Emotional eating

So before this diet I was a big emotional eater and I'm on day 8 of this diet and I'm having major cravings but I'm not giving in. But I have noticed that sometimes when I'm craving something I start to feel sad and like I want to cry. I have been super emotional and I do find myself on the verge of tears sometimes. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this? 

• Moderators

This is completely normal!  When we can no longer use food to numb our feelings (which is basically the underpinning of emotional eating), we're forced to feel them... the sadness right now might be because you're actually sad, or it could be another emotion that you want to supress and when you don't, you can end up grieving your old coping mechanisms... again, totally normal!  The fact that you're noticing this is actually a huge opportunity for you! Pay attention to how you feel, be curious about the feelings and emotions... if you write, write down how you were feeling, what happened when this came up, how you would normally deal with it, what it feels like etc... this is personal growth! So exciting!

Thank you for the advice, I work at a grocery store too and I see things that I want so badly and I'm feeling really sad today.. I will have to start a journal and note everything I'm feeling. I'm not used to feeling these feelings because I would always mask them with food. But nice to know that it's normal :)

On 5/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, Olson_stephaniee said:

Thank you for the advice, I work at a grocery store too and I see things that I want so badly and I'm feeling really sad today.. I will have to start a journal and note everything I'm feeling. I'm not used to feeling these feelings because I would always mask them with food. But nice to know that it's normal :)

Focus on the foods you can eat instead of what is off limits. When you realize how many options you have, I think you would feel better. Also, don't visit the grocery store when you're hungry because the temptation to pick up off-plan items will be hard to resist. I hope that helps.

Archived