Propel vs water vs alternative?

Hello I have just recently started the whole 30 and I'm  having a hard time getting all of my water in for the day,  and feeling a bit dehydrated lately.  Prior to the whole 30 I have had a complicated relationship with water I grew up hating it because we had rust in our water I have been trying really hard the last few years to drink more. Recently I decreased the amount of propel I was drinking and I started using powdered propel and I got down to a 32 ounce bottle of water with 1 packet which is half the amount recommended. I have tried straight water and find it disgusting, I tried la croix and other similar drinks and dislike them as well. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated I'm tired of wanting water and not drinking it,  it's probably a the thing that I miss the most. Thank you in advance. #thirstyinwashington

How about squeezing lemon or lime or orange or tangerine, etc in your water? Or getting a water infuser and infusing strawberries, cucumbers, mint, etc? I used to find plain water gross, too. But once I cut out sugary drinks I came to love it. I especially love ice ice ice cold water. Room temp, not so much.

• Moderators

If you're willing to pay for water, you could try different bottled waters -- some brands are either natural mineral waters or have minerals added that can change the taste of the water. You may prefer the mineral waters, or you may prefer ones that are more pure tasting. If you prefer to not have the mineral ones, you might look into a water filtration system that will remove most of those from tap water so you're not having to constantly buy bottled.

Try your water at different temperatures. Some people love ice water, some prefer room temperature, and you could even go for warm/hot water if that sounds good to you.

For infusing water, you don't need any special equipment, although they sell special infuser pitchers and bottles. Just rinse whatever fruits, vegetables, or herbs you like, slice them, put them into a container of water in the fridge overnight, and the next day you'll have flavored water. This site has a ton of different flavor combinations, just be sure whatever you choose is Whole30 compliant: http://www.infusedwaters.com/

Over time, you'll get more used to the taste of water, just like anything else. If you're used to sweet things, you'll find that if you really embrace the recommendations for Whole30 -- following the meal template and limiting fruit to not more than a couple of fist-sized servings a day -- you'll start to lose that need for the overly sweetened stuff and start to notice that even things like carrots and tomatoes are actually sweet.

• Moderators

If you've tried all of that, then this sounds like one of those things where you're just going to have to suck it up and drink the water even though you don't like the taste, because you're an adult and you know it's good for you, and sometimes as adults we have to do things we don't like because we know it's good for us.

Figure out how many ounces of water you need to drink in a day (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, though you may need to work up to that over a week or so), divide that into a manageable amount per serving  (4 oz? 8 oz?) and set a timer on your phone. When the timer goes off, drink a serving of water. Try to plan it so you're mostly done drinking water a couple of hours before bedtime, especially at first, to try to limit having to get up at night.

It's so very important not to get dehydrated. It doesn't matter what age you are. Drink water for your blood pressure and heart. Your muscles and joints.  Every part of your being needs water.  A constant state of dehydration can bring on things you do not want over the long haul.

Many people have no idea that they're in state of dehydration.  Drink 16 oz upon awakening and especially if you are a coffee drinker.  Two cups water for every cuppa coffee. 

These sugary infused waters, especially the ones sweetened with something really artificial affect your blood sugar.  Drink water like it's your job. 

Archived