Feeling Very Weak

I am new to Whole30, I'm a breastfeeding mom of a 10 week old, and I am on Day 3. My husband and I are doing this together.

As my supply has been low, I do think that I'm not eating enough. I just read last night in the forums that I should be eating 4 meals a day instead of 3, so I will be adding a 4th meal today. I was eating snacks such as almonds, fruit, tuna, and carrots with cauliflower hummus, but it might not have been enough.

Today was the second day I woke up feeling awful. I wake up with my body feeling burning hot, yet clammy at the same time, even though our house is at 69 degrees. I feel very lightheaded and shaky. I do not know if this is attributed to not eating enough, or if it is a withdrawl from sugar and/or low blood sugar. I ate a lot of sugar before which is why I'm doing this. I have eaten some fruit when feeling this way, and it gets better. My husband feels fine, and he has been eating less than I have since he's only eating his three meals. 

I'm just looking for advice or some answers to where the weak feeling is coming from if anyone else has experienced this.

Thank you!

• Administrators

No one here is a medical professional so if you are concerned, please go see a doctor. That said, weakness is usually a sign of under-eating. Can you list out your past three days of meals and the snacks you were having (include portion sizes) so that we can take a look and see if we can help you to troubleshoot?

Monday:

poached egg, sautéed spinach, and fruit

tuna

salad with bacon and hard boiled egg

apple

jamaican jerk salmon with mango salsa (from Whole30 cookbook)

sweet potatoes chips that we made

Tuesday:

grapes to try to get the weak feeling to go away

sweet potatoe hashbrowns, over easy egg, avacado

Chicken salad with mixed greens

almonds

bison burgers with Brussels sprouts and shallots

(I was on the go a lot yesterday, so I know I probably didn't get enough.)

Today's Plan:

grapes again early this morning

2 hard boiled eggs, asparagus, strawberries, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

tuna, carrots and cauliflower hummus, avocado

salad with hard boiled egg and bacon and avocado

fruit and almonds

left over bison burgers, and going to add a sweet potato tonight

I've been drinking water all day each day, and I'm going to try drinking coconut milk throughout the day today too.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Cmorro said:

Monday:

MEAL 1 - poached egg, sautéed spinach, and fruit
SNACK - tuna
MEAL 2 - salad with bacon and hard boiled egg
SNACK - apple
MEAL 3 - jamaican jerk salmon with mango salsa (from Whole30 cookbook)
SNACK - sweet potatoes chips that we made

Tuesday:

SNACK - grapes to try to get the weak feeling to go away
MEAL 1 - sweet potatoe hashbrowns, over easy egg, avacado
MEAL 2 - Chicken salad with mixed greens
SNACK - almonds
MEAL 3 - bison burgers with Brussels sprouts and shallots

(I was on the go a lot yesterday, so I know I probably didn't get enough.)

Today's Plan:

SNACK - grapes again early this morning
MEAL 1 - 2 hard boiled eggs, asparagus, strawberries, avocado, coffee with coconut milk
SNACK - tuna, carrots and cauliflower hummus, avocado
MEAL 2 - salad with hard boiled egg and bacon and avocado
SNACK - fruit and almonds
MEAL 3 - left over bison burgers, and going to add a sweet potato tonight

I've been drinking water all day each day, and I'm going to try drinking coconut milk throughout the day today too.

OK, this was a bit hard to read through but I've tried to seperate into meals and snacks to better get an understanding of what you've been doing. You have a weak feeling because you are not eating enough for a regular human being, let alone one that is keeping an infant alive with her own body and recovering from growing/birthing that infant. Really. 

I've adjusted your "today's plan" to be more in keeping with appropriate consumption for your situation:

MEAL 1 - Asparagus, shredded carrot (veggies totalling around 2 cups) and chopped chicken thigh(s) sauteed and topped with 2-3 eggs and some avocado. Strawberries and coffee
MEAL 2 - Can of tuna (yes, the entire thing), mixed with homemade mayo and chopped pickles put over a baked potato. 
MEAL 3 - 3 egg omelette stuffed with whatever leftover veggies you have, topped with sliced tomato & drizzled with ghee
MEAL 4 - bison burger (at least your palm sized) with roasted sweet potato "fries" and greek style salad. Homemade mayo to dip the fries.

Between these meals you could eat if you are hungry. Not grazing, but actual eating. Hard boiled eggs or a can of olives or sipping on coconut milk. 

You really need to eat more food. Eggs, as their own protein, are a serving size of as many as you can hold in your hand at one time. So start with at least 3-4. All other proteins are meant to be 1-2 palms sized. That's the length, width and thickness of your own palm. Then add 2-3 cups of veggies. Much more if it's salad greens. And finally top it all with ample fat. Homemade mayo, whole avocados, heaping handfuls of olives, 1-2 tbsp ghee.

Thank you! I will adjust and try this. I guess this just seems like a lot of food to me. Not because I'm worried about calories or over eating,  but because I'm never this hungry. I am thinking I'll just have to set alarms and make myself eat, and maybe my body will adjust to it. 

Thank you so much!

• Administrators

I think it's fairly safe to say you probably cannot trust your hunger signals since, if you were relying just on them, you would continue on being weak, lightheaded and unwell. ;) Having incorrect hunger signals is pretty common so at the very, very least, please make sure you eat at least 3 template meals a day. You will probably need more to feel your best, hunger signals aside for now.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

At 10 weeks postpartum I was still having all sorts of body temp wackiness - I routinely was soaking the bed at night sweating... I don't know when it stopped exactly (I'm 4.5 months PP now and no more weird temp issues!) but that *might* not be W30 related.  The lightheaded stuff... that could be :) 

Definitely eat more! It does seem like you have to eat an enormous amount, but after a few days your appetite catches up to the amount you are supposed to be eating. I also found that I personally needed carb rich veggies - things like sweet potatoes and butternut squash - at nearly every meal at first. And load up on the fat! It makes a huge difference. 

Archived