Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

2 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Looks like my ninja blender does indeed give a creamier mayo.  The stick blender does a great job but the ninja still beats it.  I will probably use the stick blender much of the time since it's a faster process plus easier clean up.  

Nothing beats the ninja!

@C. Page I had a "nightmare" last night that I ate something non compliant. I was devastated to have to start over on Day 25. I was SO relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream!

5 days to go everyone, whoooohooo!!!!!!

How is everything planning on handling the reintroduction phase? Im torn between following the plan exactly in the book and just trying things as they come up.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first chance to get back on the pc in a few days. Tough thing this week was I didn't really plan the meals.  I only bought a few proteins and veggies that I thought would work.  The good thing was it was cheaper than fully planned out meals.  The bad thing was my meals were on the light side and not well rounded, so I was hungry sooner.  I also had a break out, which I haven't had in a long time.  Only one, but it's not going away anytime soon.  I think I read HopingtoHeal had a breakout too?  It was fairly disappointing.  But, oh well.  I tried to figure out why I got it.  Everything I ate the previous couple of days are part of my regular diet.  I also just finished my time of the month - so maybe that was it.  

Another negative is that I have had a lack of energy this week.  For a couple of days I just wanted to sleep.  This also unexpected since this is suppose to be Tiger Blood week.  But, maybe it's due to my not meal planning and eating lighter than usual. 

On Father's Day we went out to brunch at a seafood restaurant.  I wanted to have some sort of grilled fish, but there was none on the menu since it was brunch.  I had oysters with (compliant) house-made horseradish, and compliant ceviche.  It was disappointing that at a seafood restaurant, these two items were the only compliant options.  I expected to have more choices.

On my son's 22nd birthday, we went out to Saltgrass.  This was tougher than expected also.  I found out the baked sweet potato is rolled in bacon fat.  So my meal consisted of a dry grilled steak and steamed veggies.  The difference between my steak and everyone else's was very obvious.  Their steaks looked brown and juicy with beautiful grill marks.  My steak was pale and was pretty bland since I had to ask for no seasoning.  I added my own salt & pepper and it was pretty good.  

I can't say I'm looking forward to the end of my Whole30, which the exception of adding wine or a cocktail.  Ok.  

3 minutes ago, Fiddi said:

It was disappointing that at a seafood restaurant, these two items were the only compliant options.  I expected to have more choices.

I feel your pain.  I wish I had better words of wisdom than to lower your expectations - but I've learned, and accepted this.

I have also learned to bring my own salad dressing to restaurants and use that on meat when necessary.  I've gotten used to the looks :)  

jb

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Fiddi said:

Another negative is that I have had a lack of energy this week.  For a couple of days I just wanted to sleep.  This also unexpected since this is suppose to be Tiger Blood week.  But, maybe it's due to my not meal planning and eating lighter than usual. 

Ya, so this is absolutely related to your not eating enough... and if you did that for an entire week where you didn't eat template meals, your body is going to start to conserve energy for vital functions.  Tiger blood week is not guaranteed regardless of what you eat.. if you eat low volume, lots of fruit and nuts on their own (not saying you did, just giving all the info for others reading), skip meals etc... you absolutely will not feel good. 'Tiger Blood' is actually the result of fat adaptation... you can't acheive this if you spend a week undereating... 

8 hours ago, Ginsky said:

I'm sorry to hear about the tomatoes. I was thinking of doing an AIP Whole30 later this year.  I also have nightshade issues and have to avoid having too much or too many over the course of a week or so. 

Haven't resisted putting tomato on my plate this morning, I won't wear any make up today and see if skin is as fierce this evening. Hopeful it is something other than the tomatoes! Looking at my meal plan they feature on about 60% of our meals!!!

Have been busy this morning making a new batch of "perfect sausages" and sweet potato home fries - it will make the rest of the week easier but this morning it's taken time and thought. I've also thrown some chopped veg into the slow cooker with a couple of pints of water so I have some veg stock when I get home - it won't really have long enough but I realised I am all out of stock and we need it for tonight's dinner! Determined not to trip up in these last 5 days!

@WholeCourtney Amazing to hear you're going to miss the rules!  It does keep things kind of simple, and it helps having such an active bunch of forum buddies all doing the same.  I tried the slow roll version last Whole30 and it actually seemed harder, because I waited for situations to arise - and they didn't always.  I ended up blowing things a bit before getting the full intro.  But not everyone is me! I'm also fairly aware of how my body reacts to some foods.

@Ginsky and @HopingtoHeal - I can relate to you finding that the things you love are not actually real friends.  I think I cried for about a year when I was told I was having a major reation to refined sugar.  Life without cake and chocolate took some adjustment - there were no friendly alternatives at that time. :o

@Lizzard - thanks to your instructions, I eventually got a photo into the frame - 4 days before we finish!  I'm pleased to say the double chin is not there any more

Well, I'm feeling good and totally accepting that I might need to go another 18 days.  I'm waiting for the coconut amino company to reply about whether they add the coconut sugar after fermenting or if it's a result of fermentation.  So I'm imagining it will be the former and I'm on a longer journey.

Been cooking up some goodies lately. Turkey meatballs with tomato sauce and courgetti was amazing.  I added a few chopped anchovies to the tom sauce which really deepened the flavour.  Then vegetable and prawn red thai curry last night with cauliflower rice.  I've found a compliant curry paste which made my day,

@Ginsky @Pippin1 I may have been hasty in my assumption on the tomatoes! Today I got the "monthly" visitor (monthly in inverted commas because with PCOS it is rarely monthly) which is a source of huge rejoicing in terms of being on a road to healing my body, my last cycle was a mammoth 48 days and this means that one was 39 which is heading in the right direction! Sorry if that is all a bit TMI, but all that to say, I am back to thinking perhaps my skin breaking out has been hormonal! Happy to give it a little while before cutting out the tomatoes. Now I just need to resist the urge to eat chocolate! Haha!

14 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, so this is absolutely related to your not eating enough... and if you did that for an entire week where you didn't eat template meals, your body is going to start to conserve energy for vital functions.  Tiger blood week is not guaranteed regardless of what you eat.. if you eat low volume, lots of fruit and nuts on their own (not saying you did, just giving all the info for others reading), skip meals etc... you absolutely will not feel good. 'Tiger Blood' is actually the result of fat adaptation... you can't acheive this if you spend a week undereating... 

My issue this past week. Dropped my daughter off to camp and ate a few too many cashews on the road. Not feeling that much different, than on day 15. Clothes fit a lot better. Will keep going !!
Plan on cutting down nuts and potatoes. Dont feel good after eating those !

15 hours ago, WholeCourtney said:

Nothing beats the ninja!

@C. Page I had a "nightmare" last night that I ate something non compliant. I was devastated to have to start over on Day 25. I was SO relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream!

5 days to go everyone, whoooohooo!!!!!!

How is everything planning on handling the reintroduction phase? Im torn between following the plan exactly in the book and just trying things as they come up.

I think i am going to keep going. Will probably reintroduce beans, peas and Quinoa, in the week following june 30. Definitely reintroducing red wine. I miss my old friend ! Nothing like a nice glass of red with a good meal in the evening. Will probably just do it once in a while - really cut down on it.

9 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

@Ginsky @Pippin1 I may have been hasty in my assumption on the tomatoes! Today I got the "monthly" visitor (monthly in inverted commas because with PCOS it is rarely monthly) which is a source of huge rejoicing in terms of being on a road to healing my body, my last cycle was a mammoth 48 days and this means that one was 39 which is heading in the right direction! Sorry if that is all a bit TMI, but all that to say, I am back to thinking perhaps my skin breaking out has been hormonal! Happy to give it a little while before cutting out the tomatoes. Now I just need to resist the urge to eat chocolate! Haha!

I can relate in some ways. My circus comes to town regularly but with a LOT of to do made about it. Cramps, bloating, kill every one and thing and my boobs, good lord painful to put it nicely. This month. Nothing, nada, just quietly waltzed in (3 days early) and even more quietly breezed right out. :o 

Alrighty, then!

Are people thinking about reintroduction items yet? If so, what are they? 

Im not really keen to reintroduce but I know it's that or go hungry on this huge camping trip...

7 hours ago, Srini said:

I think i am going to keep going. Will probably reintroduce beans, peas and Quinoa, in the week following june 30. Definitely reintroducing red wine. I miss my old friend ! Nothing like a nice glass of red with a good meal in the evening. Will probably just do it once in a while - really cut down on it.

I'm curious? Is red wine always sour?? I usually stick with tequila. I'm a two pot screamer so I'm in bed after two shots. Cheap date my husband always says. But it happens only at Chrissie. I'm allowed Ha! 

I miss beans sometimes but similar to tequila. 

In sort of afraid to reintroduce because I don't want the right fitting clothes, the health worries and the basic blah feelings. This comes from doing W30 a few times now. I'll just have to pull my head in after this big trip, then, won't I. ☺️

13 hours ago, Shawnni said:

I'm curious? Is red wine always sour?? I usually stick with tequila. I'm a two pot screamer so I'm in bed after two shots. Cheap date my husband always says. But it happens only at Chrissie. I'm allowed Ha! 

In sort of afraid to reintroduce because I don't want the right fitting clothes, the health worries and the basic blah feelings. This comes from doing W30 a few times now. I'll just have to pull my head in after this big trip, then, won't I. ☺️

I know what you mean about reintro nerves.  I'm feeling pretty good right now and things are moving in the right direction.  I'll be waiting 2-3 weeks before reintroducing anything, but it will then be another month of Whole 30ish to get that phase put to bed.

I think this forum thread has made things particularly doable this time round.  A very active and supportive bunch.  I'm also going to look at the Whole 9 thing.  I noticed someone started a whole9 challenge at the beginning of the year.  So maybe something like that would be good to do.

I don't like booze fortunately but am looking forward to tofu and liquid aminos.  Weird eh?

1 minute ago, Pippin1 said:

I know what you mean about reintro nerves.  I'm feeling pretty good right now and things are moving in the right direction.  I'll be waiting 2-3 weeks before reintroducing anything, but it will then be another month of Whole 30ish to get that phase put to bed.

I think this forum thread has made things particularly doable this time round.  A very active and supportive bunch.  I'm also going to look at the Whole 9 thing.  I noticed someone started a whole9 challenge at the beginning of the year.  So maybe something like that would be good to do.

I don't like booze fortunately but am looking forward to tofu and liquid aminos.  Weird eh?

What is Whole9? I feel like I can't get a grasp on what it actually is?

I agree this forum thread has been such a great support, nice to be "in it together"

Reintroduction is tricky for me as I go off to be on team on a residential youth camp on Saturday for a week. Recent emails with the cook have put my nerves at ease a bit. It is unrealistic to imagine I could fully stick to Whole30 rules in that situation so I have said I must be gluten dairy and refined sugar free but I am willing to give gluten free pasta, oats and rice a go. I will take lots of things with me as back ups but it seems that the cook has a pretty good handle on what I can't have and I suggested that spreading out when I try things like pasta or oats will be helpful as it will allow me to handle them in a manner fitting to reintroduction. It's so not ideal but it's the best I can do in the circumstances! 

I'm not totally certain myself but I think it's not an official whole30 site but a place where people support each other to live paleo-stylee and look at 9 principles to a healthy life eg: stress management, nutrition, fun etc.  I saw a post from someone that was starting up a whole9 with one them a month for 9 months.

I think the summer camp introducing gluten-free grains first sounds like a plan.  When I get to it in a few weeks I think that will be my first re-intro of choice.  I know I've been on travels in the past where half my luggage has been food back-ups.  Can't tell you how enjoyable cold tinned sprouts and tinned mackerel is balanced on your knee in a B&B.   

I hope there is something I can do to continue within the framework as my aching joints are not quite where I'd like them to be.

• Moderators

@Pippin1 and @HopingtoHeal

The Whole9 is/was the parent company of the Whole30.  I'm not sure where it ended up with the business split when Dallas and Melissa separated but it does have the food manifestos (linked here http://whole9life.com/resources/) as well as the 9 Factors (linked here http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/).  It's more informational than 'supportive' persay...

We do have a thread going that one of our awesome long time members started/hosts below which you're welcome to join.

)

Hello everyone and hello day 27!  

I think I'm having chili for lunch in a bit, probably with sweet potato, I'll figure it out for sure soon enough.  

I made green eggs with a side of bacon for breakfast.  I don't remember the exact recipe measurements given but I read it a few years ago from Paleo Mom.  Fresh spinach and eggs, salt, pepper, in a blender until smooth.  Pour into hot greased/oiled pan, cover until done, no stirring or scrambling.  I go through phases where I make it a lot but probably hadn't had it in a few months.    

Well, I just finished dinner which makes me feel like day 27 is done.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to accidentally go out and buy some junk food on my way to bed so I'll call this day another success.  3 days/9 meals to go until the start of the intro phase.  

I put the rest of my chili in the freezer after lunch because I think I've had enough of it for this week.  lol  I rubbed a steak with lots of salt and cocoa powder plus a dash of cumin and let it sit out for about an hour before pan searing/frying it in bacon grease from this morning's breakfast.  It was a big steak so I only ate half of it but it sure was delicious and I am looking forward to having the other half tomorrow.  I made a little sauce with mayo and tarragon for it since I wasn't sure the fat in the steak was enough.  Green beans were my dinner veggies of choice to go with my steak.    

23 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Are people thinking about reintroduction items yet? If so, what are they? 

Im not really keen to reintroduce but I know it's that or go hungry on this huge camping trip...

I might start with reintroducing molasses and then a few days later on the 4th try having an alcoholic organic cider.  As far as the 7th and beyond, I haven't decided yet.  I'm in no rush.  

I do keep wondering how much SWYPO would be acceptable at that point.  

On 6/26/2017 at 9:08 PM, Shawnni said:

Nah - not sour. Just plain damn delicious and complex. I love it ........ cannot overdo it - messes with sleep. One glass with dinner can be divine.

Wow it's hard to believe this Whole30 round is nearly over.  I really appreciate having had such a powerful wave such as this group to carry me along.  From the onset I was about 90% compliant during the prep period and after a few days of total compliance starting 6/1 I returned to the a.m. protein shake that has helped me for so long with adrenal burnout issues.  So I have not completed a Whole 30 compliant program.  But I had many compliant days as time went on and learned a lot, not just from my experience but from all of you.  I consider myself very blessed.  I gained insight that I will adopt for life.  I am going to do this again when I am ready but with total compliance.  It is an ingenious plan.  

Best wishes to all of you in this group, and others traveling their personal Whole30 paths!  I will be looking for you on the forum!

Jane

23 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

@Pippin1 and @HopingtoHeal

The Whole9 is/was the parent company of the Whole30.  I'm not sure where it ended up with the business split when Dallas and Melissa separated but it does have the food manifestos (linked here http://whole9life.com/resources/) as well as the 9 Factors (linked here http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/).  It's more informational than 'supportive' persay...

We do have a thread going that one of our awesome long time members started/hosts below which you're welcome to join.

)

Thank you so much @SugarcubeOD I think I'll get on that thread at some point. 

@Ginsky Green eggs?!  That's brilliant.  I'm off to get spinach first thing tomorrow :D.  I do love a simple dish.

@Jane3797 Adrenal burnout protein shake. That sounds interesting.  Would you mind sharing your mix as I have a friend who does the same but still really suffers enormously with her energy levels.

I made the chicken chowder last night - gorgeous.  I'm also noticing some body changes - at last - hurrah!  Aches and pains still plague me but I'm going to get medical input tomorrow and insisting on some bloods - and maybe a scan.  Day 28 people.  How amazing are we?

Day 28:  It's been pretty quiet on her as of late.  I hope everyone is doing well and they are noticing lots of NSV's.  I can honestly say that I see a difference in my body appearance - can't wait for the before and after pictures.  I can't say that I feel much different, but I didn't feel bad before I started - just a bit pudgy.  Thanks to everyone during this journey.  This blog has been helpful and a treat to peruse each day.  Can't wait to hear about people's results here soon.

2 hours ago, Lizzard said:

Day 28:  It's been pretty quiet on her as of late.  I hope everyone is doing well and they are noticing lots of NSV's.  I can honestly say that I see a difference in my body appearance - can't wait for the before and after pictures.  I can't say that I feel much different, but I didn't feel bad before I started - just a bit pudgy.  Thanks to everyone during this journey.  This blog has been helpful and a treat to peruse each day.  Can't wait to hear about people's results here soon.

NSV stuff - I am currently wearing pants that I was unable to wear at all when I first bought them (about six weeks ago) and they currently fit comfortably, and I have been getting a good number of comments from people at the gym and at work about looking like I have lost weight.

I've been working out a lot and it is showing in that I am freaking exhausted.  I've been doing doubles (spin class in the morning and at night) and I haven't been getting enough sleep so I am really feeling it.  Probably going to just do a single tomorrow and then skip Friday altogether.

Re-introduction...

I think my first meal off is just going to be regular smoked sausage along with those hashbrowns in the green bag from the refrigerated section of the grocery store along with my usual local pastured eggs.  I might even put some ketchup on the hashbrowns!

Archived