Past reintroduction - dealing with "addiction"

Does anyone have any thoughts about dealing with the emotions that come up after you've slain the sugar dragon? I'm past my Whole30 - one day off for Mother's Day, and am back on the program. I've noticed that all of the issues I was masking through sugar - like feeling my feelings and dealing with stress - are still there. Do I need to work a 12 Step program now? 

Has anyone else struggled in the days and weeks after the Whole30? I had an amazing month...but now I feel a little like an addict after detox and rehab, trying to find a new way to be in the world. 

Thanks,

Margaret

• Moderators

The only way to really effectively deal with the feelings is to feel them instead of ignoring or hiding them. If you want a 12-step program geared toward food, rather than alcohol or drugs, you could look for an Overeaters Anonymous chapter near you -- I've never tried it, but it's supposed to not tell you how to eat, but just be working on the same 12 steps of recovery that other programs, like AA, use. Journaling may help, or talking to a therapist. I just stumbled across this article today, and it seems to have some helpful tips:  https://blogs.psychcentral.com/imperfect/2017/05/feel-your-feelings-they-will-set-you-free/#.WR81710WZRU.twitter

I really believe the stuff after Whole30, where you have to figure out how to live your life without the black and white rules of Whole30, is harder than the initial 30 days. I'd encourage you to read through the I Finished My Whole30 section of the website for more information about what to do after your Whole30, and maybe check out the book Food Freedom Forever. 

Shannon, thank you so much for the article link. I was so focused on getting through the Whole30 that thinking about life afterwards just didn't come up. I'm finishing up therapy after my mother died two years ago. We've talked often about coping mechanisms, feeling my feelings, and codependency so all of this is fresh in my mind. Learning to actually implement the strategies is taking a while, but unlearning over 30 years of coping mechanisms will take time. Patience, young grasshopper self. 

I have FFF on hold at the library. :)

Thanks again. This community is so amazing!

Margaret

Archived