Suffering for years from "adrenal burnout"

Jane3797

Hi all, starting 6/1 and REALLY excited.  I have had a classic case of "adrenal burnout" for years and was given the information to take in 30 grams protein within the first. 30 minutes of waking up  Since interrupted sleep became the norm, progressing to every 2-3 hours, I am no longer a morning person, so certainly not into cooking breakfast.  This challenged me to find a protein shake that was quick and fulfilled the gram requirements.

I've been taking a pea protein with pumpkin seed protein, sunflower seed protein, alfalfa protein, tart cherry, probiotics, bromelain, turmeric, black pepper, sea salt, and less than 2% of natural caramel flavor, natural vanilla flavor, stevia extract and xanthan gum, in order to kick in muscle energy as opposed to hormonal.  I add a vegetable prebiotic for fiber, a quarter to half cup pure aloe juice, a scoop of Concentrated polyphenols (1 scoop =250 mg fructooligosaccharides) with other ingredients citric acid, natural flavors, guar gum, rebaudioside A, silica, D-calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid, pyroxidine hydrochloride, chromium dinicocysteinate, thiamin hydrochloride, and metylcobalamin;  and the rest filtered water.

I think I already see what is wrong with this for the Whole 30.  Will you pick it apart for me?   Do you have any replacement suggestions?  It really has been helping my exhaustion.  Maybe it is time to assume I no longer have burnout?

Many thanks, Jane

Hi Jane - that protein powder is not compliant and smoothies are discouraged while on the Whole 30.   How about making egg cups or a breakfast casserole that you can just reheat in the morning?  Leftovers are also a great option.  I know it can be tough to eat real food first thing if you are not a morning person.  Do the best you can and, if you can't finish your meal, pack it up and eat it as soon as you are able.

4 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

Hi all, starting 6/1 and REALLY excited.  I have had a classic case of "adrenal burnout" for years and was given the information to take in 30 grams protein within the first. 30 minutes of waking up  Since interrupted sleep became the norm, progressing to every 2-3 hours, I am no longer a morning person, so certainly not into cooking breakfast.  This challenged me to find a protein shake that was quick and fulfilled the gram requirements.

I've been taking a pea protein with pumpkin seed protein, sunflower seed protein, alfalfa protein, tart cherry, probiotics, bromelain, turmeric, black pepper, sea salt, and less than 2% of natural caramel flavor, natural vanilla flavor, stevia extract and xanthan gum, in order to kick in muscle energy as opposed to hormonal.  I add a vegetable prebiotic for fiber, a quarter to half cup pure aloe juice, a scoop of Concentrated polyphenols (1 scoop =250 mg fructooligosaccharides) with other ingredients citric acid, natural flavors, guar gum, rebaudioside A, silica, D-calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid, pyroxidine hydrochloride, chromium dinicocysteinate, thiamin hydrochloride, and metylcobalamin;  and the rest filtered water.

I think I already see what is wrong with this for the Whole 30.  Will you pick it apart for me?   Do you have any replacement suggestions?  It really has been helping my exhaustion.  Maybe it is time to assume I no longer have burnout?

Many thanks, Jane

Hi Jane and welcome to Whole30! As you plan your June 1 start, consider your breakfasts (often renamed in Whole30 Land as Meal One) as part of your hormonal reset.

Smoothies are strongly discouraged on Whole30. We ask you to eat your food.

This particular smoothie is specifically ruled out (as in, it violates the Whole30 rules and cannot be taken during a Whole30)because of the pea protein, caramel flavor (a sneaky sugar), aloe juice, and fructooligosaccarides.

You state: "was given the information to take in 30 grams protein within 30 minutes of waking up." If this is doctors' orders, so be it. But it is not something you will have heard from the Whole30 program, nor is it the way Whole30 considers food.

Whole30 is really simple. Here's what Whole30 asks you to do:

1. 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (meat, eggs, fish, chicken - where eggs are your sole source of protein, they are as many as you can hold in your hand; for many women, that's 3-4; eat the yolks!)

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size portions of fat

3. 2-3 cups veggies - fill your plate with vegetables

Do that three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking.

In this context, your smoothie provides you no protein (legumes are out for Whole30 as highly inflammatory); very little fat (pumpkin seeds are a fat for Whole30 purposes and are to be limited as they are a poorer source of fat nutrition than other fat sources); and no vegetables. Also, it is a smoothie rather than food.

If you are under a doctor's care for treatment of adrenal fatigue, you might discuss your Whole30 plans with your doctor, and consider appropriate supplementation and changing of routines. My doctor helped me deal with a severe case of adrenal fatigue using supplements that did not involve smoothies with really long, mostly unpronounceable ingredients lists that included lots of sugar. You can tackle adrenal fatigue in a healthy way, and Whole30 can be a part of dealing with it. Whole30's recommendation to eat a FULL MEAL within one hour of waking goes a very long way to the hormonal reset necessary to dealing with adrenal fatigue. And for those of us for whom it's not enough, medical professionals who work with adrenal fatigue can advise as to proper treatment. Help is out there.

The best way to find ideas for eating breakfast (or meal one) on Whole30 is to use google rather than the forum search feature. Google Whole30 + breakfast to find lots and lots (and lots and lots) of ideas. Then you can give a few things a try before you begin your official Whole30. You got this!

Thank you JulieP757, MeadowLily and AmyS:  I am grateful for the great advice.  I am encouraged and ready to investigate other Whole food protein sources for breakfast, and forgoing the high protein shake.  It is only for 30 days, one day at a time x 30, and then one day at a time x 30 years.  I did this before with another matter, and time being relative, it is going to pass with or without our goals so we might as well make it with!  Best to you, Jane

2 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

Thank you JulieP757, MeadowLily and AmyS:  I am grateful for the great advice.  I am encouraged and ready to investigate other Whole food protein sources for breakfast, and forgoing the high protein shake.  It is only for 30 days, one day at a time x 30, and then one day at a time x 30 years.  I did this before with another matter, and time being relative, it is going to pass with or without our goals so we might as well make it with!  Best to you, Jane

Wow, the bolded part of your comment really hits home. That is a truly beautiful and empowering view of life. Thank you for sharing that. :wub:

Archived