Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Heather:

I am new also and my commit date is also June 1!  I was at a dinner post-funeral of a very dear friend and my friend Barbie with whom I drove was refusing all sorts of goodies.  That is how I found out about it.  Then I got the book, The Whole 30 from the library.  I am also on page 20.  

I know this is the answer to soooo many issues of mine.  I can't start sooner because I have to get a car first; mine broke down completely just yesterday and I am waiting for money to arrive in my account.  Meanwhile I am reading and eating up what I can.  And planning and preparing.

If you want we can be same start-date buddies!

Jane

Me too! Start date 6/1 and I also have been gathering incredible recipes.  Got my shopping list ready and have been cleaning out and using up stuff inthe fridge and pantry.  I am off bread entirely already because just after 1 day I had a bad reaction when I used up something around here.  Decided that wasn't worth it.  And I have given up cheese and milk, all dairy really.  I have greater energy in just a week but still have sinus issues.  Keep in touch, we can be start date buddies!  Jane3797

@Jane3797 I think one of the craziest things (so far, as I'm reading labels) is that sugar is in everything. It's hiding in places you wouldn't expect. I haven't cleaned out my cabinets just yet. I haven't decided what to do with off-plan items. I think it's best to just toss it so I won't be tempted to eat something I shouldn't. Just like you, I don't include dairy since I think it upsets my stomach and wrecks havoc on my skin. However, I'm excited for my non-scale victories.

Hello all!  

I'm glad to see that there are others starting on June 1.  That's my "official" start day but I'm taking steps to eat that way now while I'm in the zone.  I'm hoping I could join in here  with a small supportive group. 

A bit about me.  I've started other Whole30s in the past - 3 to be exact - but I've only finished one.  I got really good results on them though and I learned a lot and have changed my eating habits significantly.  I started about 3 1/2 years ago.

My mother got ill and I've spent the last two years flying back and fourth to the US (from Australia) and helping her through a very bad illness that resulted in her passing away.  During that time, I went back to a lot of comfort foods.  I'm back in Australia where those foods are not readily available (we have others :P ) But I'm ready to get back to my good health. 

Would love to join in. :)

Hi Shawnni:  First I want to say that I am deeply sorry for the loss of your mother.  Thank the good universe (or God if you will) that you were able to be with her some of her last days.

Yes we'll be starting together on 6/1 and I also have begun certain changes.  I gave up legumes completely because a few months back I tried going vegan and ate a lot of various beans for protein, and although in small quantities to start I immediately had incredible intestinal issues.  So glad to forgo those entirely, and peas as well.  And glad to have been given an explanation as to the cause of that.  Secondly I stopped all dairy including cheese, but the main change was cow's milk in my green tea all day long.  I noticed after about a week of both of these changes my urine smelled very sweetish and then that ceased.  I am going to say it must be a good sign.  Also I believe I may have discontinued all sugar but continue a tiny amount of stevia in my teas to cut the bitterness; that is going to be difficult to overcome.  Lastly I have been using up items around the house to be thrifty but when I ate grains after just one day off I suffered with the feeling of a lead ball in my belly.  Amazing how these things have gone over our heads for so long.  I never knew I was so food-sensitive.

My shopping list is complete and the pantry stuff ordered online.  For everyone's information you can save 25-30% in real price reductions online if you buy from Thrive Market.  I was driving 23 miles to the nearest health food super market (although my Stop N' Shop on Long Island, USA has been stocking more and more organic produce and a health food section; they even have fertilized eggs), but at premium prices.  I recently placed a $328 order on Thrive Market and saved $171 (for this program).  Anything over $49 is free shipping.  I know these savings to be real because I have been shopping health food products and organics for several years.  You are also given an option to contribute some of your savings to needy families.  I like companies who do this.  Also if you share with friends and they reveal that you recommended them, you will get I think $25 per friend.  I honestly did not mean for this to be a pitch for either them or myself, but now that I have informed everyone, hopefully it will be for the good of all.  

I am also beginning to sleep better, but still awaken 2-3 times a night.  Let me know how you're doing.  Jane3797

@cristinamt:  It's bee n hard for me to eliminate the food items off the program only because my son lives upstairs but cooks separately, and sometimes I cook for him.  But to be safe I have taken a lot of it up therefor him and am keeping only those things I would like to try to introduce back into my diet.  I am betting it is all going to be a no-go.   I studied the blood type diets and found that out of the 4, blood type A's have major issues with many, many common foods.  I ignored a lot of this and suffered the consequences.  If I can perfect the entire picture due to Whole30, and I believe  can, I should be in incredible shape for my age.  Especially if I can overcome the emotional crutch I have designed for food.  When all else is mastered, hopefully this will follow naturally.  Best to you!  Jane3797

ps pic of me 4 years ago, age 61

IMG_0001.JPG

Thank you @Jane3797 for your kind and supportive words. :) I appreciate them so much.  Yes, indeed thank the good universe.  It was a journey I needed to travel as much as she needed me to be there for her.  Ever so hard though and some days it still is.  

I think I will be prepping some bone broth for myself.  It's been a long time since I have had any and my body is craving it's comfort.  

I had the book of the blood type diet 20+ years ago but I didn't read it entirely and never got to the type 0+ information.  Maybe I'll see if my local library has it so I can research myself.  

I've managed to give up milk in my coffee and sugar but I haven't had the opportunity to find bacon without sugar and other rubbish in it.  I think I will have to resort to making my own pulled pork so I can have that with breakfast.  I also need to let go of the eating just before bed.  

My lead belly is also subsiding with the transition to gluten free bread Jane but I can't help but intuitively feel I will feel much better when I let all of the grains go.  Must get my day started. Thank you, both Jane and @cristinamt for replying. :)

Just briefly wish to add that the blood type info is improved with the edition, Live Right for Your Type.  That info has been a great base and solid groundwork for the current (and final, life changing) Whole30 programm.  Prayers have been answered.

Hi Heather, welcome and congratulations on your commitment.  I look forward to hearing what you think of the real plan program.  I'm used to making up my own plans, rather enjoy it, so I'm not ready to try something new just yet although I'm intrigued.  

I've done 4 Whole30s over the past several years so this one will be my 5th and the preparation part seems so easy and automatic for me compared to what I went through as I prepared to do my first one.  I learned a lot and maintained so much of it as a permanent part of my diet.    

@Ginsky I've begun planning my first week of Whole 30 with Real Plans. To confess, I am not much of a meal planner. I've always been the kind of just wing it, but as it's been stated before in the book... you must plan ahead. I'm really impressed with the ease of planning my meals. There are so many recipes to choose from! I like that I can adjust the serving sizes too. I'm cooking for one sometimes, and other times it's for my boyfriend and I. Every week, I receive a custom shopping list proving me with what ingredients I need. If I already have those, I can check them off in the shopping list. So far, I'm really impressed with them.

On 2017-5-26 at 1:53 PM, cristinamt said:

@Ginsky I've begun planning my first week of Whole 30 with Real Plans. To confess, I am not much of a meal planner. I've always been the kind of just wing it, but as it's been stated before in the book... you must plan ahead. I'm really impressed with the ease of planning my meals. There are so many recipes to choose from! I like that I can adjust the serving sizes too. I'm cooking for one sometimes, and other times it's for my boyfriend and I. Every week, I receive a custom shopping list proving me with what ingredients I need. If I already have those, I can check them off in the shopping list. So far, I'm really impressed with them.

Hey! Im starting on June 1st myself! Happy to be a part of this thread. Can I ask where are you getting your meal plans? Are you just using the book for the recipes or is "Real Plans" a thing? Thanks :-)

@Trev I'm getting the recipes from the original guide as well as the cookbook, plus any menu items that sound yummy from the Real Plans service. There's also an app too, but just note there's a fee to use their plan specifically for the Whole 30. You can use your own recipes too by importing them. 

Wow I am so happy to have so many others starting on June 1.  I started out reading The Whole30 and got side-tracked into googling breakfast recipes.  Then I got back to the book and came across so many recipes in there.  This is a library book but I am going to have to buy it.  Unless someone can recommend a better compilation?  Like the actual book of recipes?  I looked into RealPlans but am not sure this will be necessary; however I may try it later.  I put a picture of the meal template on my refrigerator as well as a chart I got through googling showing 3 categories of fruits and vegetables according to their FODMAP rating of Safe, Be Careful, Avoid to further improve my food choices.  I also put a picture of a younger me, healthier, happier, and in better form to utilize the 'vision board' concept.  

I got my supplies, both pantry and fresh, and starting today will be cooking and freezing or otherwise preserving some of these vegetables.  (Some will survive for quite a while in a pitcher of water in the fridge.). Last but not least I am reorganizing my kitchen because of limited counter space and I have noticed an increase in washing dishes, etc.  not complaining but want to get a jump on that.

I found a really neat explanation of the difference of the body utilizing fat as energy versus a higher carb traditional diet utilizing glucose.  I will upload the file from my phone in a few.

Have fun!

Jane3797

@Jane3797 it sounds like you're almost ready to kick off your Whole 30, but being prepared is the first step. I too saved the meal template guide, and often refer to it when planning my menu for the first few days. Also, I spend and live part-time with my significant other on the weekends. Part of my preparation is bringing key ingredients to his place to stay on track. I haven't cleaned out my pantry yet. That's next. 

I'm not as busy as it sounds like you are.  That is extra effort to get things over there so you can continue on the weekend.  You will be a power of example though when things get better for you.  I downloaded the metabolism explanation.  Let me know what you think. 

Have a great holiday!

Jane3797

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jane3797 said:

I'm not as busy as it sounds like you are.  That is extra effort to get things over there so you can continue on the weekend.  You will be a power of example though when things get better for you.  I downloaded the metabolism explanation.  Let me know what you think. 

Have a great holiday!

Jane3797

Hey there - We don't promote Keto for the Whole30 as we are not a 'low carb' plan.  The recommendation is to eat a fist sized serving of starchy carb at least once a day and it's not exactly a high fat plan either when meals are composed according to the template.  

• Moderators
6 hours ago, cristinamt said:

@Trev I'm getting the recipes from the original guide as well as the cookbook, plus any menu items that sound yummy from the Real Plans service. There's also an app too, but just note there's a fee to use their plan specifically for the Whole 30. You can use your own recipes too by importing them. 

Just a note that while there are Whole30 recipes on the Real Plans app, it's not a Whole30 app.

Hi all, I'm back from a lovely girls weekend and so so ready to start.  I look forward to prepping and planning these next few days. 

I kind of wish we had Real Plans in Australia it would make things easier but since I work from home and DH is retried I'm just being slack. Ha! 

@Trev are you anywhere Enniskillen? I have friends there but mostly all over. They are creatives. :)

I will be starting June 1 as well!  I'm excited, although realistic that I will struggle many days with the elimination of grains, cheese, and wine.  I won't be able to clear out my cupboards because my husband and daughter still want the crackers, breads, and dairy in the house.  I'm worried about my ability to bypass them on the difficult days!

Archived