Starting May 29th!

AbbieP

Hi Whole30 Community!

I am very excited to do the Whole30 program for the first time! I will be starting on Monday, May 29th.

I am so happy to be making this commitment for myself. I first learned of Whole30 about 4 years ago and had always thought of it as too extreme and undoable for me. Over the past couple years, however, I have found myself in a place of bad eating habits and a less-than-stellar outlook on eating and drinking. After reading all the possible benefits of the program and talking to friends who have followed through with their journeys, I have decided to make the promise to myself to complete the Whole30. I am confident that I will be able to do this! I am looking forward to feeling better both psychologically and physically. 

I know in 30 days (or 36 days, technically) I will be thanking myself!

Abbie, I will be joining you on the 29th!  This is my first time, too.  I'm also pretty nervous, but am seriously sick of my eating/drinking/sleeping (or lack thereof) habits.  Let's cheer each other on!

Have you thought about meal preps or are you going to wing it with some recipes each week?

I would love to do the Whole30 with you!! I think I'm going to start with some of the spaghetti squash recipes and sandwiches that use sweet potatoes as the "bread." I'm still researching some recipes but when I find some good ones I will definitely share them with you.

I'm traveling today so I'm not doing meal prep until tomorrow, but I'm going to stop at Snap Kitchen for Whole30 approved meals my Day 1.

How is your prepping going on so far?

Hi everyone,

I am starting tomorrow 5/29/2017 for the first time. I have been reading the book and tried a few recipes including the mayo recipe. I am going to the grocery store later today. I am going to try to start the first week with the 7 day plan in the book, with a few modifications to use some of the meat and veggies I already have at home. I also want to try the marinades that are approved ( The New Primal) so i have something  hand for a quick dinner.  I will need to have a solid plan in place with work and kids schedules, winging it may not work for me. 

Best of luck everyone!!

I tried the mayo recipe today too! I also ended up making the frittata recipe and the cauliflower fried rice with hardboiled eggs for breakfasts this week. For lunch, I made the traditional protein salad with chicken and then roasted vegetables with Mexican ground turkey. I plan to alternate recipes each day. I will probably end up preparing my dinners daily since meal prepping took me 4 hours for just breakfasts and lunches. Hopefully, I'll get better at it.

Sounds like you had a great first day Abbie! I did a lot  of prepping also and I hope that helps today go smoother, as i am back to work. I made the zucchini frittata yesterday with leftovers for today. And the protein salad for lunch with leftovers today. Yesterday we grilled a natural chicken sausage, portabello mushrooms and potatoes. I have lots of easy leftovers today. And for dinner today  I prepped a spaghetti squash and made the tomato sauce, so all I have to do is brown the meat today. I think we will appreciate all the prepping we did yesterday ! Good luck today!!!  Did you like the mayo? I loved it the first day, but it separated the second day. I might try the approved store bought one next time. :)

I started yestrrday. This will be my 3rd attempt to finish a Whole30 (sneaky ingredients ) round. Yesterday was good but, as it says in the book, I feel like I have the worst hangover. The headache is terrible! Trying to find the energy to throw food together to cook it for supper. I know I haven't eaten enough so far today. A banana for breakfast and a couple carrots for lunch. Not too hungry (headache is making me sick to my stomach)....so I'm thinking chicken and taters 

Started May 29th as well! Very excited and nervous. Looking to ( I know that we are "supposed" focus on this, but...) lose weight to help with sciatica, bring down inflammation in my body, and help me heal my relationship with food overall. GL, everyone!

17 hours ago, JulieM48 said:

Sounds like you had a great first day Abbie! I did a lot  of prepping also and I hope that helps today go smoother, as i am back to work. I made the zucchini frittata yesterday with leftovers for today. And the protein salad for lunch with leftovers today. Yesterday we grilled a natural chicken sausage, portabello mushrooms and potatoes. I have lots of easy leftovers today. And for dinner today  I prepped a spaghetti squash and made the tomato sauce, so all I have to do is brown the meat today. I think we will appreciate all the prepping we did yesterday ! Good luck today!!!  Did you like the mayo? I loved it the first day, but it separated the second day. I might try the approved store bought one next time. :)

It was a pretty good day! It sounds like you had a really good one too. I enjoyed the meal prep and am looking forward to doing it again this weekend. I think easy leftovers are definitely the key. There are so many good recipes out there that are Whole30 approved. I wish I had discovered this earlier because the food is so good. The spaghetti squash sounds really good. I do like the mayo. Mine hasn't separated yet, but I will keep you posted a let you know if it does. 

Meal prepping is definitely life-saving during this. Although, I do live near a Snap Kitchen, so if I'm ever in a pinch it's an easy compliant meal I can pick up!

Day 3 everyone!

@PinkBananas ....I hear you on knowing we're "not supposed" to focus on losing weight. I think it's gonna be a great perk! For me, I'm also, in the back of my mind think if I don't low I'm doing something wrong.

@AbbieP....I haven't tried making the mayo yet. I was thinking the ketchup would be a good one to try. Wtg on finding a compliant "go to" place in a pinch!

@JulieM48   .....what seasonings did you use for the tomato sauce?

@mpass .......How are things going with you?

I definitely need to meal prep. Sounds like a life saver (we never have much for leftovers it seems). Any advice?

Hello friends! I also started on 5/29.  My first challenge was attending a major league baseball game on my first day!  We were in a special section, so away from all of the tempting concessions.  I would really like to make the salmon cakes in the 7 day meal plan, but having a hard time finding canned sweet potatoes without syrup.  Any ideas on where to find them without sugar? or can I use fresh sweet potato?  Good luck to all!

Thanks Julie! that is helpful.  I've been trying to avoid Whole Foods as I'm guessing I will spend $50 just walking through the door, but I understand that they probably have everything I'm looking for without having to run to multiple stores to find it. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, jhecker said:

Hello friends! I also started on 5/29.  My first challenge was attending a major league baseball game on my first day!  We were in a special section, so away from all of the tempting concessions.  I would really like to make the salmon cakes in the 7 day meal plan, but having a hard time finding canned sweet potatoes without syrup.  Any ideas on where to find them without sugar? or can I use fresh sweet potato?  Good luck to all!

I always just use fresh sweet potatoes. Bake them, let them cool enough you can handle them, and then pull the skin off. I've heard of people using canned pumpkin puree or even mashed butternut squash instead, but haven't tried those.

• Moderators
On 5/30/2017 at 4:25 AM, JulieM48 said:

You could probably stir the mayo to recombine it, or possibly blend it with an immersion blend just for a second. It shouldn't separate like that, but if it does, it shouldn't hurt anything, as long as it still tastes okay. If you can't get it to recombine, you could use it to marinate chicken breasts in, you don't need to throw it away.

• Moderators
On 5/30/2017 at 0:12 PM, Brensuma said:

I started yestrrday. This will be my 3rd attempt to finish a Whole30 (sneaky ingredients ) round. Yesterday was good but, as it says in the book, I feel like I have the worst hangover. The headache is terrible! Trying to find the energy to throw food together to cook it for supper. I know I haven't eaten enough so far today. A banana for breakfast and a couple carrots for lunch. Not too hungry (headache is making me sick to my stomach)....so I'm thinking chicken and taters 

There's a good chance that not eating is just making the headache worse, so definitely try to eat something. Go ahead and prep tonight for breakfast tomorrow so you have no excuse not to eat. Remember that there are no special breakfast foods -- anything you eat at any other meal works great for your first meal of the day too. So you could have eggs if you want them, or make enough chicken tonight to have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow. You'll continue to feel worse if you don't eat.

I hope everyone's Day 3 went well and Day 4 is going even better! It's been going well for me so far--luckily, no hangover feelings! I hope all the headaches that you are experiencing go away soon. Just hang in there! I'm certain it will get better!

@JulieM48 my mayo hasn't separated yet, but I'm sure you could try re-blending yours if you haven't tossed it yet. 

@jhecker I found a brand on Amazon of canned sweet potatoes with no other ingredients that you could look for (https://www.amazon.com/Farmers-Market-Organic-Sweet-Potato/dp/B000WCYD7C/ref=sr_1_3_a_f_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496324619&sr=8-3&ppw=fresh&keywords=canned+sweet+potatoes). If you have Amazon Fresh, I'm sure you could order it. 

Good luck with the rest of Day 4 everyone!

Hello

Day 5, like all of you I started on May 29th, First time, trying to combat a whole host of health issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, headaches, lots of lower back pain, early signs of arthritis in my hips, and generally very poor sleep - always tired, not matter how much sleep I was getting).  I've had a terrible diet, and knew it was time to make a lifestyle change in order to feel better.

I didn't join in on the forum earlier, because it felt like a lot or pressure, but I'm curious.... has anyone else on Day 5 felt arm and leg fatigue?

So far I have experienced the headache the first 3 days, trying to make sure I have enough water.  I cut out caffeine because I couldn't drink my tea without milk.  While I know I'm allowed herbal tea (and have had that) I decided to cut out caffeine because I had way too much.  I generally feel ok now, just the weird sensation of super tired legs and arms.  

Not sure if this is a normal side effect?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Mysirap said:

Hello

Day 5, like all of you I started on May 29th, First time, trying to combat a whole host of health issues (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, headaches, lots of lower back pain, early signs of arthritis in my hips, and generally very poor sleep - always tired, not matter how much sleep I was getting).  I've had a terrible diet, and knew it was time to make a lifestyle change in order to feel better.

I didn't join in on the forum earlier, because it felt like a lot or pressure, but I'm curious.... has anyone else on Day 5 felt arm and leg fatigue?

So far I have experienced the headache the first 3 days, trying to make sure I have enough water.  I cut out caffeine because I couldn't drink my tea without milk.  While I know I'm allowed herbal tea (and have had that) I decided to cut out caffeine because I had way too much.  I generally feel ok now, just the weird sensation of super tired legs and arms.  

Not sure if this is a normal side effect?

Not really a normal side effect of whole30... is this all the time or when you're working out that you feel your limbs really fatigued? If it's just in general and doesn't resolve in a day or two, you should probably take a quick trip to the doctor... 

It's also possible that you're severely undereating and this is the side effect.  Do you want to list out what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits and water consumption and we can see if there's some tweaks to make but if the fatigue gets worse or is worrisome to you, go to the doctor, none here are medical professionals.

38 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Not really a normal side effect of whole30... is this all the time or when you're working out that you feel your limbs really fatigued? If it's just in general and doesn't resolve in a day or two, you should probably take a quick trip to the doctor... 

It's also possible that you're severely undereating and this is the side effect.  Do you want to list out what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits and water consumption and we can see if there's some tweaks to make but if the fatigue gets worse or is worrisome to you, go to the doctor, none here are medical professionals.

I think I've been doing well with my food and portions:

IT has just been today - and only exercise I have done is walking - trying to get away from my desk, or the tv and walk at least 30 minutes a day (compared to nothing)

Typical breakfast: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, Half an Avocado, usually leftover potatoes (1/2 Cup) from the night before and 1/2 cup of raspberries with Green Tea
Typical Lunch: Salad with lots of veggies, and protein including either shrimp or chicken, also have had 2 cups of spiraled zucchini with tomato and meat sauce (1 cup)
Typical Dinner: Potatoes, Protein (chicken, Lamb skewers, salmon) with either salad, or sliced tomatoes and avocado's.  Tried a recipe for a mock fried rice from Cauliflower, and veggies last night - but it didn't turn out.

Having said that - elements of the recipes (Whole 30) that I tried last night didn't turn out - so it's possible this is a result of not enough dinner last night, as I've only had these symptoms today.

Is this still concerning?  If it continues I would definitely get it checked out

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Mysirap said:

I think I've been doing well with my food and portions:

IT has just been today - and only exercise I have done is walking - trying to get away from my desk, or the tv and walk at least 30 minutes a day (compared to nothing)

Typical breakfast: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, Half an Avocado, usually leftover potatoes (1/2 Cup) from the night before and 1/2 cup of raspberries with Green Tea
Typical Lunch: Salad with lots of veggies, and protein including either shrimp or chicken, also have had 2 cups of spiraled zucchini with tomato and meat sauce (1 cup)
Typical Dinner: Potatoes, Protein (chicken, Lamb skewers, salmon) with either salad, or sliced tomatoes and avocado's.  Tried a recipe for a mock fried rice from Cauliflower, and veggies last night - but it didn't turn out.

Having said that - elements of the recipes (Whole 30) that I tried last night didn't turn out - so it's possible this is a result of not enough dinner last night, as I've only had these symptoms today.

Is this still concerning?  If it continues I would definitely get it checked out

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Your meals actually look awesome and I can't see anything I would change at this point, so just monitor it and if it doesn't resolve, off to the doc... it's probably just an end of the week, starting a new eating routine type tiredness, but again, concern=doctor :)

7 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your meals actually look awesome and I can't see anything I would change at this point, so just monitor it and if it doesn't resolve, off to the doc... it's probably just an end of the week, starting a new eating routine type tiredness, but again, concern=doctor :)

Thanks!  Meals have certainly become more colorful.  Will follow that advice!

Hi 5/29 starters! I must say I'm not looking forward to a weekend of temptations!  Fridays are normally pizza night for my family.  On the positive side, I made the butternut squash soup recipe last night from Whole 30 and it was delicious!  I've also been eating spaghetti squash with ground beef and compliant marinara from Aldi.  I've always wanted to try it but was afraid I wouldn't like it.  It was actually pretty good! (not as good as the soup.)  This weekend I'm going to make my own taco seasoning and make tacos for the family.  It will  be interesting to see if they notice that the seasoning is different from what we normally use.  I typically eat my tacos without a shell or tortilla, so hoping it just seems like a typical weekend meal for me.  I'm loving that we can have avocado.  I really love them!  also we are lucky that there are so many fresh fruits in season.  Good luck this weekend everyone and congrats on making it to day 5!  I have to admit that I haven't had any of the negative side effects that they talk about in the book, so waiting to see if any of that comes up this weekend.  Happy Friday!

Archived