitting smoking.

Great job everyone!  Thank you for the support and good luck to us all this weekend!

I'm also enjoying the liberating feeling of less decision making!! It so easy to pass things up and all the stuff I used to crave is gone (mcflurry? Yuck. Give me some broccoli instead lol).

No bad dreams yet but i know they're coming. I had real good ones other times i have done the whole 30 for sure.

I think im already feeling like I have more energy! Im nearing the end of a 12 hr shift and instead of looking forward to netflix and my bed Im pumped to go out and do more stuff!

Hi all - Just wanted to check in and say I made it through the potluck without eating anything I shouldn't.  Thanks for the great advice.  I laughed and laughed at Rhonda's comment that maybe they didn't wash their hands!!  I brought compliant deviled eggs (great idea Cristina) to share with everyone, and some other food for me.  My only mistake was expecting that someone would bring a veggie tray, so I had guacamole and ranch, but no carrots or celery or broccoli!  Grapes and almonds held me over.

I made the best carnitas ever tonight in the crockpot and ate them over green salad with avocado and olives and tomatillo salsa.  I'm happy to share the carnitas recipe if anyone is interested.

Hope you all have a great weekend, including you campers!  I'm cheering for you.

Sweet dreams!

Alright crew, my sugar dragon is ROARING tonight - I am at home with my family for the long weekend, and my mom happens to be a huge candy fiend, so there is sugar alllllllaround. I've been pretty good all day, but tonight i am having some serious sugar cravings. Eating frozen peaches to help and staying strong, but the struggle is real tonight!! Hope everyone else is doing well :) 

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Elleteej said:

Alright crew, my sugar dragon is ROARING tonight - I am at home with my family for the long weekend, and my mom happens to be a huge candy fiend, so there is sugar alllllllaround. I've been pretty good all day, but tonight i am having some serious sugar cravings. Eating frozen peaches to help and staying strong, but the struggle is real tonight!! Hope everyone else is doing well :) 

Sorry you're struggling... those frozen peaches probably aren't really doing you any favors... try a hard boiled egg, some olives, something fatty... giving the tantrum something sweet in whatever form just perpetuates the ongoing tantrums... 

How about some olives and a cold glass of sparkling water with ice?

I can sympathize. I had a Larabar yesterday after a run (was able to eat a potato and chopped chicken a bit later), but it was like my body sat up and remembered what sweets tasted like. Definitely the sugar dragon! Yikes.

I was also craving chips and salsa last night when everyone else was having them, but resisted! Had a grilled hamburger patty with onion, tomato, avacado on lettuce. Delish.

Glad we're staying strong in the face of holiday weekend temptation

M1: Homemade turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, and an orange

M2: Bistro salad (W30 book) and an orange

M3: Chicken with roasted root veggies (W30 book)

No workout, rest day

I'm trying to take it easy on the fruit, and I wasn't craving anything sweet with my lunch, but the orange was starting to go bad, so I ate it and then felt bad for eating when not hungry. I'll eat more mindfully in the future.

Day 6 is over, yay!  I was afraid of today because we usually eat lots of junk food and sweets on the weekend.  For dinner DH grilled burgers and  the boys had them with chips and I baked some plantain chips for my dinner.

M1- potato hash with onions, red and green peppers, and kale with two fried eggs  I also had half a banana with a few blueberries and black tea.

M2- yucca and chicken stew (yucca, carrots, celery, onions, chicken legs, bone broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper) this turn out delicious!

M3- grilled hamburger  patty with pico de gallo and baked plantain chips.  I also had some fruit.

I just realized that I had lots of starchy veggies today :( I need to make sure this doesn't happen again.  As far as cravings, yesterday was bad. I was surprise thought that my cravings were for Chinese, or eating out and not for sweets.  I'm also surprised that I haven't crave ice cream, even thought I been serving ice cream to my boys daily.

I glad everyone is doing good, have a nice weekend!

Nursing a cold today and sore throat, but resisiting cough drops and sticking to tea.

M1: Turkey sausage, tomato, and spinach frittata, more spinach on the side

M2: Pork lettuce wraps with peach salsa (W30 book)

M3: Mediterranean burger on tomato (W30 book)

Workout: spin class and power yoga

M1/2 (I slept in!): pork chop with potatoes and advocado

M2: grilled chicken, sweet potato and blueberries

Lots of starchy veggies oops! But i figured out why- the monthy visitor came this morning LOL

And i had a NSV! For the first time ever I worked a 12 hr night shift and had no cravings whatsoever for sugar/sweets. In fact I didn't even touch any of the whole 30 food I brought with me! 

I'm feeling frustrated, and so ready to throw in the towel. It's not even from cravings.... I don't have a bad relationship with food, never did. But I feel like this is MAKING me feel that way. Like I am so obsessed with every morsel that is going into my body, that it's all I am thinking about. Planning. Eating. Planning for the next meal. Eating. My bf is asking me where we can go to dinner where it'll be easy for me to eat but, that's not fair to the family, though I appreciate their support. Grrrrr 

2 hours ago, Amyrotella said:

I'm feeling frustrated, and so ready to throw in the towel. It's not even from cravings.... I don't have a bad relationship with food, never did. But I feel like this is MAKING me feel that way. Like I am so obsessed with every morsel that is going into my body, that it's all I am thinking about. Planning. Eating. Planning for the next meal. Eating. My bf is asking me where we can go to dinner where it'll be easy for me to eat but, that's not fair to the family, though I appreciate their support. Grrrrr 

hang in there, you are strong and you can survive this.  Today I was feeling kind of the same.  We usually go out to eat every weekend and this weekend we didn't instead DH grilled both days and I kind of make good tasting veggies to go along with my meats.  Yes it was hard specially today the we went to the mall and walk a lot in the heat wasn't helping.  All I wanted was a blizzard from DQ, but I stick to my cold water bottle.  Then we went grocery shopping and they were having lots of samplers, I kept telling myself, I won't be able to do this, eating out will be impossible, then I remember is only a month and it will be worth.  When I got home the boys ate ice cream after dinner and I just had some berries.  I usually don't eat fruit in the evening but I wanted to eat something with them and fruit was a good choice.  Now I'm feeling good and happy for the choices I made and I know you will make good choices too.  I believe in you, the question here is do you?? it is only one moth, 4 weeks...actually 3 more weeks!

Week 1 is over and we made it, congratulations!

How is everyone feeling?  I was doing great until today.  Don't get me wrong, I still feel great, but I had my doubts today.  We went shopping the and the weather was not helping it was 97F but it felt like 100F outside.  I'm super happy that my husband helped me survive today by not listening to me every time I say I really want a blizzard from DQ, instead he bought me a very cold water bottle :)  My family is not doing whole 30 with me, but they are supporting me by not eating out (the kids can't wait for the month to be over so I can take them to Menchies, LOL)

Last night I forgot to mention that I did exercise, so this week I exercise 6 days and I do hope next week will be the same :)

Today's meals...
M1- leftover lunch from yesterday with a fried egg and black tea.

M2- grilled pork chop with leftover roasted veggies from Friday and some berries.

M3- grilled chicken breast with zoodles, onions and mushrooms and some berries.

Day off today, but did walk a lot.

Water, not as much as I wanted 80oz, when I'm out of the house it's hard to drink same amount I usually do.

Have a good evening everyone!

9 hours ago, Caroline22 said:

M1/2 (I slept in!): pork chop with potatoes and advocado

M2: grilled chicken, sweet potato and blueberries

Lots of starchy veggies oops! But i figured out why- the monthy visitor came this morning LOL

And i had a NSV! For the first time ever I worked a 12 hr night shift and had no cravings whatsoever for sugar/sweets. In fact I didn't even touch any of the whole 30 food I brought with me! 

That is awesome!

I survive the holiday, another win :)

I noticed that my energy levels are over the roof, I no longer need or crave a cup or two of coffee at 3pm.

Today was very busy, we didn't have many plans, in fact we stayed home, but I was busy cleaning, doing laundry, cooking with the husband and cleaning the bathrooms.  We went to the gym and the boys to the pool for an hour in the morning.  Then we came home, prepared a whole 30 approved rub for the ribs and we decided to cook them slow in the oven instead of the insta pot and grill.  Those ribs took 5hrs :wacko: I ended up having a fruit salad for lunch because I was starving.  I was going to bake a sweet potato but since the ribs took longer than expected I wasn't prepared.  We ended up having the ribs for dinner, which turn out delicious but super spicy, next time I will only use half of the chili and cayenne pepper.

I hope everyone had a great Monday.

Archived