Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

@Jahupla I think the best thing to do is to remember why you started. It might be hard to clean out the cabinets completely, but maybe make a section just for you. Don't be tempted to eat things that will only set you back from reaching your best self. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, I am also planning to start on 1st June. This will be my first go and up until today I was feeling really excited and confident about it but today I am actually quite fearful! So I thought joining the forum might help. I am 30 and live in Scotland and I have PCOS so I am doing the Whole30 to try and heal my body. I suffer with bad inflammation and we are also keen to have a baby so hoping this will fix my cycle. Look forward to getting to know you all :)

7 hours ago, Jahupla said:

I will be starting June 1 as well!  I'm excited, although realistic that I will struggle many days with the elimination of grains, cheese, and wine.  I won't be able to clear out my cupboards because my husband and daughter still want the crackers, breads, and dairy in the house.  I'm worried about my ability to bypass them on the difficult days!

Hi Jahupla, I am in the same boat as you, my husband isn't going to be fully following the plan with me so there will still be bread and cheese in the house and that will be a struggle for me - my default is always toast and cheese!!! 

10 hours ago, Jahupla said:

I will be starting June 1 as well!  I'm excited, although realistic that I will struggle many days with the elimination of grains, cheese, and wine.  I won't be able to clear out my cupboards because my husband and daughter still want the crackers, breads, and dairy in the house.  I'm worried about my ability to bypass them on the difficult days!

I can relate. My husband and sons will still be eating all things. On my first Whole 30 I put all those things in a cupboard, to them where it was and willed. Yield nt to go in that cupboard- kind of out of sight out of mind.

Hope you find what works for you. 

3 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

Hi everyone, I am also planning to start on 1st June. This will be my first go and up until today I was feeling really excited and confident about it but today I am actually quite fearful! So I thought joining the forum might help. I am 30 and live in Scotland and I have PCOS so I am doing the Whole30 to try and heal my body. I suffer with bad inflammation and we are also keen to have a baby so hoping this will fix my cycle. Look forward to getting to know you all :)

Hello, glad your here. I hope you find a lot of support here and that the Whole 30 will help you achieve what you want. :wub:

11 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Hi all, I'm back from a lovely girls weekend and so so ready to start.  I look forward to prepping and planning these next few days. 

I kind of wish we had Real Plans in Australia it would make things easier but since I work from home and DH is retried I'm just being slack. Ha! 

@Trev are you anywhere Enniskillen? I have friends there but mostly all over. They are creatives. :)

I am about 1hr and 30 mins from there :-) I will also be planning heavily over the next few days for the big start on Thursday! The cooking is going to kill me lol.

11 hours ago, Jahupla said:

You will! I have faith in you :-)

I also share a house so "cleaning" the cupboards isnt really an option. I can however be extremely strong willed when I want to be, and can apply a mental block. Maybe you could do something like this too? Have faith in yourself :-)

On 2017-5-20 at 0:39 AM, Heatherhms said:

Hey guys! I'm am committing to my start date on June 1st. Just bought the Whole 30 book on pg 20 and decided to join the form!

Hey Heather how's the planning going?? :)

3 minutes ago, cristinamt said:

@Trev good mindset to be in. 

Thanks :-) Although I am secretly freaking out about the shopping and making things in the kitchen part... I feel utterly under qualified...I feel its going to be a real struggle :o

@cristinamt As you pointed out in another post, there appears to be quite a number of people starting their Whole30 journey on June 1st. Do you think it would be an idea creating one single post, and have everyone post their progress in there? Is that allowed I wonder? It would certainly make monitoring everyone elses progress easier than having to look through loads of posts :)

3 minutes ago, cristinamt said:

@Trev I don't know if @SugarcubeOD can merge all the posts of the same date or not. 

No I mean to create a brand new thread, for people to post in going forward. As its still before our start date. It's just an idea. Perhaps some people would like their own threads.

27 minutes ago, cristinamt said:

@Trev I've been told you should look for common threads before starting your own. If you want your own thread, that can be done in the Whole 30 logs. It's too difficult to keep up with the same posting for the same start date. 

Im not sure were on the same page lol. People aready have their own threads, including myself. My idea was to create a thread and call it something like "For all those starting the program on June 1st" and have everyone post in it. Surely it would be easier for people to support each other and keep up to date with each others progress in one single thread like this, rather than have to dip into all the individual threads to offer / receive support no?

3 hours ago, Shawnni said:

I can relate. My husband and sons will still be eating all things. On my first Whole 30 I put all those things in a cupboard, to them where it was and willed. Yield nt to go in that cupboard- kind of out of sight out of mind.

Hope you find what works for you. 

Wow, Sorry @Jahupla let me try that again.  (I should know better than to post before my first morning coffee, HA!)  "I put all those things in a cupboard, to them where it was and willed MYSELF NOT to go in that cupboard"

2 hours ago, Trev said:

I am about 1hr and 30 mins from there :-) I will also be planning heavily over the next few days for the big start on Thursday! The cooking is going to kill me lol.

@TrevWOW!  Nice! :)  I hope to get there one of these days (meaning the next 3 years)   Yes the cooking can be a challenge, It's, for this reason, I really enjoy having a slow cooker/crockpot and I have a few tools that will help to make the veg prep simple.  I stick to very simple things (as most of us do) and I make several weeks up to have ahead for my "emergency" kit.

And yes a very good mindset to be in.  

In regard to the shopping.  I use this.  It's from the Whole30 website and I have found it very helpful over the years.  I've laminated mine and use dry erase markers to tick and flick then take a photo with my phone and go to the shops.  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf 

I'm not sure about the thread though.  I haven't been here for a while and I'm finding getting used to this a tiny bit of a challenge.  Maybe a new thread on the Whole 30 Log forum but I do see that there is already one there.    If a new one is created though, tag me as I am keen. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Trev said:

Im not sure were on the same page lol. People aready have their own threads, including myself. My idea was to create a thread and call it something like "For all those starting the program on June 1st" and have everyone post in it. Surely it would be easier for people to support each other and keep up to date with each others progress in one single thread like this, rather than have to dip into all the individual threads to offer / receive support no?

Hey!

I totally get what you're saying, but we generally don't do that... each 'group' gets their own group culture, personality and we like to encourage people to join the one that fits them best... that and having a massive thread means that a lot of questions and concerns would go unanswered because the mods wouldn't be able to keep up as easily.  If you would like to change the title of this thread, we can certainly do that :)  Did I understand what you were saying?

7 hours ago, Trev said:

I think it's a great idea.... or be like me and just randomly pick someone to read. I'm horrible with keeping up with people.

Hi everyone

I'm planning on starting this Thursday as well! I'm so glad to have so much company.

I'm Jewish, and we have a holiday on Wednesday. The custom is to eat dairy food, cheesecakes and similar. So I decided I wouldn't make things extra hard for myself and I'll start the next day. 

I had Gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy (my baby is 4 months), and my sugar has stayed high afterwards. So I really need to reset my body with healthy choices and hopefully build good new habits for myself.

It's been hard to do prep with other preparation for the holiday, plus it's my daughter's birthday today. But I don't want to push off my starting day, especially with so many others starting at the same time.

Can't wait to get started!

10 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey!

I totally get what you're saying, but we generally don't do that... each 'group' gets their own group culture, personality and we like to encourage people to join the one that fits them best... that and having a massive thread means that a lot of questions and concerns would go unanswered because the mods wouldn't be able to keep up as easily.  If you would like to change the title of this thread, we can certainly do that :)  Did I understand what you were saying?

Hey. Ah that's no problem. Yes you understood correctly and I understand your answer. It was just an idea :-)

Strategies…  I'm already thinking of strategies for my most challenging times.  3pm and bedtime.  I've decided water will be my go to item.  I have a 750ml bottle and a 1000ml bottle to help me stay on target.  My daily goal of water is at least 3 litres. 

What challenges to you foresee and what's your strategy? 

5 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

Strategies…  I'm already thinking of strategies for my most challenging times.  3pm and bedtime.  I've decided water will be my go to item.  I have a 750ml bottle and a 1000ml bottle to help me stay on target.  My daily goal of water is at least 3 litres. 

What challenges to you foresee and what's your strategy? 

My biggest challenge is making time in the morning for breakfast! I have never been a morning person and it's only in the past year that I have committed to having breakfast every morning (although not very nutritious!!!!). So the biggest challenge will be being up and making time to eat properly. I had a trial run this morning which went well but I know there will be mornings where I struggle. I have spread my hours at work over an extra day so I don't need to start until a little later so that should help and I also plan to keep some hard boiled eggs and veg sticks always in the fridge so that if I need to grab and run then I can.

I've attached a wee pic of my trial run, I'm not sure if I am lacking in healthy fat though? I obviously used cooking fat for the eggs and then had some unsweetened, compliant almond milk in my coffee? Thoughts are gratefully received!

w30 practice.jpg

31 minutes ago, HopingtoHeal said:

My biggest challenge is making time in the morning for breakfast! I have never been a morning person and it's only in the past year that I have committed to having breakfast every morning (although not very nutritious!!!!). So the biggest challenge will be being up and making time to eat properly. I had a trial run this morning which went well but I know there will be mornings where I struggle. I have spread my hours at work over an extra day so I don't need to start until a little later so that should help and I also plan to keep some hard boiled eggs and veg sticks always in the fridge so that if I need to grab and run then I can.

I've attached a wee pic of my trial run, I'm not sure if I am lacking in healthy fat though? I obviously used cooking fat for the eggs and then had some unsweetened, compliant almond milk in my coffee? Thoughts are gratefully received!

w30 practice.jpg

Looks like a great start well done! Can I ask, what did you use for your cooking fat? 

@Kaylee1:  Welcome and enjoy your holiday.  It sounds like you have a lot on your plate (no pun intended) but I admire your courage.  I started prepping nearly 2 weeks ago and feel very organized, but needed to do it that way.  No matter when you start, I find that there is a lot of support here.  Best wishes to you and your new baby.  See you around!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

w30 practice.jpg

You can definitely add a fat to this meal - the bacon counts for some, but I'd probably throw a few olives or a 1/4 avocado on there.  We generally don't count cooking fat as much stays in the pan and unless your coffee is superhumanly strong, the color tells me you didn't use a ton of almond milk.  Bacon normally is considered a fat but this particular kind is more meat than fat, so you could do with a bit more. Looks delish tho!

Archived