Anyone want to buddy up?

ncgoaliemom

I started on the 14th.   And I'm doing ok (cravings for my almond milk and stevia in my coffee are kicking my butt about now) but I'd love to have some buddies here for accountability and to just talk to about the program.   I'm the only one in my family doing this, so I don't really have anyone to talk to about struggles, issues, etc.    My co-workers are no fun, they are calling it the "prison diet" or "fun sponge diet"   They don't understand I didn't choose this because I wanted to shed some pounds (which I desperately need to do) it's about healing chronic inflammation in my body.   I'm miserable all.the.time.    So they don't understand my underlying motivation.  

It would just be nice to talk with like minded people.

Welcome! I started back on the 7th, so I'm on day 11 now, but I just wanted to commiserate with you. I had a similar experience as you're having with your coworkers just recently. I'm part of a group in another forum on an unrelated topic, but we have a thread related to health & wellness and it was actually there that I first learned abut Whole30. So I posted in there about some NSVs from the weekend and a new group member started asking questions about Whole30. It ended with her mostly dismissing Whole30 as a cleanse and allergy testing, and it was obvious that she wasn't going to take the time to fully understand, so I didn't push the subject. Other people shared some experiences, including some "Kill All the Things" moments, so I shared one of mine and how I was grateful for getting through it, because it taught me something about situations that trigger cravings for certain foods. The new member then puts up a post about how it was interesting how people react to having certain things taken away and when she lost all her weight, she missed her pretzels but never got cranky about it...but maybe it was different for those people who were listening to what other people told them not to eat and not making the decision on their own. I didn't put up a reply because that group is typically pretty low drama and I couldn't think of anything nice to say in response. My internal response is: LISTEN LADY, I made the choice to follow the rules of this program. No one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to eat veggies instead of pastries. I'm doing this to CHANGE my eating habits, to learn more about why I ate what I used to eat, to learn how to cook with real food, to have more energy, to heal my body, to reduce inflammation and learn how the diet I was eating before affects my overall health (also to shed some pounds, of course). I've also had those cranky "Kill All the Things" moments on traditional calorie restriction diets, so it's not specific to Whole30. Additionally, I would love to continue to eat mostly Whole30 after I finish my 30 days. This isn't just a temporary thing for me. This is the type of diet that just makes the most sense to me. Eat lots of veggies, add in some good quality protein and healthy fat. Don't snack if you're not hungry. Who can argue with that? I understand that there are plenty of other ways to lose weight, but don't belittle the program I'm doing just because it's not the way you did it! :angry:

OK I feel better now. Rant over. :) 

Best of luck to you! I wish I could tell you that the cravings get easier, but I actually had very few at the beginning and now they're creeping up on me as stressful situations pop up and I want to seek some comfort in food. Like yesterday I'd have killed for some ice cream for my sore throat. Good thing mint tea and homemade chicken soup are compliant.

I heard from a speaker at a conference once, "people criticize in the areas the are most insecure".  I try to remind myself of this and acknowledge that on some level people are intimidated by the restriction, and therefore if they belittle it, they can brush off whatever feelings they have.

I'm completely with you on this being a continual thing.  I'm not in for just 30.  I know previously my body responded incredibly well to a raw vegan diet.  All my illness disappeared.   I just can't seem to stick with it.  The prep time is insane.  And dang it a girl wants a chicken wing every now and then!  This is the only program I think that I personally can stick with long term.  

I am looking forward to getting stevia back in my life hopefully!  

Im sorry about your sore throat.  I hope it mends quickly!! 

I agree. I also think she's still figuring out the group dynamic and trying to fit in. I have a good friend who always gives new people a pass for the first few months until they've settled in to their new environment. 

Yeah, I think this is the most prep time I could stick with. It's way more than I used to do, but I know it's for my own good. Last night I just wanted to collapse with some soup and tea, but I had to make the soup first and then make breakfast for this morning, and then do all the dishes! I made it through though. :) I always feel so accomplished when I get done with all that prep. And now, I shouldn't need to cook at all tonight! 

Thanks, my throat is much better. I think it's just an annoying cold.

Ladies, 

I hope you don't mind if I join this chat -- I'm very reluctant to be on the forums, because I've had so many bad experiences in other groups where trolls want to pop your bubble. You two are saying things that make sense to me! 

I started May 15 (so day 4 today) and I'm lucky that my husband is 100% on board (a first for him when I've had these ideas of getting healthier.) He's already feeling huge results from his inflammation going down, but I'm struggling. I don't feel better, I feel worse. I don't have more energy, I have the same amount. I'm actually having daydreams about certain candies -- won't do me good to list them here.

I've got a gnarly headache, my intestines have been angry for the last 36 hours, I'm fatigued, I didn't sleep well last night, and I had leg cramps in the night. I have no intention of quitting, but I would be really grateful if you would be willing to cheer me on today. 

Thank you for any support you're willing to give!

PS - I'm happy to support you back as well! ;) Silly that I didn't say that above! I'm encouraged to hear you two commiserate and lift each other up! 

PPS - Yes, the prep, for me at least, seems to be exactly what I can handle, and I have really enjoyed feeling like there's a plan and we're not always asking "what's for dinner tonight? anything sound good to you?"

• Moderators
2 hours ago, vankaypie said:

Ladies, 

I hope you don't mind if I join this chat -- I'm very reluctant to be on the forums, because I've had so many bad experiences in other groups where trolls want to pop your bubble. You two are saying things that make sense to me! 

I started May 15 (so day 4 today) and I'm lucky that my husband is 100% on board (a first for him when I've had these ideas of getting healthier.) He's already feeling huge results from his inflammation going down, but I'm struggling. I don't feel better, I feel worse. I don't have more energy, I have the same amount. I'm actually having daydreams about certain candies -- won't do me good to list them here.

I've got a gnarly headache, my intestines have been angry for the last 36 hours, I'm fatigued, I didn't sleep well last night, and I had leg cramps in the night. I have no intention of quitting, but I would be really grateful if you would be willing to cheer me on today. 

We have no trolls... seriously, we don't tolerate spamming, trolling, name calling, being mean... this is probably one of the safest forums I've ever seen. :)  Enjoy yourself here, we'll keep all the nastiness of 'out there' away :)

I'm a bit suspicious that you're undereating, based on the comments about struggling... are you making all meals match the template?  Adding fat and salt to your food? Drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight?  Eating more veggies than fruit?  Feel free to list some days of what you've been eating including specific foods, portion sizes related to template etc... lets see if we can get you feeling a bit better...

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

We have no trolls... seriously, we don't tolerate spamming, trolling, name calling, being mean... this is probably one of the safest forums I've ever seen. :)  Enjoy yourself here, we'll keep all the nastiness of 'out there' away :)

I'm a bit suspicious that you're undereating, based on the comments about struggling... are you making all meals match the template?  Adding fat and salt to your food? Drinking 1/2oz of water per pound of bodyweight?  Eating more veggies than fruit?  Feel free to list some days of what you've been eating including specific foods, portion sizes related to template etc... lets see if we can get you feeling a bit better...

Yay for no trolls! Can't tell you how many times i'm excited about something, talk about it publicly, and am shut down. This will be a welcome, awesome change. 

I think my electrolytes are messed up. I'm definitely getting enough water, but probably not enough salt compared to that water intake (i'm estimating around 200 oz per day between water, decaf iced tea, and seltzer water -- i weigh 180lb). I had the same problem during pregnancy of bad water to salt ratio.

samples of what I've been eating:

4 eggs scrambled with a couple oz of chicken, grn and red bell peppers, onion, turnip greens, cooked in coconut or olive oil

pork tenderloin (palm sized) with salad (lettuce, avocado, tomato, primal kitchen dressing) and a sweet potato

homemade fijita beef with roasted peppers, onions, plus a spoonful of sunflower nut butter

chicken "tenders" (4 pieces) with sunflower nut butter, cucumbers and tomatoes in balsamic vinegar to fill my plate

I know the guideline really well -- read all of It Starts with Food and prepped for two weeks -- so I think i'm "doing it right." I haven't wanted much fruit, but a few times I've added it (blackberries, strawberries and 1 banana so far) to mealtimes. There's been a couple times when I was feeling kind of like a deflated balloon and coconut manna with strawberries helped a bit (i've done that twice.) 

I should probably focus today on getting enough salt with my food, and it's possible my healthy oil intake is too low. Do you have any other recommendations?

Lastly, as an update, my headache is better without Tylenol, and my muscles feel better after the banana. 

PS - I feel like I just hijacked this thread. Sorry if this is too off topic for the creator! :)

3 hours ago, vankaypie said:

Ladies, 

PS - I'm happy to support you back as well! ;) Silly that I didn't say that above! I'm encouraged to hear you two commiserate and lift each other up! 

PPS - Yes, the prep, for me at least, seems to be exactly what I can handle, and I have really enjoyed feeling like there's a plan and we're not always asking "what's for dinner tonight? anything sound good to you?"

Welcome! You're in the right place for support! :) I'm also happy to hear there are no trolls allowed on this forum. I've been very pleasantly surprised with my experience on these forums so far. 

I'm glad a mod jumped in to give you some advice on the food area, so I won't comment on that, but I will say it took a bit of time for me to start feeling better. Have you seen the timeline of typical effects? SugarcubeOD has it linked in her signature above. I still don't know if I have extra energy, but I do feel like my energy levels have stabilized and I'm no longer "done" and exhausted by 6 PM. However, there were days that I was just dragging all day long until I went home and exercised. Then I felt better and had energy to cook for the night. 

As for the daydreaming about sweets...I've been doing that on and off for the last week now. I've even had a dream that I went to a party, avoided all the main non-compliant foods, but then wandered off to a different room and started mindlessly snacking on some chocolate that was sitting out in a bowl. I woke up trying to figure out when I was going to restart and if there was a new support group starting around the same time that would be able to help with my restart. Luckily, it was all a dream. :lol: Sounds like it's not an uncommon experience for Whole30ers. 

I have no doubt you'll be feeling better in no time! Hope things turn around today. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, vankaypie said:

Yay for no trolls! Can't tell you how many times i'm excited about something, talk about it publicly, and am shut down. This will be a welcome, awesome change. 

I think my electrolytes are messed up. I'm definitely getting enough water, but probably not enough salt compared to that water intake (i'm estimating around 200 oz per day between water, decaf iced tea, and seltzer water -- i weigh 180lb). I had the same problem during pregnancy of bad water to salt ratio.

samples of what I've been eating:

4 eggs scrambled with a couple oz of chicken, grn and red bell peppers, onion, turnip greens, cooked in coconut or olive oil

pork tenderloin (palm sized) with salad (lettuce, avocado, tomato, primal kitchen dressing) and a sweet potato

homemade fijita beef with roasted peppers, onions, plus a spoonful of sunflower nut butter

chicken "tenders" (4 pieces) with sunflower nut butter, cucumbers and tomatoes in balsamic vinegar to fill my plate

I know the guideline really well -- read all of It Starts with Food and prepped for two weeks -- so I think i'm "doing it right." I haven't wanted much fruit, but a few times I've added it (blackberries, strawberries and 1 banana so far) to mealtimes. There's been a couple times when I was feeling kind of like a deflated balloon and coconut manna with strawberries helped a bit (i've done that twice.) 

I should probably focus today on getting enough salt with my food, and it's possible my healthy oil intake is too low. Do you have any other recommendations?

Lastly, as an update, my headache is better without Tylenol, and my muscles feel better after the banana. 

PS - I feel like I just hijacked this thread. Sorry if this is too off topic for the creator! :)

Your meals actually don't look too bad but you may want to consider switching out the nutbutter for a better fat source... You don't list your food by day, so I'm not sure if you're having it daily or multiple times a day but nuts, seeds and their butters are recommended to be limited... like a tablespoon of butter or a closed handful of nuts every other day at most.

Do you eat three meals a day as listed? 

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

Your meals actually don't look too bad but you may want to consider switching out the nutbutter for a better fat source... You don't list your food by day, so I'm not sure if you're having it daily or multiple times a day but nuts, seeds and their butters are recommended to be limited... like a tablespoon of butter or a closed handful of nuts every other day at most.

Do you eat three meals a day as listed? 

no, i was just trying to remember a few examples quickly [chicken was day 2, fajitas day 3]. good to know on the sunflower butter - I haven't had any today, so I'll skip it. i had forgotten that detail. 

decided to have some pickles (for salt), and a baked potato with ghee, and roasted cauliflower alongside my shrimp (in olive oil and coconut aminos) for lunch. thought that the pickles and potato specifically might help with the feeling off-balance. i looked at the timeline in your links and think i might just be going thru a day3/day4 at the same time.

thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I feel better just knowing that other people are out there, willing to help. :)

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, vankaypie said:

Ladies, 

WELCOME!!! 

Day 4 kicked my ass, so I completed GET IT!   I think people all experience detox differently depending on so many variables.   I've been through some DOOZIES.   I can promise though, it WILL get better.

and for real, don't ever worry about "hijacking"  We are all in this together girl!!!   We are allowed to talk about what ails us :) 

How's everyone's Day 5 (or whatever you're on)? ;) 

Thinking of you two and hoping you're still feeling confident. Husband and I are both definitely feeling the "kill all the things" right now, and our kid has picked up the vibe -- and joined right in! 

I was HUNGRY for breakfast and absolutely 0% of it tasted good to me. [shrug] hoping the naps over the next two days will make me less grumpy. :)

Tell me what you're eating today for inspiration, please! 

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind if I also join you! I just started today I am doing this by myself. My husband will eat what I cook and keep the sweets and other no-nos out of the house, but otherwise I'm doing it myself! I live in the Netherlands and don't speak much Dutch so I am struggling to find ingredients. I also have a really stressful full time job, so I won't have much time to make all of the broths and sauces that I would like to right away. I, unlike you guys, didn't really over prepare my house, but I know I can do this. I hoped I could join your thread for some encouragement! I have been really ill for a few months now and I hope that getting my stress level down combined with Whole 30 will make a difference!  

Anyway, it's nice to see you helping and encouraging each other! :) 

3 hours ago, vankaypie said:

How's everyone's Day 5 (or whatever you're on)? ;) 

Thinking of you two and hoping you're still feeling confident. Husband and I are both definitely feeling the "kill all the things" right now, and our kid has picked up the vibe -- and joined right in! 

I was HUNGRY for breakfast and absolutely 0% of it tasted good to me. [shrug] hoping the naps over the next two days will make me less grumpy. :)

Tell me what you're eating today for inspiration, please! 

I'm on Day 13 now! So close to halfway. :) I'm doing pretty well.  My sore throat has resolved itself into a stuffy nose, but the cold symptoms seem pretty mild as compared to most other colds I've had. I'm not hacking up a lung like my roommate has been doing for the last week, so I'm calling it a win. 

I'm sorry to hear that none of your food tasted good this morning. I've been loving most of what I've been eating lately:

Breakfast - approx 2 compliant chicken sausage links from Aidelles (sp?), 1 zucchini, 1/2 summer squash, mushrooms, and some mayo or avocado. Other mornings I'll do 2-3 eggs with another protein source (usually pork in some form - not bacon, bacon is a fat during whole30) with sauteed green peppers, onions, mushrooms and spinach. Add a fat too, of course. - I make all this ahead of time and just reheat in the mornings. I have no desire to try to cook in the AM. 

Lunch - yesterday was chicken salad made with homemade mayo, celery, grapes, green onions, served on a bed of greens + cucumber, red and green pepper. Today was leftover Thai Meatball Egg Drop Soup (so much spice and ginger, super good for my cold!) recipe: https://www.asaucykitchen.com/thai-meatball-and-egg-drop-soup/ It took a bit more prep than I'd normally do, but I loved it and it's a very satisfying soup. 

Dinner - yesterday was more leftover soup and today might be sloppy joes (recipe: http://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-sloppy-joe-bowls/) over baked potatoes

Hope this helps! I hear that it's not uncommon to lose your appetite for a bit. Keep eating at normal meal times and stick to the food template as much as possible and it'll come back. 

1 hour ago, KatieV said:

Hi All,

I hope you don't mind if I also join you! I just started today I am doing this by myself. My husband will eat what I cook and keep the sweets and other no-nos out of the house, but otherwise I'm doing it myself! I live in the Netherlands and don't speak much Dutch so I am struggling to find ingredients. I also have a really stressful full time job, so I won't have much time to make all of the broths and sauces that I would like to right away. I, unlike you guys, didn't really over prepare my house, but I know I can do this. I hoped I could join your thread for some encouragement! I have been really ill for a few months now and I hope that getting my stress level down combined with Whole 30 will make a difference!  

Anyway, it's nice to see you helping and encouraging each other! :) 

Welcome! It sounds like you're in a bit of a tough spot being in a country where you don't speak the language. I've made many meals where I don't rely on anything processed. Things like my egg breakfasts above and slow-cooked or pressure cooked meats with veggies + some fat should all be compliant and shouldn't require too much label reading. 

Hope the stress levels go down at work. That's definitely a huge contributor to quality of life, and not in a good way. Let us know how things go!

Hey ladies, 

Just wanted to pop by here and say that I hope you all are doing well with the Whole30. I cheer you on! Keep going! You can do it!

I am on Day 8 and struggling with a few random things. Didn't know I was going to feel (honestly) repulsed by meat, nauseous and sick to my stomach to see it. I posted on social media that Whole30 may turn me into a vegetarian. I never ate a ton of meat before, so this is a big change for me. Raw vegan is sounding pretty good right now. ;) Also having some female stuff happen, which makes me wonder if those hormones were also super out of whack, like my insulin/leptin/cortisol surely were. Hoping to feel a ton better by Day 14/15/16 ish. In good news, my energy levels are stable and I don't feel like eating crap all the time. Also, my candy day dreams have stopped! Hooray!

Here's wishing all of you the best -- if you're having GOOD days on this journey, I would love to hear about them. Or if you wanna tell some jokes. Or post some cat gifs. Just saying. :lol:

6 hours ago, vankaypie said:

Hey ladies, 

Just wanted to pop by here and say that I hope you all are doing well with the Whole30. I cheer you on! Keep going! You can do it!

I am on Day 8 and struggling with a few random things. Didn't know I was going to feel (honestly) repulsed by meat, nauseous and sick to my stomach to see it. I posted on social media that Whole30 may turn me into a vegetarian. I never ate a ton of meat before, so this is a big change for me. Raw vegan is sounding pretty good right now. ;) Also having some female stuff happen, which makes me wonder if those hormones were also super out of whack, like my insulin/leptin/cortisol surely were. Hoping to feel a ton better by Day 14/15/16 ish. In good news, my energy levels are stable and I don't feel like eating crap all the time. Also, my candy day dreams have stopped! Hooray!

Here's wishing all of you the best -- if you're having GOOD days on this journey, I would love to hear about them. Or if you wanna tell some jokes. Or post some cat gifs. Just saying. :lol:

Sounds like you've got some good and some bad. I think that happens for a while on the Whole30. Focus on the good! Yay for no more candy day dreams! I'm not there yet...I'm day dreaming about doughnuts right now. :unsure: Sorry to hear that you're not loving eating meat. Would you prefer to eat more eggs rather than meat all the time? Are you eating a variety of meats? I get sick of the high fat meats like steak and pork if I eat them too many days in a row. I try to balance them with some fish, chicken and turkey when I can. I also try to make sure that veggies are the largest portion of anything that I eat. I had an amazing garden salad this afternoon with about 4-5 cups of greens, green pepper, orange pepper, cucumber, and radishes with some evoo and balsamic vinegar. So good! My protein was some pork, so the salad balanced that out nicely.

There are some threads on the female issues in the 'Ladies Only' section of the forum. I found it helpful. Apparently a lot of people experience some changes while on the Whole30. I'll admit to being disheartened by the cold I had recently, so I understand how it can be tough to not feel well while you're doing something that is supposed to be making changes for good! Hope things get better. :) 

I feel like I'm close to all the energy and tiger blood, but I'm just not quite there yet. I'm sure it's coming though!

Hope everyone else is doing well. 

Sorry ladies!  Life has been INSANE!!!   I forget what day I'm on now.. I think 9 or 10????   I'm plugging through.   Poor planning a couple of times has left me STARVING for hours on end, but I got through without eating anything I shouldn't.    I have a hockey tournament in Atlanta this weekend, so I'm planning on taking a bunch of cooked proteins and salads in jars with me, so I have food... hoping to not have to eat out.  I feel like that is a land mine scenario.

Glad to see you're still with us!  Day 9 here. :) 

Chipotle carnitas on salad with pico de gallo and guacamole prevented my starvation the other day! (Please don't take my word for it that it's compliant, I am 98% sure it is, but wouldn't want to lead you astray. Check the forums and don't let me be the reason you slip.) 

My crazy week has included a kid covered from eyebrows to shins in poison ivy and tomorrow I get scans for kidney stones and ovarian cysts. Fun! ;) Not sure if the better eating has brought on these symptoms, but there here, nonetheless. I'm not sorry I'm doing Whole30, even with this development.  I am so happy that my energy levels and mood have leveled out completely. No more sugar cravings. That's one of the biggest things I was hoping to end, and so far, so good. 

Wishing you luck on your journey to ATL and that you stay on track with all your eating. You can do it!

How's everyone else doing? 

12 minutes ago, ncgoaliemom said:

I have a hockey tournament in Atlanta this weekend, so I'm planning on taking a bunch of cooked proteins and salads in jars with me, so I have food... hoping to not have to eat out.  I feel like that is a land mine scenario.

I am out of town this weekend too and I am stress shopping! I figured I can have boiled eggs and fruit for breakfast and I got loads of snacks to combine for lunch (fruit/ seed bars, jerky, sausage, nuts, dried fruits) and I am hoping a salad for dinner will work. Maybe bringing some things like that will also put your mind at ease? You're so lucky you can bring things with you! I'm flying :( Hope the tourney (and the W30) goes well! 

1 minute ago, vankaypie said:

I'm not sorry I'm doing Whole30, even with this development.  I am so happy that my energy levels and mood have leveled out completely. No more sugar cravings. That's one of the biggest things I was hoping to end, and so far, so good. 

That is so awesome! Glad you're sticking to and and hopefully will be feeling much better in the near future! 

On May 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM, KatieV said:

I am out of town this weekend too and I am stress shopping! I figured I can have boiled eggs and fruit for breakfast and I got loads of snacks to combine for lunch (fruit/ seed bars, jerky, sausage, nuts, dried fruits) and I am hoping a salad for dinner will work. Maybe bringing some things like that will also put your mind at ease? You're so lucky you can bring things with you! I'm flying :( Hope the tourney (and the W30) goes well! 

I'm taking boiled eggs, precooked turkey sausage I made, salads in jars, whole 30 salad dressing I made, then almond butter, apples and almonds as snacks.  I'm hoping it keeps me in the clear.  My daughter has to play on two different teams, so I will be at the rink for 12 plus hours a day.  I've got a little snack bag to take with that is insulated to keep me on track!

On another note - my energy level is starting to take off.   My  edema that has been chronic in my legs since I had c-diff back in November is reduced by well over 50%.   I cheated and got on the scale this morning mod edit to remove scale discussion I didn't start this as a weight loss plan (even though I desperately need t lose weight), but more a fix my broken body so I can workout again to lose weight... but I'll take the loss.  I suspect it's a direct side effect of the reduced edema.  

Everyone is trying to get me to have a cocktail this weekend, since it's one of the coaches 21st birthday.... and I briefly thought about it... a good quality clear tequila in a stevia sweetened soda... but I just can't see a reason to break my streak for the sake of a cocktail. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, vankaypie said:

Glad to see you're still with us!  Day 9 here. :) 

Chipotle carnitas on salad with pico de gallo and guacamole prevented my starvation the other day! (Please don't take my word for it that it's compliant, I am 98% sure it is, but wouldn't want to lead you astray. Check the forums and don't let me be the reason you slip.) 

My crazy week has included a kid covered from eyebrows to shins in poison ivy and tomorrow I get scans for kidney stones and ovarian cysts. Fun! ;) Not sure if the better eating has brought on these symptoms, but there here, nonetheless. I'm not sorry I'm doing Whole30, even with this development.  I am so happy that my energy levels and mood have leveled out completely. No more sugar cravings. That's one of the biggest things I was hoping to end, and so far, so good. 

Wishing you luck on your journey to ATL and that you stay on track with all your eating. You can do it!

How's everyone else doing? 

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  I've had both (stones and cysts) and neither are remotely pleasant.   I hope you get answers (and relief) SOON!

Archived