Coconut Tree Sap

kelimation

I'm excited to try Territory food delivery (which is Whole30 Approved), but in being extra diligent, I noticed that one of their Whole30 meals includes a sauce with coconut tree sap. I've seen it mentioned as an approved ingredient in coconut aminos, but is it approved on its own? (Or is it like white wine, which is approved as an ingredient in white wine vinegar, but not on its own?) It seems like coconut tree sap is basically just coconut sugar, so I would assume it's not approved, but I'm shocked to find it in a Whole30 Approved product!

On 5/22/2017 at 1:45 PM, laura_juggles said:

I'd ask them if they mean that it's coconut aminos in the sauce (and explain that if it's not, then they shouldn't say it's a Whole30 meal). They'll be able to answer better than we would.

I'm waiting for a reply from the Territory folks, but just to confirm: if the coconut tree sap is not an ingredient in the coconut aminos, but rather a stand-alone ingredient, then it is not compliant, correct?

UPDATE: Below is the response I got from the folks at Territory. They are awesome!

"I checked with our Whole30 compliance team and found out that the Chicken Satay w/ Sunflower Sauce, Broccoli & Sweet Potato Mash meal is a Whole30 compliant product.

"You may already know the way aminos are made, but just in case I wanted to include the explanation. The nectar itself is harvested from the coconut flower blossoms (not the tree itself, as the word "sap" might indicate). From there, you can do a few things with the nectar: brew it down with sea salt and water (natural fermentation may be part of this process) and turn it into aminos; dry it and allow it to granulate, turning it into coconut sugar; or sell it as coconut syrup, a liquid sweetener substitute.

"So technically, all aminos are derived from a sugar source—but not all labels are clear about that. Which means that according to the current rules, some brands of aminos are out, while some are allowed, based solely on the way the companies chose to write the ingredients on the label.

"I can see where this would be confusing since in the ingredients coconut aminos and coconut tree sap are listed as separate items, when in fact the aminos in the meal are derived from the 'sap'.

"Thanks for pointing this out! We're looking into ways to make this clearer on our new meal ingredient display approach."

• 9 months later...

Archived